Parker's Experience | Teen Ink

Parker's Experience

By BennyandLuke SILVER, Hartville, Ohio
BennyandLuke SILVER, Hartville, Ohio

If you can't stand the way this place is, take yourself to higher places.

That was the time he stopped believing everything in the fridge is edible.

Parker never understood that humans could possibly put more than just food in fridges. Being a Naga, he knew little of our high class society. Even as it reaches his sixth month living amongst us, he surprised us with his innocence.

I remember the day when I stumbled into complete chaos. It had been blistering hot outside, and it didn’t help that Disc had both Dante and me watching over the kids as they played. An hour barely passed, and we’re both hot sweaty messes under the shade just wanting nothing more than to go inside. We caught a lucky break when Nikki and Victoria came out to take our places. I wasted no time in rushing through the Order and into the kitchen. I needed a huge glass of water or something, but a groan on the floor caused me to freeze. It was coming around the other side of the island counter. I couldn’t see who it was. All I could assume is that it’s male. Carefully pushing my way around, I flinched at the familiar sight of black, green, and red. Parker laid on the floor with his hands on his stomach.

“Parker?” I croaked, “Are you okay, man?”

His yellow slit eyed opened to look directly at me.

“Dude, what happened?”

He groaned once more before turning on his side. It still grosses me out to watch as he unhitched his jaw with a sickening cracking sound. I shut my eyes as I heard it followed by Parker throwing up. Footsteps from behind made me turn as I reopened them to see Dante. He was wiping his face with a towel, and unaware of what he was walking in on.

“Dante, we have a problem.” I said.

He removed the towel before rolling his eyes.

“What the hell did you do this time?” he asked.

“I didn’t do anything this time.” I answered, “It’s Parker.”

I pointed my thumb over my shoulder while ignoring the sound of him barfing. Dante shoved his way passed me. 

“Crap, Parker!” he practically shouted, “Mal go get Disc!”

Nodding my head, I raced once more through the Order. I don’t know where Disc would be, but I figured that if he were anywhere it would be the roof. Now when I first came to the Order, I never knew that there were a total of ten floors until after I toured the place. The roof always felt so far up. My lungs practically burned as I reached the top step. I panted. Why did Disc pick such a high place to hide? My hand presses the door open as I glanced out to see no one on top of the roof. My eye twitched.

“God dang it, Disc!” I groaned, “Where is he?”

The trip back down the first floor was even longer. If there was ever a death by stairs, I was sure that it would be the most vile of all deaths. Heading back in the kitchen, I was relieved to find that Disc is in there now. Parker is lying on the counter with Disc pushing down on his stomach causing the Naga to let out cries.

“We’re going to have to take him to the hospital.” Disc stated, “He’s going to have to have his stomach pumped.”

“What?”

They turned to face me.

“Ah Mal.” Disc faked a smile, “You finally joined us.”

I shot him a glare.

“I was looking you!” I growled.

“Well, I’m here with poor Parker.”

He pat the Naga on the stomach causing him to let out another cry. Dante slapped his hand away.

“Stop that.” he snapped, “He’s sick.”

“Because he ate something he shouldn’t have.”

“That doesn’t mean you should keep pressing on his stomach.”

“Mal help Parker to the truck. Dante, you’ll drive them to the hospital. I’ll make sure to call them ahead of time to make sure that they put staff that knows about the Underworld work on him.”

“Okay.”

I slowly went up to Parker as his eyes locked onto me.

“You’re going to be okay, man.” I said, “We’re taking you to the hospital.”

“That bad?”

“Yeah. What did you eat?”

He lifted his hand up before pointing his index finger.

“I drank sssssome of that bottle in the fridge.”

Glancing over, I saw the small bottle on the countertop next to the sink. I have never seen it before. What is that?

“Parker you dumbass, you weren’t supposed to drink that. It’s a special kind of paint meant for fabrics that Nikki was using for something.”

“Why wasssss it in the fridge?”

“It needed to be cold in order to work.”

“That isssss ssssso ssssstupid.”

Parker groaned while his eyes shut. Dante turned towards me.

“Let’s take him to the hospital, Mal.”

“Okay.”

I got this idea to write this after hearing my friend tell this story about her uncle drinking paint thinner by accident.