A Child's Book | Teen Ink

A Child's Book

October 1, 2015
By Kumori BRONZE, New Britain, Connecticut
Kumori BRONZE, New Britain, Connecticut
3 articles 0 photos 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I don't think I can I know I can."


         
       Many years ago, there was a boy who didn't’ like to read. He would always pretend to read a book simply by skipping by pages. He had always done this with not only books but with picture books as well just to see the pictures. That started to change when the boy actually started reading the book and became inspired to make his own stories. It all started in the middle of the school year when the teacher stated that there will be a Classroom Library event. The boy didn’t know what that was until the teacher brought a crate filled with books. The boy started complaining in his little mind that he didn’t want to get a book but the teacher insisted he should because it will help him be more interested into books. The boy decided to try to get one that caught his eye. After searching and searching he stumbled on a book that caught his eye. The book was entitled, “Stormbreaker” a book that had an interesting cover that he wanted. He took the book and turned to the back of the book and try reading synopsis. After reading the synopsis, he had a feeling of interest that gave him the desire to read the book. For the first time in his life, the boy started to enjoy the book instead of just skipping through pages like a picture book. After one month of reading, the book took away all his criticism about books and gave a whole new perception on books that would change his life forever. The boy was interested in the book because of the atmosphere, suspense, the characters, and the story as a whole. But most of all the one thing that kept him interested in the book the most was the main character, Alex Rider, who was once a normal British high school student  later became a spy for an organization called MI6 from the permission of its leader, Mr. Blunt. Throughout the story, the boy not only loved the main character but also Alex’s large character development in the story. He felt excited and curious to each chapter he read to know what would happen next. Then one day the boy said to himself, “I want to become a spy just like Alex Rider.” The boy was influenced in Alex’s backstory from when his uncle was killed in an unknown car accident. This inspired him to make his own stories and characters that would make readers understand how the he felt through the characters themselves. He wanted to write stories so people could understand the message and understand how he felt. One year had past as the boy started to use his first talents in his first year of Middle School. Later in that year, the boy discovered he was very talented in drawing. Since he had an imagination of his story ideas and character designs, he plan to draw it all out in a sketch and doodle. When he drew them out he felt it was important so that other people can see what he might make in his future career kinda like a “teaser image.” The moments he had with Stormbreaker got into his mind when people had said, “What’s your favorite book?” or “What was the first book you read?” or others things that relate to books. Even though the story has faded away little by little he would still read the same old book and regain the whole story only to get inspired more to make stories of his own. The book opened his mind to a different world that will later become his in the near future. From the beginning of elementary, the boy first wanted to become a mechanic just like his father but when the book in that crate opened his mind, he instead wanted to become an artist, writer, spy/agent and/or film producer. The child’s book gave me a lot more opportunities than he might’ve realized. Because of the book he was able to grasp opportunities he couldn't have reached before. Even today, the boy would get inspired and interested if he actually thought about the book. The more he thought about the book, the more he wanted to read it and grasp that creativity he had back in his Elementary school and Middle school. Each time he would go to his town library, the mind of Stormbreaker would go directly to his mind because that was the very first book in his life that changed his mind about reading books. The book had become a treasure that changed his whole life as it sits on the his bookshelf waiting to be taken off the dust and read once more.


The author's comments:

I want people to have a different perception on books. I want something not something dull to read but something to enjoy.