How to be a good driver? | Teen Ink

How to be a good driver?

January 11, 2009
By Anonymous

So you want to know the secrets to being a good driver? Well, there are really no secrets. But, there are things you could do to make yourself better. Things like not using your mirrors and turn signals, your number of tickets, and distractions while driving are all things that contribute to improving your motor skills. By reading on, you will not only help yourself to be a better driver, but you can converse with others about what you’ve read and set an example to encourage others to follow in your footsteps.

Rear-view mirrors, side mirrors, and turn signals are all pointless additions to our automobiles that make things more difficult for us. By getting rid of side mirrors, our cars would be able to fit in tighter parking spots. Also, by not having turn signals, we would have one less light bulb to worry about changing to save us money. And let’s face it, rear-view mirrors are just there for decoration. So, to improve driving skills, fail to use signals and mirrors at all times possible.

When in doubt, always go at least 10 miles per hour over the speed limit. This is the best way to get a speeding ticket. Also, to be even one step better, you can make sure to drive without insurance or a license. This makes the police extremely happy when they pull you over. If you aren’t very fond of speeding, parking tickets are always another excellent source to show you’re a good driver. This means park anywhere and everywhere, especially where there are signs that designate no parking.

Another outstanding contribution to being a good driver is different types of distractions. Drunk driving is the main source and most highly respected. One idea is to make sure you always have a couple shots in your system before driving. This will help impair you vision and cause you to not be able to see straight, which is really helpful and useful. Also, if you don’t have time to have a few drinks before leaving wherever you are, take a couple beers or a bottle of wine along for the ride. Make sure to drink it fast too. Slow and steady doesn’t win the race.
Another big thing is using cell phones. This is the number one distraction for teenage drivers right now, but it can be for all ages. By talking on the phone, it helps us to focus more on our conversation than on the road, which is a great asset to being a good driver. Another way cell phones can help is by texting. So, if you ever have a long story to tell a friend and you just can’t wait, send a nice long text. This keeps your eyes off the road for a good few minutes, which can potentially cause accidents.
For women, if you don’t have a cell phone, there is always the alternative of applying make-up. This could save you a lot of time at home and allow you to sleep later on those early mornings. Just apply all your make-up while driving to work or school. Some other great alternatives are eating, drinking, reading, and writing. All of these examples will provide long enough distractions for you to not focus on the road, which ultimately makes you a better driver.

All the above are key ideas and tools to use when wanting to become a better driver. From tickets, turn signals, mirrors, and distractions, you can really help yourself to appear as a better driver.