Now she lay me down to sleep | Teen Ink

Now she lay me down to sleep

By Timothy_Jacob GOLD, Wilmington, Delaware
Timothy_Jacob GOLD, Wilmington, Delaware

“Boy, I am really going to miss her.” I said to myself.
  It feels like only yesterday, that she rescued me from the endangerment of my last home and comforted me under her wing. She never once did not treat me like her own. She always made sure I was fed, groomed, and sadly, bathed. And although I always threw a fuss about those, the bright pink fluffy towel that she swaddles me up with right after is so worth it.
  I remember the day she took me to the park, and everyone scolded her for it.
“Ivy, you can’t be serious, she’s way too small and fragile to be at a park.”
But Ivy ignored them all.
  She would pick me up, and carry me around cuddled in her arms just pointing out every piece of scenery that she adored. It was so peaceful and relaxing. It was almost hard to believe that someone as great as her could want leftovers like myself. My last home wasn’t the best. They starved me for days, they taunted and abused me, left me out in the cold several nights and killed my only family. I had a twin brother, but unlike me, he wasn’t so lucky. We were left in the house one day by ourselves, and we were starving. There just so happened to be a left over plate from breakfast, so we went for it. Then “SLAM.” I heard the door shut, and I tried to warn my brother.
  “Come on, they’re back. Hurry up, we have to go.” Shouting with anxiety.
  “Not until I finish. They left it here, waste not, and want not.” He snapped back.
    I heard foot-steps getting closer to the kitchen and ran as fast as I can, then hid in the bathroom under the sink in the cabinet.
“HELP.” My brother cried out.
   I heard a big boom, and a whimper. I slowly crept put to see my brother on the floor with his ribs sticking out his chest, and breathing in his last breath. He looked at me and murmured,
“Get out before it’s too late.”
  Then shut his eyes. I cried so badly that night, I blamed myself, but I also knew he was right. I had to leave. The next day, I patiently waited for my tormentor to get the mail, since he always leaves the door cracked. Vroom, vroom. The mail truck is here, I mentally prepare myself for the unexpected knowing if I don’t leave. I’ll end up like my brother. The door opens and he steps left towards the mailbox. I spring past the door and go right. I just run, I don’t know where to, but anywhere has to be better than where I was.
   After running around for hours lost, and confused I had to seek out shelter, so I found the perfect porch to hide out under for the night. It was damp, dark, and I was starving, but I was out of that house. I spent that whole night crying, into the morning. It must have been a loud cry, because someone heard it. I saw a face peek under the porch and ask,
“Are you okay?” A soft voice said.
She looked at me, and waved me to come towards her. I don’t know what it was, but her presence just felt safe. I crawled over to her, and she picked me up.
“You’re coming home with me.” She said with no hesitation.
  That was the day Ivy saved my life. I was so scrawny, ribs showing, dusty looking hair, and smelly as ever. She ignored it all and helped me. She made me better again.
  Or so I thought. I had to go to the doctor’s office recently, because I got a very bad cold and wasn’t eating. They kept me over night, and it was scary, my first night without Ivy. Last week they called and said
“I’m sorry to inform you Ms. Amalie, but Lola is very sick and in much pain. She has 3 months tops, but things will only grow more complicated for her, I highly suggest you bring her in for a peaceful way to go, that way you can say your goodbyes.”
  She’s been crying ever since. The doctor is right and I will not be upset if she decides to let me go. I won’t be alone, I’ll have my brother. Plus she’s given me the best life a 2 year old cat could ever wish for.
Today’s the day, we’re on our way to the doctor’s and she looks at me and wimps out,
“I love you so much, don’t you ever forget that”.
I give her a little smirk, because I know. And I hope she knows I feel the same. We are now at the doctors’ and they have injected me with the serum. She holds my hand, and blows me a kiss. I close my eyes and say one last prayer.
“Now she lay me down to sleep, I pray the lord my soul to keep. Let her know she’s forever mine, and I’ll meet her again when it’s her time.”