MISSING DAD | Teen Ink

MISSING DAD

By geny232 BRONZE, Stockton, California
geny232 BRONZE, Stockton, California

It was a Saturday afternoon in Wildomar, California. A car stopped in front of a house, seven people got out of the car.  They were all very happy all of them were smiling and laughing.  There were 4 girls and 3 boys.  First the 3 girls went running out of the car and the 2 boys rushed to the house.  The oldest sister was named Jannett, the middle sister was named Melanie, and the youngest sister was Celeste.  They had two brothers:John and Sebastian.  They all loved their mom and dad. They all had a great time at the movies.
“Thank you for taking us to the movies. We all had a good time,” said Melanie to her parents.
“You’re welcome,” said Nancy and Carlos.
They all entered the house.
“Do you need any help, Dad,” asked Melanie.
“No, I’m alright. You can help me another time. Go finish your homework.”
It was Sunday, the whole family were getting ready to go to church.  They all had formal clothes. They all got in their van. While they were on their way to church, a phone rang. No one answered.  An hour passed and church was over. Carlos checked his phone. He had two missed calls. It was from his boss, Carlos called back. The whole family was looking at Carlos and saw he had a smile when he was talking to his boss.  The family knew Carlos had good news, they couldn’t wait to hear it. Carlos finally hung up and kept smiling. Every Sunday the family always goes out to eat. So Carlos waited to tell the news at the restaurant. Melanie was very excited for her dad and the rest of the family was too. Melanie was very close with Carlos so she was happy for him.
The family finally got to a restaurant. They all ordered their food and waited. Carlos did not know when to tell the news. He waited until the waiter left.
“Family, you had probably seen my face and that you can tell I am happy. I got good news,” said Carlos.
“Please tell us dad.” said John  excitedly.
“Yes, please tell us,” said Jannett.
“Alright. There is going to be big project at my work and my boss has asked me to be in charge of the project.”
“Congratulations, honey,” said Nancy.
“That  is awesome,” said Sebastian.
“We are all proud of you dad,” said Melanie.
“What do you mean dad? A big project.?” said Celeste, confused.
“That means dad is going to be working very hard because he has a lot of work to do.”
Melanie was proud of her dad but was a little disappointed because she won’t see her dad that much. She thought to herself, he is probably not going to hang out with me anymore like we used to do.
“What is wrong Melanie? Are you not happy about the news?” asked Carlos to Melanie.
“Oh no, I am proud of you dad, I … I just don’t feel good,” said Melanie.
“Oh you are probably hungry. You will get better soon,” said Nancy to Melanie.
“Maybe,” said Melanie, not sure of her answer.
Everyone was proud of their dad. They were cheering him and Carlos felt proud, although Carlos could tell that there was something wrong with Melanie. Melanie was sad, but felt happy for Carlos’ new job.
The food finally came. Everyone was very hungry. They all ordered their favorite meal. Later on, everyone was almost finished with their food, except Melanie. Carlos and Nancy noticed that Melanie was not feeling good.
“Are you going to eat your food Melanie?” asked Nancy.
“No, I am not that hungry anymore,” said Melanie.
“C’mon, Melanie, it is your favorite food. It is ravioli,” said Carlos to cheer Melanie up.
“Can we just go home please. I have a lot of homework,” said Melanie.
She was using the homework as an excuse.
“I know you have homework to do, also your brothers and sisters have to do it too. We have to spend more time with the family now because we will probably not see your father as much as we used to,” said Nancy.
Right when Melanie's mom said this, Melanie felt even more gloomy. Melanie was trying so hard to hide her emotions away from her parents.
“Oh, okay, I kind of understand, but can we leave soon please,” said Melanie.
“We will leave in about forty minutes,” said Carlos.
The forty minutes had passed. They all left the restaurant, and they were all full from what they ate. Melanie wasn’t that full because she didn’t eat much. They got in the car and went home. When they got home Melanie went straight to her room. She slammed the door because she was sad. She locked herself in her room and started crying. All of a sudden she heard a knock. She quickly wiped her tears and said “Who is it?”
“It is me, your dad. Are you ok? I saw you run to your room and you slammed the door,” said Carlos.
“Yes, I am alright,” said Melanie.
“Can I come in?” asked Carlos.
“Uhm… yeah sure. Just wait a second,” Melanie said, sniffing and wiping away her tears.
Melanie got off her bed and ran quickly to the door to unlock it. She let her dad in.
Carlos noticed that Melanie’s face was red and that she was crying.
“What is wrong Melanie? I noticed in the restaurant that you are not okay,” said Carlos.
“Well, the truth is I am sad that I won't be able to see you that much, and I won’t be hanging out with you anymore,” said Melanie.
“Oh, darling, you will see me. I’ll try to promise when I come from work and am done eating I will help you or hang out with you,” said Carlos.
“Are you sure dad?” asked Melanie.
“Well I will try to,” said Carlos.
“Okay,” said Melanie.
“Okay, then. Hurry up and finish your homework so you can go to sleep. Bye, see you tomorrow, goodnight,” said Carlos.
“Okay, dad, goodnight,” said Melanie.
It was Monday morning and the kids had to go to school. Melanie asked her mom “Where's dad?”
“He left to work early because he has to do a very important project. Hurry up, it is getting late to go to school.” said Nancy.
“Oh, okay,” said Melanie.
Everyone got in the van and Nancy drove them to school.
“Bye, kids, have a nice day today in school,” said Nancy.
“Okay, bye, mom,” they all said.
They all walked to their classrooms. About 7 hours passed and the bell rang. Melanie quickly ran to find her mom’s car. She found the van and hopped inside. Melanie couldn’t wait to get home. Nancy waited for Jannett, Celeste, John and Sebastian to get in the car.
“Hurry up, kids. I have to go make food,” said Nancy.
The kids hurried up and got in the car. Melanie was just waiting to see her dad. They got home. All of the children rushed to their rooms to go do their homework. Nancy went to go make food.
An hour and a half passed and the food was ready. Carlos was back from work and he was very tired. Nancy asked her husband, “How did it go on the first day of the project, honey.”
“It went well, but I’m a little bit tired,” Carlos responded.
“Oh, well, I hope you feel better, but right now we are all going to eat. Go get the kids to come and eat,” said Nancy.
Carlos went to their rooms, knocked on the their doors and told them to wash their hands and eat. When Carlos went to Melanie’s room he knocked on the door.
“Knock knock. Can I come in?” asked Carlos.
“Yeah, dad, you can come in,” said Melanie excitedly.
Right when Carlos opened the door Melanie jumped on him and gave him a bear hug.
“I missed you dad,” said Melanie.
“Me, too. What were you doing right now?” asked Carlos.
“I was looking at the animal cell you helped me make in seventh grade, about two years ago. Do you remember dad?” said Melanie.
All of a sudden Carlos had a little flashback. He remembered when they were working on the project. He liked how Melanie and him had fun working on the the project. They played around with pipe cleaners that were used in the project. Carlos really liked how he spent a lot of time with Melanie. That memory will forever be his favorite. Carlos is now sad because he won’t be able to spend that much time with his children anymore. All of a sudden Carlos heard “Dad, dad wake up!!”, it was Melanie.
“Oh, I’m sorry I was thinking of something.” said Carlos. He finally remembered why he came into Melanie’s room for.
“C’mon Melanie your mom is waiting for us to come and eat.”
“I’m coming”
Carlos went to the kitchen and saw that almost everyone was waiting at the table to eat.
“What took you and Melanie so long?” asked Nancy.
“She was showing me her science project we made two years ago.” responded Carlos.
The whole family were sitting down and ready to eat, they began to eat.
“This food is delicious, mom.” said Sebastian.
“Thank you Sebastian, I really appreciate that you liked the food.”
About thirty minutes passed and almost everyone was finished eating. When everyone was finished Melanie and Jannett went to wash the dishes, while Celeste went to go play with her toys. John and Sebastian went to go finish their homework.
“Well, honey, the food was delicious. I’m going to sleep, I came home tired from work,” said Carlos tiredly, “Goodnight honey.”
“Goodnight Carlos sleep well.” replied Nancy.
“Goodnight kids.” said Carlos
Melanie quickly washed her hands, ran to her dad and hugged him..
“Goodnight dad. Hope you have a goodnight sleep. I will see you tomorrow when you get back from work and I will miss you.”
“Oh, I will miss you too. When I come back I’ll promise to spend some time with you.”
“Okay, dad, goodnight.”
The next day Carlos left to work early, Nancy had already finished cooking breakfast for her children. They were all ready and ran to the kitchen to go eat breakfast. About thirty minutes had past and everyone got in the van. As usual Nancy dropped them off to school, she later goes to her work. When she was done with her work, it was time to pick up her children. Melanie was always the first one to get in the van. Five minutes later the rest of her brothers and sisters came. They all finally got home, they grabbed their backpacks and went inside the house. John turned on the TV, he really liked watching news, and heard there was a bad car accident in the the freeway.
In Wildomar, California there was a very bad car accident near the freeway.
“Hey look guys there was an accident here in Wildomar.” said John.
Everyone sat down and listened to the news.
People say the car was in a big turn, when all of a sudden the car fell out of the freeway. Police say it was a red Ford. They are still  trying to identify the person that was in the vehicle.
“That’s weird dad has a red Ford too.” said Jannett.
“Don’t worry kids it’s not your father. Your father is right now at work, I don’t think it’s him” said Nancy, a little worried.
We’ll keep you up with more news later, back to GVR News studios.
Melanie started to worry if it was her dad. She would feel very sad since Carlos and her spend a lot of time together.
“It’s okay, your dad will come back from work in a couple of minutes.” said Nancy.
About an hour later Carlos was not home yet.
“When is dad coming?” asked Celeste.
“In a few minutes, don’t worry. I guess we will just eat without him this time.” said Nancy.
When everyone was done eating, there was still no call or anything from Carlos.
“I’m worried about dad, mom.” said Sebastian.
“It’s alright he’ll come in about 10 minutes.” responded Nancy.
Those minutes started to become hours. It was starting to get late. John was still watching the news to hear more about the accident.
We are back with more details about the car accident. The police have finally identified the person in the vehicle. His name is…
“Mom they figured out who the person was. Quick hurry!” said John.
They were about to say what was the name of the person, when all of a sudden they heard a doorbell ring. Ding-dong. Nancy opened the door, there was two policemen standing in front of the door.
“Are you Carlos Aria’s wife?” asked one of the policemen.
“Yes, why?” Nancy said concerned.
“I’m sorry to say this, but your husband was in a bad car accident