Your friend | Teen Ink

Your friend

February 7, 2016
By Tizzy13 BRONZE, Grand Blanc, Michigan
Tizzy13 BRONZE, Grand Blanc, Michigan
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
Beauty begins the moment you choose to be yourself.


July 7 2016

Hey! It’s the first day of my trip and I’m currently sitting at a train station waiting for… wouldn’t you know it? A train. I’d like to apologize for leaving so unexpectedly, but I need to take some time. I’m sure you can understand where I’m coming from, but if you can’t, I can try to help you figure it out while I’m figuring things out too. I’m not sure when I’ll be coming back but I’m aiming for the end of August. Anyways, there’s an odd married couple sitting to the left of me that has been arguing for the last couple hours. I’m hoping this train will come soon so I can be rid of them. I have to go now but I’ll write again soon, ok?
  Salutations, your friend.


July 9 2016
What’s up? I just realized that you can’t actually respond to that so ignore these two sentences. I didn’t write to you yesterday because I was on a train all day and nothing of particular interest or anything out of the ordinary occurred, so I was left without news. As of right now, I’m sitting on a bench outside the train station in Tennessee. I’m watching a sunset and waiting for a bus or car or something so I can start exploring as I’ve never been to Tennessee and know nothing about the state. What do you think about traveling out of the U.S? (That’s a rhetorical question.) I think I see a VW bus coming so I have to go but I’ll write soon!
  Talk to you soon, your friend.


July 10 2016
I’m back! I don’t know if you’re getting these letters in order but if you are then that’s great. So if you’re worried about my hitchhiking that I did yesterday, don’t be. The people in the awesome car were pretty legit. I only figured out three of their names because most of them were stoned and incapable of forming coherent sentences. Ralph was driving and was not stoned thankfully, or at least I don’t think he was. Then there was Benny and Emma, they were both in a band called Electric Extract(I’m not totally sure where they got that from…) I’m writing this sitting at a booth in one of the local pubs, and dang they got some good onion rings. I think I found a good hostel to stay at, although hostel’s are kind of gross so good might not be the right word to describe it. Anyways, I’m going to go on a hike and then I’m heading to the train station again. I don’t want to spend too much time in one place if you know what I mean.
  See ya later alligator, your friend.


July 13 2016
Well, while I’ve been driving, sitting, waiting and being independent, I’ve started to discover that this whole trip might have been a mistake. If you haven’t figured it out yet, I’ve taken this trip as a mental health day… well more of a mental health month or so. I think I’ll be cutting my trip short. I was hoping I would get a movie moment and meet these amazing people and learn the lessons of life. So, I will be considering calling this whole thing quits. Right now I could really use a break; the only problem is I don’t know what I want to take a break from.
  Goodbye, your friend.


July 17 2016
I’m sorry for the whole mess my last letter was. I’ll try to do better but I can’t promise anything. I feel that to solve a problem, it has to get worse before it can get better right? Well, in the last couple of day’s I’ve traveled to a couple places. I went to Florida and stayed in a crappy motel in Bradenton which was pretty nice I guess, it was definitely warmer than I’m used to. Then I went to another town in Florida that I’m not totally sure what the name was but it was small and quaint with little stores on the side of the roads. Next I’ll be going to Texas. I read an article about a ranch up there that helps with people like me and my…condition. I’m actually on my way there right now; I’m in a car with a girl named Lily, she’s really passionate about music, you would love her.
  Definitely not calling off the trip, your friend.


July 19 2016
  I said my goodbyes to Lilly and I’m at the ranch. It’s been really beneficial so far, and it’s only been a couple of days so I can only imagine how great it will be after the week is done. They have advised me not to write to you while I’m here and seeing as I want and need to improve, I’m going to abide by their rules. This will be my last letter for the week so don’t be worried about me. I’ll fill you in on the events that are going to take place over the course of the week when I leave the ranch.
  Goodbye for now, your friend.


July 26 2016
Guess who’s back! This letter might be a little longer than usual because I’ve got a couple stories to tell you. First off let me tell you that the ranch was beautiful and I feel ten times better than I did when I talked to you last. Every morning we were allowed to take a horse out an ride them on the trails. I would get up early and ride one of the horses to my favorite spot to watch the sunrise. The food there was amazing too by the way. Some of the stuff they had us do didn’t make much sense at the time, but now looking back at it, I can kind of see how it was helpful. I won’t go into gory details about how my mind is being cleared of the groggy fog that was clouding my mind and scrambling my thoughts. The people there were so nice and really supportive, It felt great to be able to talk about what I’m going through with someone who understands. Not that talking to you wasn’t helpful. Oh and guess what! I’m officially going to Europe. If you can remember, I wanted to get away but I didn’t know what from, maybe I just need to get away from America. I sound crazy right? I’m thinking about doing France or Rome first, I’m not sure. Well I should get going if I’m going to get to the airport on time. Hopefully I’ll be able to get a ticket while I’m there.
  Bye bye, your friend.


July 27 2016
I spent the last night sleeping in a cheep chair at the airport waiting for a ticket to be available. Ok wait the lady’s calling me up, I’m going to go see what she want’s. Ok I’m back although now looking back you wouldn’t have known that I left considering this is a letter and not a phone call or real life. The lady just sold me a ticket so I’ve got to go to the gate and wait for the plane; I also might wait at starbucks and get a hot cocoa, who knows? Life's short right. I’m gonna go and wait for the plane so I’ll send another one when I’m in…drum roll please…. Paris!
  Au Revoir, your friend.


July 29 2016
Help! I’m suffering of serious jet lag. Who would’ve thought that it would be this bad. Paris is absolutely beautiful. Later today I’m going to go see the Eiffel Tower, typical tourist right? I’m also dying to go to a cafe and peer over my menu to find a striking stranger looking  at me. He’ll look away and sip his drink; after glancing at each other for a while he’ll come and sit across from me. We’ll talk and bond and then fall madly in love. I’m just kidding(or am I?) I’ll probably stop by at one on my way to the tower. I’ll take pictures to show you for when I return home.
  Byeeeeee, your friend.


July 31 2016
So I’ve decided that with a new mind and attitude I should invest in a makeover, and what better place to do that then in Paris! I look completely different and I feel completely different. I’m extremely happy right now which was the point of this whole trip, so I might be home a little earlier than expected. Oh and the Eiffel Tower was terrifying and amazing at the same time, it was bitter sweet I suppose. I just want you to know that I love you like a sibling but I don’t know if I need to write these letters anymore because I’m feeling refreshed and I’m feeling ok. Ok is good.
  Here’s to ok, your friend.


August 4 2016
Here’s to the new month! I love Paris and I’m going to have to come back some time in the future, but today I’m going to be going to England. Apparently it’s more rainy there but I mean it’s England so why not right? I’m kind of getting over my jet lag which is pretty great if I do say so myself. I was nervous that I wouldn’t remember anything from my french class considering I’m not taking it currently at college, but I was doing pretty good. I’m on my way to the airport again. Before you start to wonder how I’m affording this, don’t. I can’t tell you about how I’ve come to find myself with enough cash because it’s kind of a mystery. And a lot of things in my life right now are a mystery too so it kind of works.
  Too lazy to come up with a closing, your friend.


August 8 2016
These letters are getting further apart and I’m not sure whether that’s a good or bad thing. I just want you to know that I will be coming home next week so keep your calendar open. I’m leaving England today seeing as there really isn’t much to do. I’ve gone to the London eye and I was put in the little box thing with some cool people. There were a couple of guys there that were just coming back from a concert at a local park and were really fun to talk to. Then there was this lady who works with a famous fashion designer and hearing about that was super interesting. It was a great experience; I also visited the torture tower place and made a new friend on the tour. He was really into all of the medieval stuff and I never really had to come up with a topic for conversation. All in all, England was awesome, and I love their accents.
  See ya, your friend.


August 10 2016
I’m in Italy. Italy. If I have any more spaghetti, I might explode. The pizza here is to die for too, I don’t know if I’ll ever be able to eat Italian food at home again, it just won’t live up to the high standards that are being set. I think I’m going to go ride a bike; I found it on the side of the road and I may have “borrowed” it…
  See you soon, your friend

August 13 2016
I’m heading back home today, so I’ll be home before you get this letter. If you still choose to read then that’s great. These past weeks have been some of the best of my life and I don’t know if returning home is going to destroy my happiness or add to it. If I seem distant after I get home then I need you to get me out of there; I might need to take another trip but I would want you to come with me. But let’s hope for the best.
  To mental health, your friend.


August 16 2016
Well I’ve been home for a little while now and in regards to my last letter, I am doing fine. Life is good don’t you think? I just want to thank you for reading these(assuming you’ve been reading.)
  your friend.
 


The author's comments:

Embark on a journey with an unknown writer, writing to an unknown friend. A series of letters that leave you curious. 

                           Your friend.