If I Won the Lottery... | Teen Ink

If I Won the Lottery...

October 29, 2015
By benkearney BRONZE, Franklin Lakes, New Jersey
benkearney BRONZE, Franklin Lakes, New Jersey
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

When buying that lucky lottery ticket, we all think, “What am I going to do with the money if I win?”  Well, if I won the 500 million dollar Powerball jackpot my first initial thought would be, where do I start spending the money or even saving it!  After thinking it through, the first thing I would do is to save about five hundred thousand dollars for my college education and my two other siblings. Even if I am set financially for life, I believe everyone should have a college education whether it is community college or Harvard University.  This education will serve as a backup in case something goes wrong.  With more than 499 million dollars left over, I would want to start my own donation foundation.  I think with my own foundation I would help kids from Syria who are in need of food and shelter.  I believe every child in this world deserves a chance, and having a safe place that they can call home is where it starts.  I also would like to donate so that schools can be built in areas that are struggling to provide education.  I think that helping these kids start their lives will not only make them be grateful and happy, but it will also make me feel good too.


After building my own foundation and preparing financially for college, I would want to focus the money on my friends and family.  First off, I would give my parents a load of money so they could retire.  I would give them enough money to go on vacations and buy a nice house in Bellagio, Italy.  My parents always tell us that as soon as the kids get out of the house, they want to travel the world and live in Italy.  By doing this, my parents don’t have to stress about anything and can live the rest of their lives in peace.  For my brother and sister, I would also give them approximately ten million dollars each so they would have more than enough to buy a house, go on a nice vacation, and participate in any other activities they would like to experience.  After that, I will give money to my teachers who have helped me develop as a person, student, and in some ways, a teacher.  I’m grateful for everyone in my life and I always want to try my best to give back.  I would also give some money to my friends because they are also vey important in my life.  With the friends I have, they provide confidence and enjoyment in my life.  They also provide everlasting experiences that we can always talk about in our lifetime.  Friends, family, and teachers mean a lot to me so giving them financial aid to go on a nice vacation or have extra support financially or just about anything would make me feel happy.


After I helped out everyone that has been important to me, I would finally want to use the money on myself.  The first thing I would like to do would be to set up a trading account with at least five million dollars in it.  I would do this because I’m really interested in finance and with all the extra money given to me, why not work on something I like and make money while doing it?  I would also get a bunch of things that I want like Giants tickets, an iPad, a new laptop, a TV, and basically anything else I could find that’s entertaining or cool.  For the next eight years, I will most likely be paying for vacations and the majority of house expenses.  But with that much money, it really won’t disappear with these small expenses in comparison to five hundred million dollars.  After thinking of not only everything I can get, but everybody I can help, I believe that five hundred million dollars will definitely be a stress reliever and can help a lot of people live happier lives.


The author's comments:

It was an english assignment that I decided to submit to here.