Against Humanity | Teen Ink

Against Humanity

January 7, 2016
By lonelyperson GOLD, New York, New York
lonelyperson GOLD, New York, New York
11 articles 0 photos 0 comments

   Why am I hiding when there are humans out there? I made a fist and punched the wall of this dark cave. If I wasn't so weak back then... The scene of them slaughtering innocent dragons replayed in my mind. Swinging their mighty, steel swords, they slashed off our majestic heads and wings. I couldn't save any of them.

   Why am I not fighting back? I guess I'm still afraid of dying. Outside, a golden scaled dragon was battling two humans clad in medieval helmets and silver armor. When the creature shot a light beam from its mouth, one of them blocked it with a shield. The other snuck behind it and with a quick swing of the sword, the head separated from the body. Blood splattered all over the armor. "Another one down!" they celebrated.

   I clenched my fist harder and my eyes were watery from the loss. Only more of my species will die if I stay in here. I remembered the fallen one from a few moments ago, the pain on its scarred face, and the crimson blood. I looked at the jade scales that covered my body and the backs of my jagged shaped wings. No, I'm not going to let us become extinct. The ones who are still alive are fighting! I must avenge the dead! If I die, at least, I tried.

   The boiling anger inside needed to be unleashed. My feet slowly stomped its way out this hiding spot. I visciously flapped my wings and flew into the orange sun of the setting sky with several clouds covering it. Below me on the open battlefield were the filthy humans who enjoyed our pain and deaths. One of them with a black sword shouted, "When that dragon gets down, it'll be mine!"

   My landing caused the ground to tremble. I let out a threatening roar. The enemies covered their ears, but showed no signs of fear. "Think you're so tough?" the one from earlier responded. He attempted to slice my head off with his swift movement, but I dodged the second before it touched me. I counterattacked with my blazing fireballs, but their shields made my effort futile.

   When they switched to their offense, I got closer to them and snatched one of the foul beings. "Let go!" he cried as he pounded on my rough scaled hand. I felt nothing more than a few tickles. Then, I tightened my grip until he couldn't say another word and brought him up to my glaring, black eyes. My razor-edged claws ripped off the head. The other humans watched silently with horror stricken faces. I carelessly threw the headless corpse and buried it with my foot. I felt ablaze with rage. How does it feel, huh?

   "Why, you! Slay that beast, men!" their captain demanded. Those nearby who were fighting other dragons turned their attention to me. I'll kill all you humans.