"A Cat-astrphically Ruff Friendship" | Teen Ink

"A Cat-astrphically Ruff Friendship"

By Musical_Mischief_Mayhem BRONZE, Parsippany, New Jersey
Musical_Mischief_Mayhem BRONZE, Parsippany, New Jersey
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

In the city of Paris, spring was just around the corner. Flowers were seen everywhere. Cars honked like geese as they drove on snow-free roads. All of the animals of the city were finally awake after an extremely long hibernation. One was a dog named Fidèle, who had golden eyes and nice white fur. Fidèle’s newest friend, a cat named Capricieux, had green eyes and black fur.

Fidèle and Capricieux were seemingly bonded, nothing could tear them apart.  Indeed, they did have their disagreements, but they worked through them. Their friendship was a puzzle, and piece-by-piece it was finally coming together. However, even the most elaborate puzzles eventually break apart.

One day in the middle of May, after a long day of chatting together, Fidèle and Capricieux went for a walk. While strolling around the bright, vibrant city, a net swung down from above, capturing Capricieux, “Help me!” Capricieux yelped. Yet, there was nothing that Fidèle could do. The human was too tall, too strong, and too big. Attempting to rip the net, Fidèle bit and pulled, but to no avail. The man began to stride away, smirking at Fidèle.

Then the man spoke, “If you are a good friend, you would have tried harder.” Once again, Fidèle lunged at the net a few feet in the air. The man whipped the net towards Fidèle in a quick, swift motion, attempting to catch her too.

Fidèle knew that the net was not big enough for the both of them, so… Crash! Fidèle and Capricieux ‘s head collided with a sickening crunch. After Fidèle could finally open her eyes again, the man was gone, and so was Capricieux. Whimpering, Fidèle wondered if she would ever see her friend again. One stormy day, a few months later, Fidèle was dozing in the corner of an alleyway when she woke up to find a familiar face above her. Fidèle jumped to her feet and began to bark! “Capricieux, you came back home!” cried Fidèle.

“Yes, I came back, but this place will never be my home again,” Capricieux hissed while running down the sidewalk, away from Fidèle. Magnanimously, Fidèle waited for Capricieux to return.

Fidèle waited a few minutes. Capricieux did not come back.
Fidèle waited a few days, still hoping.
Fidèle waited a few months, still believing.

Fidèle waited a few years, for she thought that the bond that came with friendship could never be broken. She tried talking to Capricieux on their less-than-frequent meetings. Eventually, Fidèle knew that she could not wait any longer. Fidèle needed to move on, without Capricieux, and live her own life.

Moral: Some friends are worth waiting for, others are not.

This is a true story about something that happened to me. A good friend left and came back changed, and this fable reflects what I learned from the experience. She and I are not friends anymore, she caused me too much pain. If you felt something like this, I am sorry for you, but there are definitely better people that deserve to be your friend!