I. The Teenager | Teen Ink

I. The Teenager

By Poet15 SILVER, Apopka, Florida
Poet15 SILVER, Apopka, Florida

Dear adults of 2016...
I don't know how to feel anymore.
And I don't if it's because of the big
fault we had in our relationship or if it was because of something else

Being sixteen in this generation is difficult enough without society judging you at every turn. But you know what's even worst, adding high school on top of that.
High school has been fun for me.
I've been though ups and downs, and had my fair share of tears. So then why do I feel like I'm suddenly changing so much?
It's times like these that I wish I was 12 again. Where everything made sense. Where there were no volcanic emotions or a jet stream of hormones. Where I wasn't questioning things. Where I was partially happy.
I love and loathe the number sixteen because it is as this time that I am at a crossroads.
What makes me so angry is all the confusing emotions added on to the stress of school, family, and relationships.
What is wrong with me?
If I had the answer I wouldn't be sitting here talking.
Everyone says that you cannot help how you feel because your heart wants what it wants.
And I'm so angry at it.
It's right to be angry at the word,
"father" because he abandoned me such a long time ago? It's right to be not wanting to pray because I feel my mom is hypocritical because she's an alcoholic?
It's right to have a boyfriend, but feel safer in someone else's arms?
What is right and what is wrong in the case?

I have adults saying
"The reason you feel this is because-" or "It's all part of being sixteen being a young adult wanting to-" with this incomplete thought based off of my perspective and it makes me mad.

I didn't ask for any of this. I didn't ask to feel helpless and I would not wish it upon everyone else.

So don't act like you know what it's like to be me or any teen cause you down. Society labels teens like a barcode is on food. Individuality is forgotten, and confusion and separation thrive.
So the next time you think you know something, be 16 or 17 in 2016 and see if it makes sense. Believe me it isn't. Walk a mile in my shoes. In my friends' shoes. Every teen. When you come back, give me feedback and say you're okay, when we all know deep down,  you say, "I became destroyed"
P.S. NB 16 year old

From my heart