Proprioception | Teen Ink

Proprioception

January 12, 2009
By Anonymous

Proprioception
Dennis rose from his bed. He looked around the room. Mom was not there.
“Shit.”
He ran around his condo. Looking. Searching. She was not in his bedroom, the bathroom, the kitchen. He had looked everywhere. She was not there. He took out his cell phone and dialed Sarah.
“Hey Where’s Mom?”
“What’s wrong? Are you ok?”
“No, I’m not ok. I’ve looked everywhere and Mom’s not here.”
“What are you talking about? Of course she’s not.”
“I don’t think you understand. She is not here.”
“Dennis. Relax. She’s probably still sleeping. Why would Mom be at your place?”
“If she’s not here then where is she then Sarah? Where is she?”
“Bye Dennis.”
“Wait.”
The phone dropped and depression sank in. Dennis could do nothing but cry. He climbed into his bed and curled up. His mouth surrounded his thumb and engaged in suction. Everything was a blur. Dennis had no clue what he would do without his mother. What could he do? How could anything happen without Mom here?
“No.”
Dennis heard the pulsing sound of his phone vibrating against the hardwood floor. He crawled over to pick it up. He flipped the cover and put the speaker to his ear.
“Dennis?”
A flood of relief surged through his body.
“You’re alive! Oh my God Mom, you weren’t here when I woke up but now you are. Oh man, I was so worried. I was just crying and everything. But you’re alive. Mom!”
“What’s wrong? Are you ok? Sarah called me. Why are you talking like that?”
“Talking like what Mom, you’re alive. I feel so much better. Where did you go?”
“Ok Dennis I’m calling your father. There is obviously something wrong with you. I’m going to have him find someone for you to see. Are you ok for now?”
“What? You’re leaving? No don’t. Don’t go to Dad. No Mom you can’t leave me again.”
“Are you going to be ok for a little while?”
“No! You can’t leave me again Mom! Where are you going, what am I going to do?”
“I will call you right back. Do not worry.”
“Mom!”
The phone went blank again. He was lost. Minutes past. Mom wasn’t calling back. How could she? She was gone forever. Life had no purpose at this moment. If Mom isn’t here she’s gone forever. And nothing can be done without Mom.