Death's Embrace | Teen Ink

Death's Embrace

By TheGenesisWriter SILVER, Hemet, California
TheGenesisWriter SILVER, Hemet, California

"Be not afraid of greatness; some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them." -William Shakespeare

Everyone looks at me differently now. I don’t understand why, I used to be able to find joy in their eyes but now I see nothing but sorrow. When did the sound of laughter become a distant memory? I can only remember silent sobs echoing into my room. All cheer has forsaken me and my family. The only person who I can imagine that will be happy to see me is Death. When everyone else looks at me they don’t even acknowledge I am human, they just see me as a ticking time-bomb or something on the back shelf of a pantry about to expire. Death doesn't see me like that, he is patiently waiting for me while everyone else is anxiously biting their nails, passively waiting for my last breath to be drawn. I think I’ll see Death soon, I feel his warmth drawing nearer and nearer. Its strange I've always thought Death would be cold and heartless, only out to destroy what God has created but in reality he is much warmer than anything my life has to offer. In fact I think I’ll get to feel his full embrace today. I hear the machines yelling that my heart is beginning to stop beating. The doctors are rushing in and my family is screaming “Save him, save him!” but it is a little late for that. I want to say goodbye but I don't have enough air in exhausted lungs to spit out one simple word. Instead I'll shed a single tear. Yes, my tear will be goodbye. Let it shine in the light of the dawn and drive back the darkness that has clouded them for so long and let me go to Death. The lights of the room fade to black as I die but then when I open my eyes again I’m standing on a white marble floor that expands in all directions as far as they eye can see. The only thing that I can see is Death cloaked in black robes, sitting on a bench in front of me just as I knew he would be. He slowly rose from his seat and walked over to me. I ran as fast as I could to greet him and when I finally reached him, he wrapped his arms around me and said soothingly “You will know laughter again and you will know joy. Let us go.” Death does not destroy, he frees and he has by all means freed me.