Hiding the Obvious | Teen Ink

Hiding the Obvious

By Nanas SILVER, Council Bluffs, Iowa
Nanas SILVER, Council Bluffs, Iowa

~The only thing greater than knowledge is imagination~

She couldn’t take the pain anymore. She had to leave, but how was she to get out? Every move she made, he was right behind her, staring with his piercing ice blue eyes. She tried to hide the black and blue rings around arms and legs with layers of clothing; but it was impossible to hide the obvious. How did she ever end up this way? Whatever made her fall for this monster? The faint memories of when she thought she was in love fled into her mind. A wealthy and attractive man swept her off her feet. He gave her comfort, love, jewels, and anything a girl could possibly dream of. She was in the arms of the man of her dreams. James, such a perfect name to go with her perfect man; or at least that’s what she used to think. That’s the man she fell for; not the man he is now. The aroma of alcohol now filled the halls of her home. He is nothing more than a vile, abusive drunk.

She had rolls of cash stashed away in the floorboards, and a suitcase with clothing hidden in the back of her closet. This is it, I’m finally getting out. The car was right out front and her husband was nowhere in sight. She snatched her husband’s revolver and loaded it with bullets. She was all ready to make her great escape. As she dashed for the door, she heard her drunken husband calling for her outside. “Lavinia, get down here now!” he yelled.

If he found any evidence that showed she was leaving him, she would have no chance of surviving.  She rushed  back up to her bedroom, shoved the suitcase back in the closet, and the money back under the floorboard. His voice grew louder and more fierce. She stood up and turned around. Her husband stood right in the doorway.
“Lavinia, what do you think you’re doing?” he shouted, “When I call for you, you know d--- well you better answer!” She stood completely still, for she was terrified of what was going to happen. She held his gaze as she inhaled and took a silent, slow breath.
“I was just looking for my earring. It dropped on the floor and I was just trying to find it.” she managed to push out the quickest thing that came to her mind. Her heart throbbed, and her lungs felt like they could collapse at any second. His ice blue eyes went from a drunken haze to a cold fury, causing her to back up.
“I can’t believe this! How the h--- could you worry about a stupid trash when I am out of beer? You know d--- well that when I am running low, you go fetch me more, woman!” He cupped her chin, and pulled her just inches from his face,  “And you call yourself a suitable wife. Bah, Your father should’ve given me that pretty little sister of yours instead of giving me your sorry a--!” She cringed at the smell of thick vodka rolling off of his breath, “ James finally let go of his grip on her chin and threw her back a few inches.  Lavinia stumbled more as he drew his hand back. Whack! Her head swung to the right. James stared at the red handprint he left on her face. Lavinia stood her ground, holding back her fears. “You’re a sad excuse for a wife and a woman.” He spat. His heavy breathing caused him to stagger. She didn’t want to infuriate him anymore than what she already had. 
“I’m sorry. I’ll try, I promise.” She whimpered, “What did you want to... to tell me?” she managed to say as she held her throbbing face. Tears blinded her vision even more. His face became pink as the fury built up. Whack! Lyra’s body was forced on the bed. James climbed on her to strike again. She screamed in pain and agony.
“What the h--- were you doing when I called for you?” he yelled in her face. She couldn't answer. “Answer me girl!” He had her arms pinned at her side with his knees, and he was starting to put his hands at her throat. She struggled, and moved every bone in her body to try and break free. Her hand finally slid from beneath his bony knee. She panicked, and did they only thing she could do in defense. Her hand tightened in a fist and she hit him with all her might in his groin. He groaned in pain, yet he didn’t let go of her. His grip loosened enough for her to manage to squirm out of his grip. She flipped on her stomach to grab the first thing in her sight, the lamp that was sitting on an the end table. She took the lamp and bashed it over his head. Crash! His body collapsed to the floor. I did it! I’m free. Lavinia grabbed her belongings and sprinted for the door. Stumbling over trash in the yard, she finally made it to the blue Chevy Nova.  She couldn’t get the key into the ignition fast enough. Rocks flew out from under the tires as she spun out of the driveway. Driving down the road, she wondered where she would go. Should I go to the police, or should I just leave the state and never return? She really didn’t care as long as she was free.