The Beating | Teen Ink

The Beating

By Squared30 BRONZE, Jonesport, Maine
Squared30 BRONZE, Jonesport, Maine

I unlocked the door, trying not to make any noise. Hopefully he wasn’t home. He always gets me when mom is at work. If she were home when it happened then she would do something about it but, he doesn’t do it when she’s there. I opened the door all the way to come eye to eye with the one person I didn’t want to see, he was home. I wasn’t going to let him get away with it this time, I took my phone with me to school without him knowing just in case this happened. I backed out of the door as fast as I could and Just ran, that’s the only thing that I could do, was run. I looked back and he was hot on my tail. He started to beat me maybe two months after him and my mom got together. It surprised me that she got together with him that quick because she still hadn’t been over my father’s death. He died last year when he was on his way back from work, a drunk had been driving that night when he shouldn’t have been, he never stopped like he was suppose to. My father had pulled started driving again when the light turned green but the drunk never hit the brakes, he just kept going. My father was in the hospital for three days, 4 and a half hours, and fifty two seconds. I don’t know why I kept count on how long he was there, I got bored, maybe?
I felt him grab my hair, but I kept going because I knew if he got me this time he would have never let me live. The most I could do was just suck it up and run, I bet he has a chunk of my hair left in his hand because he had such a tight grip. I got to the middle of the city and looked back, he wasn’t anywhere to be seen, was he gone? I hope so. Just as I was about to turn around I was pulled back into somebody with a object pressed to my neck, I knew it was him, it was obvious. I screamed, and screamed, and screamed but it seemed like nobody could hear me. He backed me up against a wall in an alley pressing the knife a little bit further into my neck making it sting, but only a little bit. A shadow caught my eye but I didn’t say anything. Maybe that person was here to help me, maybe he could get me out of this mess. The shadow was coming closer, he snuck up behind my step father, pushing him off of me. He grabbed my hand and dragged me away with him, I never got a good look at him. Hopefully he would take me to a place where I would be free, safe, and cared for like any kid should be cared for. I will miss my mom though, she was really the only good thing that happened to me. I have a brother here somewhere. He moved out of the small house we had with our parents when he turned 20. He stayed to help me with the whole beatings with my step father, but                                                                                                                                                                when my step father found out he stopped the beatings for a while. I was thankful for that, but when my brother moved out, my step-dad started hitting me again. I couldn’t stand it anymore, each day he would hit me harder.
I looked up, this person had taken me to a greyish colored house, it was just a little house with white shutters. It was warming, it wasn’t one of those houses you look at and you immediately don’t want to walk into it because it looks scary. He stopped right in front of the door, taking a key out of his pocket to unlock the door, after he was done he slowly opened the door for me and gestured for me to walk into the house. I walked into the house, waiting for him to come in and shut the door, I had no idea where I was going so I just stood there, looking as horrible as ever I would imagine. He slightly brushed past me, his hand just barely touched me and that was all it took for me to jump back. He looked at me like I was a mutant or something. He walked away, and I guess that I was suppose to follow him so that’s just what I did. We walked into what I am guessing was the living room, it was really nice, the walls were a cream color, the couch was a tanish brown, and the rug was a cream to match the walls. It was nice, he took a seat at one end of the couch, I wanted to keep my distance from him so I sat as close to the edge of the other end. Hopefully this doesn’t turn out the same way the last time I first met someone did.