Too Surreal | Teen Ink

Too Surreal

By AeowynRichmond GOLD, Tacoma, Washington
AeowynRichmond GOLD, Tacoma, Washington

He heard the deep rasping breathes. It felt as if they came from within the walls of the small corridor, within the floor he walked on.

But no.

he knew the breathing came from the creatures large, saliva-filled mouth. The horrendous sound bouncing off each wall, ricocheting from one hall to the next, until it finally reached his ears.

He didnt want to see what was behind the door. He in fact had never seen it. He just knew it was there. He felt its presence.

At first the boy thought he was crazy, hearing rasping voices no one else could hear. But the more he thought about it, the more he realized he could feel its presence. He knew it was meant for him.

The corridor looked somewhat like a hotel. It was not brightly lit, nor was it comforting.

He felt drawn to one door. He had locked eyes with it just a couple days earlier.

It was a red door, the same as all the others. There was no difference between this door and any other.

Well, besides the unnerving urge. His fingers twitched as he eyed the handle, his legs shivered the closer he got, and his adrenaline spiked as he went to open the door.

He opened it slowly, seeing as a loud noise was probably not the best. He put one hand in the middle of the door and one hand turning the door knob.

He slowly edged it open, looking left and right, the paranoia and fear pumping through his veins. He tilted his head into the room, his heart beating so fast he thought it might explode.

He looked through the crack in the door. His eyes only seeing darkness.

Then the darkness moved.

A large bright shape protruded his vision. He tilted his head backwards, confused at what he was seeing.

Then he realized the shape, a shape he had seen so many times before. The coloring was even the same.

His blood felt ice cold running through his body. It was cold from head to toe.

The shape was an eye.

The boy slammed the door as fear rushed through his body, and before he realized it the sound echoed throughout the hallway, a loud boom ricocheting throughout the building. 

He started sprinting down the hallway, his adrenaline pumped through him like air to a tire. And before he knew it, he was out of the building and into the cold night air.

And as he looked around he realized that inside the hotel like building then out here.
And he was right.

If he had stayed out there he would have been mugged by the homeless man lying on the ground just two feet away.

But luckily the boy went back into the hotel like building.

But as he walked inside, the fear came back, the horrible fear, pounding through his veins, it stopped him in his tracks, his heavy breathing in sync with the creatures.

But he walked on, down the hallway and into the darkness. Plowing through, until he reached the door once again.

And even if the fear was there he pushed himself to walk, walk all the way to the door.

And he did something.

He couldn't tell if this was bravery or stupidity, or both. But he did it anyway.

He slammed open the door.

But there was nothing there. No monster. No eye. There was only a record, playing over and over repeating the rasping breaths that haunted the boy so much.

He walked over to the the record player and turned it off, taking out the record.

The record was labled Ted.

The boys name was Ted.

And then he wondered. What was this, was it a immature prank played by fellow adolescents? Was this secretly horror movie that he didnt know he was a part of? What was this?

But after his searching he could find no reasonable answer for this pridicament. No reasonable thing what so ever.

But he couldnt do it. He couldnt understand what this was, he couldnt understand what ths life was. There was nothing.

Nothing.

He felt weak, almost like he could fall down at any moment, just fall down on the floor. All effort left him. He just didnt want to do it anymore. 

But as every human does, he pushed on.

He grabbed the record a held it over his head, the intent to destroy it printed into his mind.

But he hesitated.
Was this here for a reason?

But then he realized something. It didnt really matter if this was here for a reason. It didnt matter.

And so with the intent of destroying it printed in his mind, he threw it onto the floor, its contents shattering terminally, hopefully never to be seen again.