Set Me Free | Teen Ink

Set Me Free

March 21, 2016
By Jasmine-Anne SILVER, Fort Wayne, Indiana
Jasmine-Anne SILVER, Fort Wayne, Indiana
8 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Reality leaves a lot to the imagination," - John Lennon


   The waves beat periodically against her dangling feet; it was surging with something almost un-reachable. A sense of freedom that practically screamed of discontent, and lingering hints of insurgence. It was alluring, alike a siren; a temptation that would eventually lead to Chaos.


   She desired to let go, to be free in the idealistic grasp of the currents. The dry land no longer held her revere. Now even the thought of it was a symbol of her isolation, of the chains that held her back. Was it duty or morality that allowed her conscious to be held to such a place? Was even a matter that deserved to be stressed over?

   Truly she doubted anyone would notice the difference of her departure. Not the man at the market counter, not the little paper boy who threw the Sunday paper, not even the gaggle of elderly woman who loved to gossip so.

   So, maybe it wouldn’t be such a travesty to let go and follow this easy route once and for all. To be set free from the cage of self-loathing and seclusion. After much contemplation she slowly lowered her legs deeper into the cool ocean, ready to let go into the fields of azure and dusky grey. Finally she would be pulled away from such a miserable abode.


   Releasing her grip on the deck she had been sitting on, it was neither the waves nor the water that she was meet with. No, instead she was held back by two strong hands, which pulled her away from the destiny she had ached for.


   Before she could protest at this injustice she was pulled completely out of the water and into a strong embrace of another. The arms tightened around her, almost as if they were scared she would suddenly disappear.


   “Why do you allow them to rile you so dear Adriane?” An unfamiliar male voice breathed in her ear, with a tinge of sadness and fear.


   “What is your reasoning for caring good sir?” She replied monotone eyes still watching the sea with an aching want, “Why must you prevent me from my only form of true happiness?”

   At her words the arms became tighter around her.


   “True happiness does not involve your beautiful absence,” He intoned with passion. “Poseidon’s spawn Theseus does not deserve the presence of an Angel. Your innocence does not deserve his evils.”


   Adriane felt warmth, yet befuddlement at his kind words. How did he learn of her ails? No man, she had made sure of it, on this land knew of her involvement with Poseidon’s precious son.


   “May I inquire the name of the man who halted my destiny,” She inquired. “Postponed the inevitable?”


   As the arms loosened she turned around to create a vision of hear captor. A gasp escaped her lips, as purple, truly purple orbs stare back into her own.


   “’Tis not a man, but that above one, I am Dionysus Son of Zeus,” He regarded her softly. “I did not prevent destiny, no a prevented a kind-hearted, beautiful women from making a mistake.”

   Adriane’s heart thudded erratically at the claims of this man, no God had entrusted her with. Unlike Theseus he thought her to be worthy. Did that make her worthy? Was this lovely look flitting across those purple orbs a greater freedom than that of the sea?

   From the look painted across his perfect face, Adriane figured out she was going to discover that wither she liked it or not.


The author's comments:

Greek mythology has always been a point of interest for me. The tales that are spun hit home on many aspects. But one thing that had always stood out to me, was it mainly focused on the ''hero". Why not the people the hero left behind, or maybe even abandoned? What happened to these people? I can't really imagine them being just 'ok' after the one the held most dear left for what could be permenant. That is why I wrote this interpretation on Adriane after Theseus abandoned her, how she would've been before discovering Dionysus.