Something New | Teen Ink

Something New

February 3, 2015
By Scarletroseann GOLD, Independence, Oregon
Scarletroseann GOLD, Independence, Oregon
18 articles 0 photos 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
i found this quote in City of Bones, i believe, by Cassandra Clare the quote is:

"The measure of love is to love without measure."
--Saint Augustine


Chapter 1: Liz

Dear Diary,
I fell for a guy who sees me only as a sister. Can you believe that? I mean I thought there was something more to it than that. I guess I was wrong. Let’s face it I’m hopeless when guys  are involved. I guess that’s what Marie and Rebecca are for. They keep saying I should look at others the same way I looked at him but I can’t. I’ve tried and it doesn’t work. Well I’ll figure something out eventually… I hope.
Another day awaits.
Love, Elisabeth

“Liz! Time for school!” my sister, Sophie, calls from the kitchen.
“Coming sis!” I call back, yanking on a teal-blue sundress and my favorite pair of black leather flats before hurriedly brushing my extremely straight dirty-blond hair, then I race down the stairs to the kitchen with my pink and lavender backpack slung over my left shoulder and my black tote shoulder strap half strangling me.
“Why are you in a dress?” Sophie asks after making sure I’m actually dressed.
I go to school one-er-twice in my PJs and suddenly I’m under Sophie’s strict come to me before going to school rule.
“Because I can,” I reply grabbing a granola bar and a bottle of water from the kitchen.
“Grab a jacket before you head out,” she says heading to the garage and her red VW Bug.
I say nothing as I grab my favorite jean jacket and head to the front door and the waiting pink and white spotted BW Bug with a red-head driver.
“Hey, Rebecca,” I say as I toss my bag in the back seat, waking a sleeping brunette.
  “Hey!” Marie exclaims, sitting up and rubbing sleep from her eyes.
“Hello to you too,” I say smiling.
“Someone’s happy.”
“Not really, Beca. Just relieved,” I answer, feeling suddenly nervous.
“Is that so?” Marie questions leaning forward now that she’s awake.
“Yeah…” I trail off as Beca finally decides to pull out of my driveway and towards Amethyst High.
The ride into town is quiet except for Beca and Mar’s arguing over what to play on the radio. When they settle on Jazz, of all things. I look out my window and watch the STOP N’ SHOP, or TOP N’HOP since both S’s are out, go by marking the halfway-there point. Five minutes later we pass Amethyst High and its Purple Miner Mascot holding a huge chunk of fake Amethyst, it  use to be real Amethyst but it was stolen four times so they finally decided to paint a huge rock Amethyst Purple.
“Where are we going, Beca?” I ask fiddling with my jacket buttons.
“No where!”Beca and Mar suspiciously say as one.
“Okay?’ I question drawing out the word. Deciding not to push the subject because there is only three days left of school. I lay my head on the glass and watch the road go by.
After what feels like hours in the little BW turned dressing room by Mar. Beca pulls into a parking lot packed with luxury cars of all kinds.
“Where are we?”
“Put this on,” Mar says tossing a little black strapless-dress at me, with the matching black leather strap-heels—which she thankfully sets on the center console.
“Okay?” I draw the word out giving the smiling Mar and Beca a look.
“Oh, come on Liz. Lighten up,” Beca says as she pulls on a skintight red dress, that brings out her emerald green eyes and fiery red hair.
“Okay, why are we here?” I ask pulling on the little black dress before I put on the matching heels followed by my jean jacket.
“You’ll see,” Mar says slipping into her southern drawl.
“Okay?” I say, getting out of the BW before I yank my seat forward and help Marie out of the back seat.

Chapter 2: Liz


Linking arms with Marie and Rebecca, who lead my toward a red brick warehouse with a silver tin roof and pounding base. We reach the Club in comfortable silence, until Mar spots the six foot, broad-shouldered, brown-haired Bouncer in a tight black T-shirt with a black vest over it and Dark jeans with his arms crossed and a scowl on his face.
The bouncer gave us a once over before asking, “IDs?”
Beca and I give the bouncer our fake ID’s, while Mar cozy’s up to him. The bouncer, seeming to ignore Mar’s attempts at conversation and attention stays rooted in place looking our ID’s over.
“Come on Mar, give the guy your ID,” I say pulling her away from the bouncer.
“Fine,” Mar pouts pulling her ID out of her bra, and handing it to the bouncer.
“How old are y’all?” The bouncer asks in a deep southern voice.
I watch Mar’s pouty face disappear replaced by her southern-bell smile before she lets her southern roots show in her in words, “Why, sir, were all twenty-one.”
“Ladies, I know ya’ll ant twenty-one. I’ma give ya’ll one last chance. Now, how old are ya?” The bouncer says squinting his eyes as he puts his hands into his pockets.
After sharing a look, Beca and I say, with a sigh, “Nineteen.”
Mar says with her southern-bell smile and big southern voice, “Eighteen.”
“Now, was that so hard?” The bouncer says, his face a little more relaxed but his poster still tense and ready for a fight.
“No, sir,” Mar says, batting her eyes at the bouncer.
“Can we go in?” Beca asks pulling the creeping Marie back to us.
The bouncer says nothing as he hands us back the fake IDs and stamps the back of our hands with a red curly U that looks like a bull’s head without eyes; before he moves the red velvet rope, allowing us to pass.
“Ya’ll have fun now, and be safe,” The bouncer calls over his shoulder to us.
We walked into the club and were immediately engulfed in the pounding bass and dancing bodies. Beca and I pulled Mar to a blood red and black colored table in the back with a little bull centerpiece.
“Let’s dance!” Mar shouts over the music from her leather and wood chair.
“No!” I shouted back taking the seat to her right.
“Come on Liz; loosen up,” Beca and Mar whine as one.
“Find me someone to dance with then maybe,” I shout crossing my arms over my chest.
After sharing a look Mar and Beca shout as one, “Done!” then they pull me to my feet and with smiles on their faces towards the dance floor.
As Beca and Mar danced with each other and the few guys in leather vests unlucky enough to be caught between them, I stood like a statue watching them bump hips with each other and dirty dance with the guys.
“What’s a girl like you doing in a place like this?” A husky voice whisper-shouts, in my ear from behind.
I look for Beca and Mar in the crowed before I finally give up and turn around to look at the guy who spoke.
“I’m here with friends. It’s a girl’s night.” I tell him simply letting my eyes wander over him, making sure to keep my arms crossed over my chest.
He was dressed like the other guys, leather vest, black pants, and black shoes but his hair was a dark brown almost black color and he had no shirt covering his perfectly muscled chest except the vest. I must have been staring because I heard him cough a laugh. I dragged my eyes back to his face and our gazes locked. The trace of a flirty grin I glimpsed vanished and was replaced with something like recognition but it was gone before I could be sure.
He grasped my arm and I instantly felt cold so I screamed but it didn’t help, the music was too loud and before I could scream again he had his free hand over my mouth and was dragging me backwards through the crowd. I looked frantically for Marie and Rebecca but I couldn’t see them in the crowd of dancing bodies.

Chapter 3: Liz


When he let me go, we were in a black walled room with a huge oak-I think- door and no pounding base.
“Who are you?” I ask him with more courage than I felt I had.
“I’m Brad, but you knew that,” the guy, Brad, says stone faced and arms crossed.
I walk around the room trying to find a way out but can’t so I stop at a corner and wait for him to say something that will give me a hint as to what he means.
“I know what you are,” He says cryptically, a creepy-killer grin on his face.
“Tell me! Cause I have no idea what you’re talking about!” I shout throwing my hands up.
Brad turns his head to the side looking at me like a bird might before it attacks its prey, before he mumbles, “You don’t know, do you?”
“Boss?” Mar’s bouncer says coming into the room through an unseen door.
“Yes, what is it?” Brad answers a little irritation in his voice.
“The girl’s friends are looking for her.”
“Right, take the girl out to meet them. I’m done with her, for now,” Brad says with a wave of his hand.
“Yes, Sir,” the bouncer replies waving his hand before he walks through the unseen door expecting me to follow.
Against my better judgment, I follow him though the unseen door and down a cave like hallway, that I don’t remember being dragged down, and into the club and its welcoming pound of base and dancing bodies.

Chapter 4: Liz


“Where have you been?” Mar and Beca shout as one.
“In the bathroom,” I lie, realizing that the bouncer and the hallway I left behind had vanished.
“Liar! We cheeked,” Mar, slurs leaning heavily on Beca, who looks vaguely annoyed. 
“Some guy gave her a few orange-juice drink-things that were apparently spiked,” Beca explains after I gave her my best what-the-hell look.
“They were good. He was hot.” Mar slurs, making the o’s unnecessary long before she burst into a fit of giggles.
“Let’s head to the clubhouse so Mar can detox.” I suggest, standing on Mar’s right side before draping my arm around her waist.
“No! I’m staying with the hottie!” Mar whine-shouts before bursting into another fit of giggles.
“Good idea.” Beca says looking at me before putting Mar’s arm around her neck.
After I place Mar’s other arm around my neck, Beca puts her arm around Mar’s waist and together we half-carry half-drag a drunk Marie out of the club, past a bouncer and out to Beca’s car.
Chapter 5: Liz


Beca and I put Mar in the front seat, for easier road access should she puck. When Mar is securely inside, I close the door and walk to the back of the car where I can reach the back seat without having to crawl over Mar or Beca’s not-willing-to-budge driver’s seat. I open the trunk and carefully maneuver myself so that I can close it before crawling to my seat behind Mar. Allowing Beca to pull of the driveway and onto the road as Mar sings in a voice not her own, “Lizzy the lizard an angel unknown with blood of despair running in her veins. Lizzy the lizard an angel unknown,” Then she bursts into a fit of giggles.
I tried my best to ignore Mar’s song, which she kept repeating; sometimes leaving Lizard out or she would replace Lizzy with Elisabeth or sometimes she would leave my name out altogether but she would always keep an Angel unknown with blood of despair running in her veins, that was the one constantan. The song left a cold feeling deep inside of me and I felt something hot and cold begin to stir deep inside me. What, I have no idea. 
I laid my head on the cool glass of the window in an attempt to block Mar’s song. Before I even asked her to stop, she did, although she kept giggling uncontrollably.
“Mar, Sweetie, what’s so funny?” Beca asks softly.
Mar abruptly stops her giggling only to stare out the front window, unblinkingly.
“Liz?” Beca asks from behind the wheel looking through rearview mirror at me.
“Yeah, Beca?”
“What really happened at the club?”
“I met a guy who—“ I was cut off by Mar’s wale of, “He’s coming!”
Beca and I both stared at each other through the mirror, then I saw them, headlights. I yelled at Beca to stop and despite the squeal of the tiers braking, it wasn’t enough. The car was rolling down the hill we had just climbed and it was taking us with it.
The car finally stopped what seemed like seconds later but must have been hours because the sun was setting, I couldn’t feel my legs and Mar wasn’t in her seat, but Beca was and she was silent.
I leaned forward and I could feel my legs again, and they hurt like hell. I ignored the pain as long as I could and I shook Beca’s shoulder weakly as I said her name between calls for help. Then I fell back in my seat as everything slowly went dark.


The author's comments:

This is an exerpt from a much bigger novel that I am currently working on. Any advice is welcome. I will take sugestions for a Title as well. Thank you 

 

--Scarlet