The Chess Table | Teen Ink

The Chess Table

By YamiTenshi GOLD, Wilmington, Delaware
YamiTenshi GOLD, Wilmington, Delaware

A story writes itself, you just start it.

The chess game was perfectly set up.  Each glass piece was perfectly aligned, mirrored, and still.  Clear versus cloudy, pure versus corrupted.  Everything was simply still and perfect.  The chess table sat on a small side table next to two large cushioned chairs, meant for holding those who had power, money, or both.  These men come together every year to play this game, Yin and Yang, to see if the world will be thrown into chaos, or if the humans shall enjoy another year of peace and prosperity.
            "Yin...," Yang said with his short white hair catching the light of the crackling fire.
            "Yes Yang," Yin asked as his long black hair was tied up into a neat ponytail leaving his ends barely touching the floor.
Yin's hair was emitting shadows as the fire crackled on.  I stood among them with my sister, the Sun.  Dressed in a bright hanbok, she holds the happiness to the humans, while I, the Mistress of Despair, wear a long black kimono with white flowers on it, a bad omen.
            "You dressed your kitty very nicely," Yang whispered as he moved his clear piece.
            "And you dressed the sun in such lively colors," Yin replied as he moved his corrupted pawn forward.
I caught my sister's eyes and I saw a faint blush upon her cheeks.  I couldn't help myself from blushing either.  Yin and Yang are such gentlemen, we're not used to such compliments from them.  Yang moved his clear pawn to Yin's corrupted pawn, capturing it.
"Honestly Yin," Yang yawned.  "You always were the first one to lose a pawn."
"A pawn is a pawn," Yin replied.  "And some pawns are used to be sacrifices for the greater good."
Yang scowled at his twin and studied my face.  I shifted my weight on my three inch getas, trying to keep my balance, and break away from his glare.
"Your kitty seems to be nervous, dear brother," Yang said and I finally got the chance to look away.
Yin quickly turned to me and studied my face.
"Princess what's troubling you?" he asked and I gulped.
"I...I'm just...."
"Out with it!"
"Nothing Sir...."
"You know that's a lie...what's the matter?"
"Don't let me distract you from your game," I whispered.  "The fate of the world hangs in the balance of this game."
"Princess!" he roared, making me tremble.  "Don't talk back to me...please.  You may be Princess of the Moon but I'm the king of chaos."
"So basically the devil..."
"Good cannot thrive without evil."
"I never wanted to be with you....you kidnapped me."
"ENOUGH YOU TWO!" Yang shouted, startling all of us.
He never lost his temper before...never, and yet it was also so calming that none of the pieces were disturbed.
"She's right....she's right about everything but we can deal with them later...we need to finish this game!"