Against the tide | Teen Ink

Against the tide

By Ashwriter SILVER, Frisco, Texas
Ashwriter SILVER, Frisco, Texas

"Open your mind before your mouth" (Motionless In White)
"Nothing I could ever write would help you understand this life" (Motionless In White

The tide pulls back, stealing the sand from their home, making them lost at sea. Waves push them under, dragging them down to the depths of darkness, the depths of uncertainty. The sand struggles, fighting for one last glimpse of the home they knew. Gradually, the sand plunges below. Memories of friends, family, and fortune plague the mind. Events that once held little-to-no value are now seen as the most blissful moments in life. Catastrophic events that produced frightful thoughts are now seen as simple obstacles meant to be overcome. The wind produced by life’s taunting words, now stingless. The blistering sun that oversaw every move, the sun that many cursed, now missing. The gloomy moon that cast dark shadows upon the world, reminding everyone of the past, now invisible. Still descending, the sand realizes the mistake they made. They, like humans, thought that every aspect of their life must be inspected, must be analyzed, must be difficult. And they, like humans, came to the realization that life itself is not about the pain and suffering one went through, but rather what came out of it. After grasping this idea, the sand collided with the bottom of the world. And, after touching the ground, felt the presence of other sand all around him.