The Game | Teen Ink

The Game

March 3, 2015
By Zarina Haffizulla SILVER, Davie, Florida
Zarina Haffizulla SILVER, Davie, Florida
9 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The Game

It was the night before the basketball game. Once again, Marcella started  twiddling her thumbs and sweating constantly soaking her sheets, in the middle of the night. This was the middle of the season, and she only had four games left. This was the fifth game she had. All of the previous games she played, her team lost.
“I don’t know if I can do this! I don’t know if I can do this!” Marcella repeated while silently sobbing in fear.
She continued sobbing over and over again. Abruptly, she heard mother running upstairs to check on her. She could tell it was her mom because, her dad’s feet were louder than her mom’s.
“Marcella, it’s three in the morning. Are you feeling okay? I can hear you sobbing and talking in your sleep?” asked her mom while she turned on the light of her room, trying to adjust her eyes to the light.
“Yeah, Mom, I’m fine,”  said Marcella while sighing. “Why are you awake?”
“I was getting some food from the kitchen. Marcella, tell me what’s wrong?” asked her mom while looking at her sad face.
Marcella’s mom always knew when something was bothering her daughter every time she did this.
“It’s just that, we have a basketball game tomorrow, and I’m not feeling very comfortable about it, okay?” cried Marcella wiping her tears.
“Why are you so worried?” her mom asked, still half asleep.
“We haven’t won a single game this season. I just don’t want to lose again. Besides, last year we won all the games, except for two, which wasn’t that bad!” exclaimed Marcella.
Her mom continued to listen to her deep frustration about the basketball game.
“Oh, I see what’s going on here.” her mom said while studying her daughter’s face.
“What?” asked Marcella, still stressing about the game.
“You were so used to the having all the good players on your team last year, and now you’re feeling frustrated that they’re gone. Now, you have a new set of girls on your team,” explained her mom reading her daughter’s face.
“Well, that’s partly true,” replied Marcella.
“Trust me, I was a basketball player once. I can see what you’re going through,” said her mom.  “Now, I want you to become the star player; don’t depend on one person doing all the work. I want you to believe in yourself, and you will score points,” insisted her mom.
“You know what? You’re right,” replied Marcella confidently.
“Good, I want you to go to bed now, alright?” said her mom.
“Ok, Mom, thanks for the advice,” replied Marcella.
“Anytime. I love you. Good night,” said her mom as she turned off the lights and went to her bed.
“Ok, good night,” said Marcella excitedly.
Marcella finally went to sleep around 3:30 am. She continued to believe in herself and erased all the fear in her mind. She mainly focused on working hard, and winning the game at the same time. After that, she finally fell asleep.
It was Saturday and she had to be at her school by 9:30 am. Marcella went downstairs and ate a little breakfast before she got changed into her basketball uniform. After eating, she rushed up to her room and changed into her uniform.
“Wait, Marcella,” said her mom, stopping her for a second. Marcella turned around to face her mom.
“I want you to remember what we talked about last night. Your father and I will be there to support you,” said her mom excitedly.
“Ok. Thanks mom,” replied Marcella, as she ran out the door.
Since her school was only about five minutes from where she lived, she was able to get there on time. She walked into the gym and her teammates were already getting ready.  Their coach started practicing immediately on all their usual drills. Which was mostly shooting, passing, and their plays.
“Ok, guys! Let's do this!” exclaimed Marcella.
“Hopefully!” exclaimed Jackie excitedly.
“Yeah! We've got this you guys!” shouted Sarah while jumping around.
After they finished practicing, the game was about to start.
“Ok, girls! Remember all of the drills we did in practice and the plays we ran!” insisted her coach.
“Yeah!” everyone yelled right before it was time to start.
Marcella was sitting out while five of her teammates were starting. Her parents just walked in and they waved at Marcella as they took their seats before the game started. The game started and the time went by really fast.
She watched her teammates fail to make the shots or even try to dribble the ball past the other team, who were taking the ball from her teammates and following it with a lay-up.
“I can’t watch this,” said Marcella while sighing as she put her head between her legs.
The first two quarters ended. During halftime, her coach only talked about doing one of their plays and preventing the other team from stealing the ball. Her teammates continued talking about the plans they were going to run, and then the buzzer went off. Everyone resumed to the court and continued playing. Marcella was still watching from the bench. The score was 35 to 47, and her team started to get a little better.
“Just believe in what mom said,” whispered Marcella, to herself.
All of a sudden, it was the last quarter.
“Ok, Marcella you’re in, and work hard,” insisted her coach.
“I will,” said Marcella with confidence.
The player from the opposite team had the ball and dribbled it Marcella’s way. Marcella stole the ball from the girl’s hand and ran to the basket. She quickly dribbled around the defense and made the shot. Her parents and teammates were cheering for her. Marcella started to play more and more offensively.
“I can’t believe I’m doing it!” exclaimed Marcella.
Marcella followed the plays she had done in practice, and her teammates followed her. Her team continued to be successful. Then, there were five seconds left in the game and it was 47 to 47. Marcella received the ball and ran across the court. She dodged all the defense and saw an open spot. She rushed in, and quickly made a jump shot. Everyone watched anxiously as the ball flew to the basket. Then in the last two seconds, it went in. The ball slowly landed in the basket in less than one second, and the buzzer went off.
Everyone sitting on the bleachers were screaming and cheering for Marcella.
“I can’t believe I did it,” thought Marcella.
“Good, Marcella you worked very hard out there!” exclaimed her coach.
“Thanks,” she replied.
Then, her parents came over to congratulate her.
“Excellent job Marcella. I told you that if you believe and became the leader, you would succeed!’ said her mom. “You took my advice and applied it to your game today!”
“You were right. From now on, I will not be so nervous anymore!” exclaimed Marcella as she hugged her parents. “I won’t be afraid,”