Adventures of the Incredibly Small Human | Teen Ink

Adventures of the Incredibly Small Human

This is really confusing.

It started out as a normal day. I woke up, went to school, enjoyed Anatomy, and suffered through the rest of my classes. While I was eating lunch, my friend walked into the room and announced that she had created a shrink ray. The only problem was, it could only shrink to cell size and you would end up stuck between her epithelial cells. Of course, I didn’t believe her. After all, she had only tested inanimate objects (which, of course, wouldn’t be able to tell her that they saw her cells up-close). So I decided to test her “shrink ray” out. I pointed it at myself and pulled the trigger.

No doubt about it, it worked.

I was stuck in the middle of a bunch of cubes. But they weren’t just any cubes. Something in the middle of each one resembled the nuclei in the diagram for epithelial cells in Anatomy class.

Now I don’t know about you, but I have always had a plan of what I would do if I was shrunk down and stuck inside someone’s body. I wanted to see the blood! It took some digging to get to the closest blood vessel (since I had to pass the epidermis and dermis), but it was worth it when I saw all the blood cells. I even got to witness mitosis taking place! First the prophase happened where the chromosomes condensed enough for me to see. Then, during metaphase, they all aligned in the middle before being separated in anaphase. Finally there was telophase, and two cells were created from one.

After that, I wanted to see membrane transport. I decided it would be cool to see passive transport, since substances are transported across the membrane without energy input from the cell. But diffusion or filtration? I decided on diffusion, because it would be really neat to see a cell use facilitated diffusion. It wasn’t too long before I found a cell doing just that: it was allowing certain lipid insoluble substances to pass through, but it was blocking out everything else. For being stuck inside my friend’s body, this was the best entertainment I could find!

However, after spending some time in her body, I got kind of lonely. The problem with being the size of a cell is that there isn’t anyone else your size to talk to. Even though most of my friends are shorter than me (calling me the ‘six foot one giant’), they were never this much smaller than me! Fortunately, this was about the time that my friend found a way to reverse the process of her shrink ray. Terrific! I was just in time for the next day’s anatomy class!

This will certify that the above work is completely original-Jessica Lippe

If you hadn't gotten it by now, this was a project for my Anatomy class. Hopefully someone will find use out of it if they have to study cells!