Layla | Teen Ink

Layla

By Bri_Rivera BRONZE, Merritt Island, Florida
Bri_Rivera BRONZE, Merritt Island, Florida

“We accept the love we think we deserve.”
― Stephen Chbosky, The Perks of Being a Wallflower

It was ten o’clock on Friday night when Ezra finally got off work. It had been what to him seemed to be the longest week of his life. First his best friend in the entire world got into a really bad car accident and is in a medically induced coma. This his parents decided they were going to “cut him off” which means he has to go and find a second job.  To top it all off his girlfriend was acting stranger than usual.
Layla was the love of Ezra’s life. They were complete opposites of each other and that's why they were perfect as a couple. They completed each other. Ezra is a happy, social butterfly, whereas Layla ,whose name literally means “dark beauty”, is very dark and antisocial. They met their senior year in the chorus class. Their teacher paired them up for a duet project. They were both incredible singers and their voices blended together so perfectly. They spent two weeks together to work on the project and during that time they both fell head over heals for each other. They have been inseparable ever since. Their two year anniversary is coming up. In fact he was going to propose on their two year anniversary. It was going to be a huge surprise. He was going to act like he forgot about the dinner and while she waited on him he would sneak to her apartment with hundreds of roses and decorate it. Then she would come home thinking that it was the worst day of her life only to find that it would have turned to the most amazing first day to the rest of their lives together.
Ezra had just gotten out of the shower when he noticed that he had several  text messages from Layla. This alarmed him because she keeps herself on a strict schedule where she is in bed asleep by nine thirty. Ezra looked at the clock on his nightstand and saw that it was eleven forty-five. As he read the messages he froze. The world seemed to stop turning and time ceased to exist. This is what he read:
My dearest Ezra,
I just want you to
know that you have
been such a bright
light in my life.These
past two years have
been the highlight
of my entire existence.
I know you have been
wondering why ive
been acting so strange
lately. I've been distancing
myself from you and you
have no idea why. Yet, the
week before we created
the most amazing memories.

I know this must not make
any sense to you and for
that i am truly sorry.
You are the only good
in my life. I cant burden you
to be my only source of
happiness. I see no other
option or way out. You know
as well as i do that i have
tried to be happy. I have come
to the conclusion that happiness
is not for everyone. I know you will
not support this decision. But i
want you to know that i love you with
all my heart. I can only hope that
you can one day forgive me. Im sorry
for the pain that this is going to cause
you. Goodbye Ezra.

Ezra could not believe what he just read. He stood there for what felt like hours but in reality it was only a few minutes. He snapped out of it grabbed his keys and ran out the door. Layla lived on the exact opposite part of town. Ezra ran every red light and stop sign in his way. It still took him thirty whole minutes to get to her apartment. They were planning to move in with each other.  As soon as his car was in park he jumped out leaving the car running. He ran up the four flights of stairs and grabbed the key from under the mat and let himself inside. He went through every room in her apartment and came to her bedroom last. He hesitated only slightly before opening the door. What he saw will forever be etched in his memory.
“No, no, a thousand times no,” he said, his hands on each side of his head. Ezra could not believe he didn’t got to her in time. Layla was beauty but not the kind of beauty you’re thinking of. She was the sad, dark kind of beauty. Her scars pale like the moon her tears like the morning dew so delicate. She was the only thing Ezra ever loved and now she’s gone. He stands over her and she looks so peaceful. Almost like she is finally able to rest. The red that pooled around her popped next to her pale skin. Her lips a light shade of blue. He called the police and left the room. He could no longer look at her anymore for he knew she would not want him to grieve. She would want him to go on with his life. She would want him to cherish the time they had together. She would want him to know that she is finally in a peaceful resting place.

I wrote this piece for a class assignment.