Hopefully | Teen Ink

Hopefully

4. I had no idea where I was going, but I was sure that it would be better than where I had come from. It had to be. I didn’t know what I would do if I couldn’t find anywhere to stay, or work, or- I stopped my train of thought right there. I wasn’t going to think negatively any more.
The scenery on the other side of the window pane flashed by. The train was now going fast enough so that the colours all blurred together, so you couldn’t see what was going on outside properly. Just like my life had been. But I was hoping to change that now.
I couldn’t help but wish that the rain would stop. If I was going to spend the first night on my own homeless, I’d rather be dry than wet. The rain didn’t seem to hear my thoughts though, as it kept on hammering the window relentlessly. I put my forehead against the cold glass. Without realising it, I promptly slipped away from the world of bleak reality and into my dreams despite the rattling of the window pane against my head.
When I awoke, the rain had stopped, but not before it had coated everything in tiny pearls that gleamed. I smiled, and my unnerving dreams were pushed to the back of my mind. I didn’t want to dwell on it. Mum had been yelling at me in my dream, and it had felt so real. Like I really was back in that hell hole. I shivered despite my warmth. I never wanted to see my family again. Ever.
The train slowed down, almost gracefully. In a few minutes it had stopped completely. I grabbed my rucksack, which had all of my belongings in, and stepped off the train, ignoring the other jostling passengers.
I’d never realised just how beautiful the countryside was, especially now that everything seemed to glisten because of the rain.
I pulled the piece of paper out of my pocket and unfolded it. Folding things neatly into small squares was a habit of mine; I did it a lot when I was nervous.
23, Shelby Road. That was where I was heading. I had known that really, but I liked to double check. I looked up briefly, and saw that the clouds had disappeared and that the Sun was now enveloping everything it could in warmth.
Smiling to myself, I exited the train station and went to find my new home. Hopefully.

This was written whilst listening to "The King is Coming" by X-Ray Dog.

Thank you. xD *mind twin hi-5*

lorygirl said...
It's your mind-twin from mara! That was a great piece of your story. I'd love to read more of your (hopefully published) work someday!

Thank you!

Much appreciated xD

Hi :)

FreakOnTheWeb from mara here ;)

I really love part of your story!! It's really gripping. I do hope that you continue writing as I would love to read that little bit more!!

Good luck XD

xx