Please Look: A cautionary fable | Teen Ink

Please Look: A cautionary fable

March 26, 2016
By EatKimchi BRONZE, Las Vegas, Nevada
EatKimchi BRONZE, Las Vegas, Nevada
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

A year back or so, during the reign of social media, there was a boy named Marcus.
Marcus loved to post everything about his life on social media. In fact, he made sure that not a second of his life passed by, even in school, without it being posted on one of his many, many social media accounts. He also made sure to use every social media app or program possible. Facebook? Of course! Twitter? Under 150 characters, of course! Instagram? Over 9,000 followers! AOL? It's an oldie, but a goodie! He eventually became known to all in his town, and even beyond. However, because he knew perfectly well about the dangers of the Internet, he made sure never to post his address or real name. Otherwise, everything was up for grabs, from his grades to what he ate for dinner every day. However, on one fateful day, when he was unaware, the consequences of posting his entire life on social media hit him like a train.
One Friday, Marcus received a message on his Twitter from someone named ^@^. It said, "hI little BOY I CaN See yOU." Marcus was a little freaked out, but he blocked it. Almost immediately, his Facebook pinged. He checked his messages, and, to his horror, he saw the same exact message from the same exact user. He blocked that message as well, and then, to his horror, his Instagram pinged... with the same exact message. Marcus panicked. He told his mother, and show her the messages. His mother called the police department, and a squad car was parked at the front of their house, guarding constantly. Just in case, a police officer stood guard in the house itself, his hand on his holster. They waited, and waited, and waited. And then? Marcus's phone rang.
Marcus, with immense forboding, answered it. Seven words came out and chilled him to the spine.
"Hi, little boy! Want an used car?"
Marcus, with confusion, said, "N-no. Who is this?"
The voice over the phone turned demonic and said, "Too bad! You get a car anyway!"
Marcus tensed. The police officer pulled his gun. His mother clenched a broom. They waited for something to happen. And absolutely nothing happened for the next 6 hours, as the messages were a promotion for a new movie called Emoti-terror. As it turned, everyone he knew had gotten the same messages, and he laughed, and laughed, and laughed as he walked to school. Then he got hit by a car, had his spine and skull crushed, and died on the street, because he didn't look both ways before crossing the street.
THE END