Do You Remember? This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

June was you by the pool. The day we first met, remember? I thought you were just one of those brawny lifeguard guys – you know the type: pretend to be all sweet, save the little kid from drowning, then go out and get totally hammered at night. I paid no ­attention to you, thought you were one of the heartbreakers, the ones I couldn’t care less about. But you had that smile with the dimples, and you came over just to offer me a watermelon Jolly Rancher. My favorite flavor. How did you know? That’s when I knew you were different.

July. August. After work we’d spread ourselves out on the field and drown in the sun, laugh at all those stupid jokes that aren’t even funny anymore. Why did we laugh so much back then?

Your studio, an explosion of color with your paintings enclosing you like a corral. Sometimes they made me jealous, when you saw them more than you saw me, but I loved them all the same. I loved that one of the beautiful girl with the long black hair, the one who looked so sad, but you wouldn’t say who she was. You’d never say. I’ll never know. So many secrets locked up in that little box of yours. You were fun, but you were serious.

“I want to be painted like that,” I said, because the painting was so beautiful. And you said, “Okay. Let’s do it.”

I still have that painting of me, by the way. You can only see half my face in it. “Why is that?” I asked. You shrugged. Another secret.

September. October. I love October. And you loved it too. When the leaves dance on the sidewalk and twirl through the air, when the world bleeds orange and red, and the air is like your stepmom’s apple crisp. We breathed it in together. We stood on the hill and closed our eyes, stretched our arms and spun around like five-year-olds, forgetting there was a world below. We listened to the wind whisper our names.

October was when we took the train downtown. It was fun that day, I don’t remember why. We skipped school (that was when school didn’t matter) and we rode downtown with your easels and paper and chalk and pencils, and we were going to draw fall. We drew the houses and trees, little kids flying a kite in the park, a mother duck and her ducklings wading through a river, a man asleep on a park bench, a maple leaf crisper than your stepmom’s apple crisp.

And you said, “Fall is a bit sad.”

And I asked why, and you said, “I dunno. It means summer’s over. It’s like ­losing something you can’t have back, like love.”

And I said, “But summer always comes back, doesn’t it?” And you said maybe.

We raked up a pile of leaves with a stick. We made this really big pile, laughing and running around it, losing half the leaves ’cause we’d stuff them in each other’s hair and shirts. We held hands, almost afraid to jump, like little kids taking their first dive into the deep end. One, two, three, go! And we sank into the big orange bed together.

I remember your easel that I carved my initials into. I remember the dimples on your cheeks, the eyes that were always on me. Your worn-out copy of The Great Gatsby that you read to me sometimes, and your plaid red scarf. I have that scarf, by the way. I wish it still smelled like you.

It’s October again, and the leaves are still dancing and the geese are still singing their good-bye song, and the bullfrog doesn’t sing because the pond’s almost frozen over. I wore your scarf yesterday as I rode the train downtown. I crossed the street to the park where we made the bed of leaves, and I tried to remember exactly where it was. And fall feels a little sad this year, like losing love.

I’m waiting to see if the summer comes back.

Stargirl212 said...
Jul. 4, 2010 at 10:46 am:
This is my favorite piece EVER!! beautiful. keep writing PLEASE~!

courteycat said...
Jul. 4, 2010 at 1:31 am:
I loved it but it made me kinda sad but I still loved it:)

socrchik33 said...
Jun. 21, 2010 at 8:40 pm:
beauitfiul peice its adorable and sad at the same time :) hey anyone who sees this can u comment on some of my work?? thx :)

gymbabe This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 15, 2010 at 2:18 pm:

Aww, this piece is so sweet!  Great expressions and use of language, beautiful and sad.  Please keep writing!

Btw, anyone who sees this, will you check out my work and comment on it?

Aelia said...
Jun. 12, 2010 at 3:48 pm:
It's an amazing piece. I love your use of language! Good job!

palak said...
Jun. 12, 2010 at 2:26 pm:
amazing....it was like reading a love letter...a  piece witch didnt let me off till the very last word

okinawagirl said...
Jun. 12, 2010 at 11:47 am:

Wow, that is amazingly well writen, well done!

PS:check out my work please? thanks.

Kicon said...
Jun. 12, 2010 at 12:58 am:
This is really, really pretty and heartfelt.  It feels like she's writing a letter and she's very sad and distant about it, like she's trying to move on but can't because she's waiting to see if the summer will come back.  ^.^

loveydoveycool9This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jun. 9, 2010 at 2:07 pm:
I love your poetic stly of this story.It's very cute and sweet. It was also like reading a love letter.

MoonlightAngelx0 said...
May 31, 2010 at 9:47 pm:
Very sweet and pretty.  Loved it.

forgottenpenname This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 21, 2010 at 9:04 pm:
Oh my gosh, that was amazing. Very poetic and very deep and very sweet. I loved every bit of it. :)

MemorialMustangs said...
May 21, 2010 at 2:33 pm:
wow i really loved your poem it is relateable yet different in a way it is really a masterpiece! :)  great job! :)

treegirl93 said...
May 21, 2010 at 1:48 pm:
I liked how you incorperated the beginning and end together- that kept it going smoothly.

Shannon X. said...
May 21, 2010 at 11:52 am:

wowers(:

i thought the poem was deep. its so true when sesons change, so does love. good work on the poem i loved it.

abigaildianne said...
May 21, 2010 at 7:26 am:
This was so deep. Very good. i loved it.

bgirlnumber4 said...
May 21, 2010 at 2:26 am:

Hey everyone, i am thinking about writing a novel and i was wondering if you could let me know what you think about this little sample article, TeenInk.com/fiction/romance/article/207945/Falling/ 

THanks! :)

Nguyen D. said...
May 4, 2010 at 8:32 pm:
Woah this is magnificent, very deep and detail description.

poisonivy said...
I love this story! You have a talent in writing stories...I hope to read more of your works!

Axoxo9 said...
I love this! It reminds me of my summer romance. i met this guy and he was amazing. Whenever he looked at me he always smiled. But then summer came and everything changed. This reminds me of that. You are an amazing writer.

Duckie430This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
amazing. i love this.