Fourth Of July Spectacular | Teen Ink

Fourth Of July Spectacular

February 3, 2016
By Bigshark11 BRONZE, Marysville, Washington
Bigshark11 BRONZE, Marysville, Washington
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

It's summer 2009 and Kim for a perfect holiday everything is set perfectly until she picks out the firework and

Chapter 1: Fourth Of July Spectacular

The cold wind was as sharp as a knife everywhere I turned, I could only hear the sound of colorful fireworks screaming in the air, I saw trees turning green the hot air of the sun was swallowed by the mountains it was now dark. The blinking lights were above us were glittery like the ocean and there were sounds everywhere I turned. It was the total opposite of a library. The fireworks booming and causing a terrible noise which was also pleasant in some odd way.
“ Hello hello hello“ I said to my relatives as we walked outside, It's Fourth of July 2009, I was wearing my leggings and a hot pink shirt. Fourth of July was at my house every year so I walked next to the curb and saw my cousins lighting up sparklers, it was like a Harry Potter wand so I went over there next the hill and lit some with them “ Hey Nik can I light some of those up too?” I asked,it was very bright, but also fairly small but big stars were shooting out. I went up to my mom “ can I do a firework” I questioned because I was bored out my mind only staring up as if a rocket was coming.I walked over and she said yes so I look at everyone while they are doing their own thing and talking and I grab the coolest sounding firework in the box. It felt as if I was holding a trophy purple in color the deepest shade the hexagonal box’s corners were very dull and not sharp.  “Saturn's Rings”, I thought ”this will be the best and everyone will love mine”. “ Mom I PICK THIS ONE “ I screamed across the road.
I carried the somewhat large box it felt as if there was nothing but a party in it. I was 6 so I couldn’t light it on my own so I gave it to my mom and I was jumping up and down with excitement. I was looking at my mom bending over with the lighter my pupils were the size of golf balls. I was staring at everyone's faces wondering what there faces will be and i hear a loud SHRIEK! the night looked like black ink spilled across the sky and I look at my sister as she looks up at the box in horror “ what's wrong” asked her and she said “ look for yourself” the fireworks were shooting upside down. It was like a nuclear bomb site. I was speechless while my mom was yelling “kick it over it will hit someone”. she went to go kick it over but she couldn’t because it was still going on and one of them hit our neighbors yard it lit up like a zoomed in candle the fire was small like a little fireplace then it got engulfed. It was an uproar! children running I was screaming wondering if it would ever go out, wet streams were pouring down my face because I was so confused and scared. My mom and uncle ran inside to get buckets and my other uncle ran to get the hose. I was standing there like a statue I was frozen  my dreams turned into a nightmare. I thought. I was so sad I was wailing because some of the hot lava packed ash fell on my legs and feet it left a mark of gray pencil. I picked it up in my hand and it smeared like paint  my mom and uncles and dad ran across the street and water was spilling from the hose each drop splashing like a hurricane for the bugs.” WHY IS THIS HAPPENING?” I yelled  out. Nothing made sense and the flames were dying out because of the water.
The fire was out and everything was calm except for the piles of ash everywhere, it looked like Mount Saint Helens had exploded for the second time I was coughing and coughing I finally sat down on my chair in a blanket while everyone was putting more fireworks out I laid a blanket on my self each fluff softer than the other like a cloud on my cold cheeks.    “Im ok im ok” i kept telling myself. I thought about going inside but it did not because I was curious about what would happen next it was like a mystery that was not solved. The fire finally doused out and the smoke traveling each puff fluffier than the other we ended up eating dinner faster than lightning and I went in my room wondering if my life had just flashed before my dark chocolate eyes. “ That was the worst thing ever but it was so cool” I told my cousin
I remember that day as if it were yesterday I always thought that fourth of july would be a happy day, every year I say “ hey remember what happened there?” I bring that day up and we all start laughing we look over at our neighbor's yard and see the that the plant has regrown, the thick fluffy wheat looking leaves white in color with green twining around it. I look at the road and see that terrifying day it got better afterwards but it scared me to death.  Every year when ever anyone does a firework I step back just incase.


The author's comments:

My teacher said to pick a memory that is meaningful or important and I picked this one because it gave me a great lesson to remember.