At the Park | Teen Ink

At the Park

By Amber R. SILVER, Fayetteville, Georgia
Amber R. SILVER, Fayetteville, Georgia

Lara had never been to a park before. Kept inside for most of her life, Lara’s time was mostly directed towards her martial arts training. She stared at the playground’s jungle gym, observing a five year old girl who hung upside down on one of the dark green bars. The sudden, pounding echo of a basketball stirred Lara from her thoughts. Her eyes traced a dark-haired boy’s muscular physique as he played on a nearby court. A dull thud and a wail sounded from the jungle gym. Lara watched as the boy placed his basketball down on the park bench and rushed to the little girl’s side.
    “Chloe, you have to be more careful! What will Mom say when she sees your knees?” He reassured the crying girl with a hug.
    That must be his little sister! Lara thought, observing the two from a distance.
    “The scrapes aren't too bad. I’ll still have to carry you back to the apartment” Sighed the boy. His sister wiped the tears from her green eyes and held her arms up to the tall boy. Smiling softly, he reached down and lifted the girl onto his shoulders.
    Walking back to the bench, he collected his backpack, water bottle, and basketball. Lara smiled as she witnessed the love and kindness some people held for their younger siblings.
If only her brother loved her in the way that a complete stranger loved his own little sister.

Written when I was bored.