Do You Remember? | Teen Ink

Do You Remember? MAG

June was you by the pool. The day we first met, remember? I thought you were just one of those brawny lifeguard guys – you know the type: pretend to be all sweet, save the little kid from drowning, then go out and get totally hammered at night. I paid no ­attention to you, thought you were one of the heartbreakers, the ones I couldn’t care less about. But you had that smile with the dimples, and you came over just to offer me a watermelon Jolly Rancher. My favorite flavor. How did you know? That’s when I knew you were different.

July. August. After work we’d spread ourselves out on the field and drown in the sun, laugh at all those stupid jokes that aren’t even funny anymore. Why did we laugh so much back then?

Your studio, an explosion of color with your paintings enclosing you like a corral. Sometimes they made me jealous, when you saw them more than you saw me, but I loved them all the same. I loved that one of the beautiful girl with the long black hair, the one who looked so sad, but you wouldn’t say who she was. You’d never say. I’ll never know. So many secrets locked up in that little box of yours. You were fun, but you were serious.

“I want to be painted like that,” I said, because the painting was so beautiful. And you said, “Okay. Let’s do it.”

I still have that painting of me, by the way. You can only see half my face in it. “Why is that?” I asked. You shrugged. Another secret.

September. October. I love October. And you loved it too. When the leaves dance on the sidewalk and twirl through the air, when the world bleeds orange and red, and the air is like your stepmom’s apple crisp. We breathed it in together. We stood on the hill and closed our eyes, stretched our arms and spun around like five-year-olds, forgetting there was a world below. We listened to the wind whisper our names.

October was when we took the train downtown. It was fun that day, I don’t remember why. We skipped school (that was when school didn’t matter) and we rode downtown with your easels and paper and chalk and pencils, and we were going to draw fall. We drew the houses and trees, little kids flying a kite in the park, a mother duck and her ducklings wading through a river, a man asleep on a park bench, a maple leaf crisper than your stepmom’s apple crisp.

And you said, “Fall is a bit sad.”

And I asked why, and you said, “I dunno. It means summer’s over. It’s like ­losing something you can’t have back, like love.”

And I said, “But summer always comes back, doesn’t it?” And you said maybe.

We raked up a pile of leaves with a stick. We made this really big pile, laughing and running around it, losing half the leaves ’cause we’d stuff them in each other’s hair and shirts. We held hands, almost afraid to jump, like little kids taking their first dive into the deep end. One, two, three, go! And we sank into the big orange bed together.

I remember your easel that I carved my initials into. I remember the dimples on your cheeks, the eyes that were always on me. Your worn-out copy of The Great Gatsby that you read to me sometimes, and your plaid red scarf. I have that scarf, by the way. I wish it still smelled like you.

It’s October again, and the leaves are still dancing and the geese are still singing their good-bye song, and the bullfrog doesn’t sing because the pond’s almost frozen over. I wore your scarf yesterday as I rode the train downtown. I crossed the street to the park where we made the bed of leaves, and I tried to remember exactly where it was. And fall feels a little sad this year, like losing love.

I’m waiting to see if the summer comes back.

on Apr. 9 2009 at 1:29 pm
KatherineSanford, Cincinnati, Ohio
Hey. You not only need to keep submitting more writings but you also need to send some to a publisher. You could make it big in life if you really tried. my mother would always say 'To get what you want you must always try hard.' I dont think you need to personally. Just get up the courage and send them in.

on Apr. 7 2009 at 8:30 pm
bcookie PLATINUM, Ashville, Ohio

“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

This story was simple yet very touching.

I was just curious about where the boy went?

luv it otherwise!

Asho said...
on Apr. 6 2009 at 11:04 pm
I started reading this with an open mind, and you didn't let me down. It was amazingly beautiful and nostalgic, and it almost made me cry it was so sweet. So very wonderful!

on Apr. 4 2009 at 3:05 am
CloudedCrystal SILVER, Florissant, Missouri
Okay, I'm a sucker for love stories and, even though i love fall and winter, there is always part of me that always wishes it were summer. Love it!

CatCave GOLD said...
on Mar. 30 2009 at 3:22 pm
CatCave GOLD, Duluth, Georgia

We do not inherit the earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children.

I almost cried. Great job! Keep writing and polishing your writing skills.

flutemusique said...
on Mar. 29 2009 at 3:24 am
I just love this story . . . your language is so poetic!

on Mar. 25 2009 at 8:18 pm
MySocksAreYellow, Utuado, Other
Okay, this was beautiful! I loved every second of it. It's an amazing talent the one you have. Keep writing!

on Mar. 24 2009 at 7:49 am
redsoxgirl BRONZE, Londonderry, New Hampshire
1 article 0 photos 1 comment
this was beautiful. i don't agree with what some have said about the characters not being believable, they seemed very real to me. keep up the good work!

on Mar. 23 2009 at 7:18 pm
YeseniaG SILVER, Livonia, Michigan

Life is what happens when you're busy making plans.

wow, really good. i love how you tied the next fall back to him.

LexayLee said...
on Mar. 21 2009 at 10:43 pm
This made me cry. It's so real, and so true. I love it.

on Mar. 21 2009 at 1:04 am
yourworstnightmare BRONZE, Sioux Falls, South Dakota

The best prize that life offers is the chance to work hard at work worth doing. (Teddy Roosevelt)

wow. that's just... an amazing story. it made me feel conected to you in some way. keep writing

bre said...
on Mar. 19 2009 at 10:20 pm
i love your story I want more it reminds me of a relationship a friend once had

on Mar. 19 2009 at 6:38 pm
saratana95 BRONZE, Tulsa, Oklahoma
Aw. That was a sweet story.

on Mar. 19 2009 at 12:34 pm
toast-not-toaster BRONZE, Kong, Other

“I feel small; but so are stars from a distance.”

I think it's simply amazing that the lines of black on my computer screen put on there by some kid halfway across the world can touch me here in my tiny study room late at night when I'm all alone.

YOU ARE A GREAT WRTER!

on Mar. 13 2009 at 6:00 pm
Kathleen Boylan BRONZE, Plainwell, Michigan
This is amazing! It's very descriptive-I feel like I am there almost. I can visualize the boy and his dimples, and the details, like the Jolly Rancher, were awesome. Keep up the good work =]

libby BRONZE said...
on Mar. 13 2009 at 12:33 am
libby BRONZE, Chicago, Illinois
this is fantastic!

on Mar. 9 2009 at 1:28 am
kdpunk182 SILVER, Greenwood, Indiana
I really loved your description, i could almost feel the leaves in my hand. Also I love how you inner twined the story. You talk of fall and how it is like the end on summer or love. Fall is almost remembering. Like after losing love and looking back at the times of love and laughter.

on Mar. 6 2009 at 3:37 am
MusicandDance95 BRONZE, Danville, California
that was one of the most amazing stories ive EVER read!!!

on Mar. 1 2009 at 5:17 pm
KennisLora GOLD, Palm Harbor, Florida

A hero is no braver than an ordinary man, but he is braver five minutes longer. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

"the air is like your stepmom’s apple crisp."

"I have that scarf, by the way. I wish it still smelled like you"

"I’m waiting to see if the summer comes back."

So powerful! These lines just were like *whump* right to the heart. That last line was just so wonderfully intertwined within the story. You really just come to the understanding, because summer=love. And you (as in the writer) are waiting for love to return.

Just lovely.

on Mar. 1 2009 at 12:08 am
RainWashed PLATINUM, Park City, Utah

"Repeat the good and the bad. Do it all again. And pile on the years."

I loved your story. It was really good for someone submitting to Teenink. I think you should persue writing as a career. Your a very good writer!!!! :O