Banshee | Teen Ink

Banshee

By aritrichatterjee SILVER, Kolkata, Other
aritrichatterjee SILVER, Kolkata, Other

Life’s but a walking shadow, a poor player
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

All she could remember is, that night was the coldest night earth have ever seen; even the room-heater was failing to provide much warmth no matter to what extent it tried to burn itself. Mingling in the shadow of darkness the pale moon light entered from the upper window. She realized how a light free from brightness can form the darkest darkness. She trying to capture the scenario of her bedroom just when light and darkness were playing cruel childhood sport. Oh! How she hated that game. She was always the one who was left to find others;that feeling was hideous. When you know several invisible eyes are watching you; and you are the only creature alive.
Her room was on the upper  floor  beside her brother’s. Mother and father used to sleep down stairs at his grandma’s room. She was a newborn and her brother haven’t been born yet when her grandmother died. Only in pictures she has seen her; inheriting an affectionate smile grabbing their white pet rabbit in her lap.
2:30 p.m that night she rose up from bed leaving the woolen blanket on the floor and went to get water. It was the first time she heard that weeping. An obnoxious, excruciating but melancholic mourning it was. She thought it was her little cat but found it sleeping on the doormat. With a juggled feeling of curiosity as well as fear she searched the entire floor;the mourning stayed for sometimes and then it stopped. Nature drowned into dead silence.
Next morning waking up she heard a chaos suggesting something serious ,something bad has occurred in their house. She walked to corridor following the sound coming from brother’s room. She saw mother  was weeping near her brother’s bed. She walked silently towards him.....brother was lying, eyes closed,facing the celling of the wall. It seemed to her a very unusual way of sleeping but father told her-“Don’t disturb him dear...let him sleep peacefully”.
We all need this eternal sleep; it is a relief,a rescue from the sin committed by self. How many times we have wished for a chance to rebuild or reconstruct something that has already taken place but what is left is just a memory either good or bad. Our life bestows upon us a rainfall of incidents some makes us, some breaks us and some of them leaves us in the perplexity of reality. That broke her parents but not her.
She was happy. She was happy claiming all their toys only her. She was happy;unlawfully,contempt though but happy as her rite remained undivided.....

please let me know your views about this article.