Going And Coming This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

SLOW DOWN! SLOW DOWN! But the cries were too late. The car skidded off the road and crashed into a large tree. I flew forward and hit the windshield. Everything went black.

I awoke in a lethargic state, surrounded by what felt like water. I was swimming suspended in air. There was an odd smell, I knew it well, but could not identify it. It had the smell of old rusty metal, and a kind of sweetness.

I couldn't see anything when I opened my eyes, only blackness. Frightened, I tried to scream, but when I opened my mouth no sound came out. Scared, I began to struggle. My foot moved and hit something soft and gooey. I struggled more and hit it again, only this time someone or something touched me back. The touch was odd, distant feeling. Did they even touch me? Questions swarmed: where was I? Was I in a hospital? Was I in a coma? Was I dead?

During what seemed like months, I began to forget simple things. I couldn't remember how I got here. I just laid there in the suspended, swimming state. Waiting, just waiting.

Then it happened. Everything that surrounded me shattered. I was falling. I moved, flailing my arms and legs, but it made me fall faster. What was happening? Was I dying? There was a vice squeezing on my head. Then I saw it, the sacred light and the fuzzy figures. I wanted to yell, but I knew no sound would come. I got closer and grew more frightened. It wasn't supposed to be scary; it should be peaceful. What was happening?

Everything moved faster, the squeezing moved from my head to my shoulders. The figures were closer and reaching out for me. I traveled through a small tunnel and hands grasped my head and feet. I was here!

I heard muffled voices and quick shuffling of feet. I was slapped on the back, and when I opened my mouth, I screamed. Things were stuck in my ears, eyes and mouth. When I opened my eyes, I saw a doctor standing over me. I was overcome with relief, I was alive. Then the doctor said something that struck fear into me.

"IT'S A BOY."

There was nothing left to do but scream. 1

yanaz said...
Woah this is so good! I loved it!