Beach Beauty | Teen Ink

Beach Beauty

By JennaLane BRONZE, Granbury, Texas
JennaLane BRONZE, Granbury, Texas

I live in a town where the most exciting thing to see in summer is a beach, The Cove. To tourists it is amazing, but to me it’s the same bleak view I’ve seen my whole life. However, when the moon comes out that is when the fun begins for us teenagers. We all just hang out and gossip about the latest scandal that happened at Harbor High the week before. During the group discussions I hover around the edge of bodies and hope I’m not called to speak next.
My mom has been an alcoholic for most of my life because my dad walked out when I was four. She either becomes a zombie that can’t do anything or a boxer who wants to hit anything.  I go to parties to get out of the house and away from my mother even though I find them boring and pointless. I never drink at the parties because I’m scared I will end up exactly like the monster in my house, so whenever I am given alcohol I go to the edge of the beach where no one stands and I pour my drink into the ocean.  
Tonight is the first beach party of the summer and my first chance to get away from the nightmare. I get ready for the party by straightening my hair and putting on a little make-up. I change into a black tank top with a white cardigan, since it’s still cold at night, and put on some dark skinny jeans. I grab my favorite pair of flip flops and start walking down the gravel path that extends from the black wooden entry door of my house to the end of my driveway. I depart from the one story, red brick house and admire the flowers that are blooming in shades of pink, blue, and red and the weeds that have sprung in burgundy, violet, and ginger. I find it ironic that the ones that are nuisances to others are the ones I find most charming. As I ponder, I feel a shift in the air. The breeze is light and dances along my skin, though it’s usually thick and choking. I can sense the air taunting me as though I might actually want to stay longer at The Cove than usual, and for once I think I might. The moon shines brighter and appears bigger, trapping me on the beach with waves that pound against the shore, causing me to become deaf to all other noise. The salt burns my eyes and nose yet I continue to breathe it in like a child with a handful of freshly picked flowers from her mother’s garden in hopes that my senses will get used to the sting.
As I climb over the sandy hill that blocks my line of vision from everyone else I am surprised by what I see. There are more people here than normal and they all look more wild than usual. The boys guzzle down drinks as though its water and the girls use their stomachs as cups for others to slurp out of. The fire in the middle burns with an intensity that I’ve never seen before. It crackles against the wood and holds my gaze for a few minutes until I’m drawn away by the shrieks of girls splashing in the water that must be freezing according to the stream of cuss words and squeals that follow each spray. I shake my brown curls against my cheeks, take off my comfortable shoes, and drag my feet through leftover sandcastles, hoping that by the time I arrive the party will be over.
Just as I step over a couple making out on a towel and nearly run into a boy that must be a freshman from the sparkle in his eye, I am met with the squeals of my two best friends, Nicky and Haylee. They rush over to me and squeeze my torso with surprising strength for two girls that consider a meal two crackers and a cube of cheese.
“OH MY GOSH! JANE, I’M SO HAPPY YOU’RE HERE!” Screeches Nicky.
I smile as though I am happy to be there and we link our arms together to walk over to a guy that is so buff he looks ridiculous being with a bunch of high school students.
“Yeah, me too,” I say. “So, who’s that guy over there?” I say pointing to the big man child.
“That’s Jake. He graduated like four years ago and now he supplies the drinks. I think it’s really creepy that he still hangs around though,” says Haylee with a disgusted face.
As we are talking Jake walks over to us holding a cup that I can only assume to be filled with alcohol. “Hey, ladies. You looking for something good? Because I’m right here,” Jake says as he points to himself.
“In your dreams. We’re just looking for drinks,” I say.
“Well, Beautiful. The drinks are over there,” he says pointing to a line of people, “but if you change your mind about wanting something good I’ll be waiting.” 
“Thanks but no thanks,” I say and turn to Haylee and Nicky. “You guys go get a drink and I’m going to take a seat.”
“Ok, but you have to dance with us later,” says Haylee.
“I will,” I promise.
As they’re walking to stand in the line for a drink I go over to one of the logs that are laid out in front of the fire. I take a seat and wrap my thin cardigan around my body to help block the wind from slapping my skin.
After awhile of sitting alone, I leave my friends where they are and start walking down the length of the beach to go home. As I’m walking I hear a deep voice in the distance calling out a name. I walk towards the sound to find a guy standing barefoot and shirtless in the sand with the bottom of his jeans soaked from the water splashing on the beach. His dark hair is long and wet, laying flat against his forehead and his tan torso is defined with obvious years of heavy lifting. He notices my presence and as I start to turn around he calls out to me.
“Hey. Wait,” he says while raising his arms in the air to catch my attention. “I was wondering if you’ve seen a black dog around. His name is Russell. He’s pretty big. You can’t miss him.”
I hesitate to answer because of his sudden appearance but finally say, “No, sorry. “
  “He’s a lab. If you do see him could you give me a call?”
He takes out a pen and an old receipt and writes down his phone number. When I take the paper I realize the area code is different from mine by a lot. 
  “Where are you from?” I wonder out loud.
“Oh, sorry. Where have my manners gone? My name is Ryan Scott. I just moved here with my mom from Texas. What’s yours?” He grins widely while extending his hand in a greeting.
“Oh. My name is Jane Lewis,” I respond breathless from the beautiful, white, glistening smile given to me. I take his large hand in mine and our hands linger a little too long. I release his hand and tell him it’s time for me to go home.
“Okay. Well, I’ll see you around,” he says.
“Yeah. Maybe,” I sorrowfully say because I know that I will never get the chance to see the gorgeous teenager that once stood before me ever again.
I continue walking on my usual path to my house and when I arrive the monster is passed out in her bed sleeping as though her only child didn’t just come home at midnight from a party.
The next day I go to the beach, hoping to find Ryan. I sit in the sun and wait for him to appear but he doesn’t come. I finally accept the fact that he isn’t coming and I start to pack up my things. Just as I’m walking up the little sandy hill of the beach I hear my name being called.
“Jane! Jane! Wait up!”
I turn around in confusion to see Ryan jogging effortlessly from the edge of the beach towards me. I pause to wonder why he is here and then realize a beautiful boy is in front of me, so I should probably not question it.
“Hey, Ryan,” I say. “What are you doing here?”
  “Well I was going for my morning jog and saw you lying on the beach. I’ve been thinking about you ever since last night and decided seeing you was a sign that I should ask you out tonight, so John’s at eight and don’t be late,” he said while winking and simultaneously walking back in the sand.
I didn’t know how to respond and he had already walked too far to hear me so I decided I had no other choice than to go. That night I went on the date and ended up spilling my drink and meal on not only myself but Ryan too. He was nice enough to brush it off, saying that although it wasn’t how he saw the night going, it was definitely memorable. When I got home I was thankful the Monster was passed out in her room so I didn’t have to explain where I was all night.      
Over the next few weeks Ryan and I start dating. We hang out almost twenty-four seven, which is fine with my mom since she never realizes I’m gone anyways. We go to The Cove when there are parties every week and I actually enjoy myself. We talk and talk until I think we’ve covered every subject known to man. Somewhere along the way I begin to fall in love with Ryan, especially since we rarely fight or disagree. We always have a solution to any problem and it always works. That was until the day I came across something interesting on the internet.
I’m online doing some research for a project about murders for my forensics class when I click on a website that has a picture of someone that looks familiar. The website says the man’s name is Simon Porter, or the “Simon Says Killer” according to newspapers, and he has allegedly killed three women but that their bodies can’t be found so he can’t be put in prison. This man is interesting so I keep reading about him and learn that he is only twenty years old and from Oklahoma. He murdered each woman one month apart on the 12th. I exit out of the page and look at my calendar to see that it is August 11th and the next night, August 12th, is the biggest party of the summer.
The night of the party I walk from my house to the beach with Ryan. When we arrive to The Cove it reminds me of what I saw at the first party of the summer. There are boys acting wild and girls acting scandalous as they dance, drink, and talk around the mountain of flames. This time though Nicky and Haylee don’t come up to me wondering what I have been doing for the last couple of hours or asking me if I was going to stay the whole time or just back out like usual. I guess throughout the summer I put my friendships on the back burner and forgot about everyone else. I have been so focused on Ryan I forgot all about of my friends.
Later in the night a few girls decide to go into the water and I join them wanting to have a little fun before I can’t enjoy it anymore. I take off the purple tank top that clings to my toned tanned torso revealing a black bikini top that has ruffles cascading down my chest until it stops below my breast bone. I take off my shoes and jump into the water with my jean shorts on and splash around with the other girls. I don’t notice when Ryan comes behind me in the water until he is pushed up against my back and wraps his arms around me.
“AHHHH!” I scream when I feel his icy hands touch my stomach. “Don’t ever do that again, Ryan!” I yell.
He just laughs me off and takes my hand to lead me behind a pile of rocks that shield us from everyone else.
“I love you. And I’m going to prove it,” he says as he takes me further away from everyone.
When we are far enough from everyone he turns to me. “I want to take away all of your pain,” he whispers in my ear. “This world is full of evil people who only care about themselves. This world is full of cruel things and I know you know what I mean. I see you with your mom and how much she doesn’t care about you. I want to make you feel better to where you never have to worry about anything again. I’m the only one who really loves you. I’m the only one who really cares about you and wants the beast for you. I have your best interest at heart and what I’m going to do won’t hurt much and you won’t even notice when it’s over,” he says while his hand trails from my wrist, up my arm, brushing against my neck, across my chest, down to my stomach, back up my body, and finally rests on my shoulder.
As he is speaking I try to understand what he is talking about. He says I won’t notice what’s happening. What is he talking about? I won’t notice what? He says he loves me, so I should trust him. Right?
He pushes my back into the rock and tells me to remain calm and quiet because he doesn’t want anyone else to hear us.
“Put your hands together above your head, “he tells me as he pulls a pocket knife out of a pocket in his swim shorts  I follow his command, afraid of his tone and what he might do. One of his hands holds my wrists in place while his other is still resting on my shoulder. The water is getting colder by the minute from the sun starting to go down. What will happen if no one finds me? I don’t know what to do. Should I try to scream for help?
“HELP! SOMEONE HELP ME!”
“I told you to be quiet,” he growls and slaps me across the face. “Now you will learn what true love is.”He takes the hand that slapped me and starts to choke me around the neck with it. “I’ve been dreaming about doing this for a month,” he says. “It really does get chaotic when you have to keep up with hiding your identity and trying not to kill the freshest meat,” he says over the sound of me choking and gasping for air. “I really do try not to murder,” he says in a condescending tone. “It’s just too much fun to stop, though. Especially when you don’t get caught.” 
I faintly hear the squeals of the girls die off and the sound of the party evaporating. I realize that is how I’m going to die. I hear a high pitch ringing in my ears and I can’t focus anymore. I can feel my body going limp and everything starts to go black. I can’t believe how stupid I was and how no one would ever know what happened to me or even care. I know that I, Jane Lewis, is about to become another Jane Doe because of the man I thought I loved and loved me.
And in my final few seconds of life I hear the words spoken by the last person I thought would betray me.
“Simon says die.”