In the Basement | Teen Ink

In the Basement

January 7, 2016
By SSL-TT GOLD, New York City, New York
SSL-TT GOLD, New York City, New York
17 articles 0 photos 0 comments

       "You're a MONSTER!" Upon hearing her voice, I dropped the knife. It fell with a loud clatter that echoed around the room. I shook my head desperately and reached for her. She jumped back.


        "Don't touch me," she hissed.


         "I was only doing it for you. I didn't mean for you to find out like this," I pleaded, trying to grab her. Blood was still dripping from my hands, and I tried to wipe them on the back of my jeans.


        "What happened if I didn't come home early today? Would I ever discover what you do in the basement?! You're a crazy madman who's obsessed with killing!" she screamed at me.


        On impulse, I slapped her hard across the face. We stared at each other for a few seconds.


        "I'm sor-" She shook her head as tears started to run down her face.


        "I’ve had enough! How many times have you told me that you’ll change?! This time, I’m really leaving!" she exclaimed. This started a fire within me, and I picked up the bloody knife.


         "What are you doing?" she asked, stepping back. I walked over the corpse of the man who talked to her yesterday. His eyes were still wide open and there was a trickle of blood on the side of his face. Leaning forward, I grabbed her arm.


         "NO!" she shouted. She shook her head furiously and kicked me in the knee. I only gripped her arm tighter.


        Wasn’t this the exact same position we were in a month ago? I remember she wanted to attend a party but it was already 7pm. That was far too late for her to go out. We ended up fighting but she gave in when I threw a remote control at her.


        "You don't want to do this!" she yelled, still kicking. Her eyes widened showing the whites of her pupils and her nose was crinkled in disgust. Who are you, her face read. She gulped and looked away. Why was she so scared? When have I ever hurt her? Yeah, she called me “over-protective” at times but I was just trying to keep her safe. That’s right, I knew what was best for her. Only I knew who she truly was. I smiled and leaned in close enough to get a whiff of her sweet perfume.


        "Oh, I know what I want."