The Hound | Teen Ink

The Hound

June 17, 2015
By NoahBonning BRONZE, Essex, Vermont
NoahBonning BRONZE, Essex, Vermont
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The biting wind ripped across the vapid gray rocks that spanned out as far as the eye could see. The interminable stream of clouds blocked out the sun from view.
A young girl pranced along in a red dress and thin red coat zipped all the way to her chin. She lightly skipped over the cracks and crevices of the rocks. Her blond hair perfectly matched that of the hound scampering abreast to her, and together they stood out like a flame in the darkness. The two of them were never found apart. They played, ate, and slept with the other close by their side.
She slowed as she noticed a large hole in the ground. She went to investigate. The crater was a few feet across and she could see that the ground far below was just more rocks that had fallen from the surface. The hound cautiously sniffed the vacant space. Laughing at the hound’s nervousness. She took a step back, ran, and attempted to leap over the void.
Her foot fell on a loose rock and she tumbled away from her dull gray life.
She hit the rocks with a loud crack. She got up slowly, wincing as she tried to move her broken arm. She observed that she was in some sort of subterranean cave.
She looked at the hole six feet above her. She could see the dark clouds far out of her reach. She always wondered why she could never quite get catch them. She looked down to see a pair of gleaming eyes in the darkness staring back at her.
As the creature stepped into the light she saw that it had the features of a hound but it was ten times larger than the largest bear. Rows of white teeth shined as they appeared from behind the hounds lips. Most of its golden fur had fallen out to unveil dark patches of its tough hide that were colored with a coating of crimson. 
She looked back up towards the sky, but she made no move towards it. She looked back at the hound and gasped in astonishment as it opened its massive jaws and enveloped her in darkness.
As the last of her consciousness extinguished, she marveled at the cruel irony of the fact that by stepping on one wrong stone toppled everything in the wrong direction. And she thought about how easy it would have been to stop all of this. The hound had finally caught her.