Give Me A Reason | Teen Ink

Give Me A Reason

By KayMani BRONZE, New York, New York
KayMani BRONZE, New York, New York

"Innovation distinguishes between a leader and a follower." - Steve Jobs

They say cheaters never prosper. At birth Ella had cheated death. She wasn’t expected to live past 24 hours. Her little frail body shivered. Her cries were weak. Her lungs barely supported her. Ella Fitzgerald was a miracle child. Everyone she ever came across looked at her in awe. 15 years old and still soft and kind. She was tall but not to tall for a boy to love. Her hair was long, smooth, thick and black. Her eyes were grey and her lips were soft and pink. She was pale. Ella had nice curves on her body, she was somewhat busty but, she was conservative. That’s how a “Fitzgerald” girl looked. Her parents knew that somewhere along the line the “devil” would take their precious angel away.
The sun's brightness was intense as it peered through the fine large crystal glass windows of Ella’s room. Her room was quite large. As a matter of fact, every room in her Cali. home was large! She woke up to the sound of the maid preparing breakfast. The Fitzgerald’s didn’t address Milagros as a maid. They knew her struggles and have experienced her struggles themselves. They couldn’t have been happier supporting Milagros. The Fitzgeralds were humble and good hearted people. They weren’t always wealthy. Well, Ella’s mother , Elaina, wasn’t always wealthy. Elaina lived in the Bronx in Soundview projects with her mother. Her mother always implemented the idea of education and independency in her mind. Elaina met Chandler  Fitzgerald in college. He majored in business and she majored in law. They fell in love and got married and had been married for about 15 years.
Ella put on her robe, freshened up in her bathroom, and headed down the marble stairs for which she adored and loved walking on.
“Good morning sweetheart.” Milagros said as she set a plate full of food and a glass of orange juice in front of Ella.
“Good morning, Milagros. I was craving French toast and bacon all week! You know me so well. Thank you,” Ella said smiling. Milagros grinned and kissed Ella on the forehead and began cleaning. Elaina and Chandler  had met their daughter and Milagros down stairs. Milagros had set a plate in front of them.
“Good Morning,” they said simultaneously and giggled. Chandler began to chow down. Elaina looked at her daughter as always. She never knew when it would be the last time she would see her baby, especially since Ella was going to the Bronx to visit her grandmother like she did every year.
“How’d you sleep last night baby?” Elaina whispered.
“It was the best sleep I’ve had. How about you Mommy and Daddy?” Ella replied.
“Well I’d say we slept pretty darn good, isn’t that right love bug?” Chandler chuckled as he pursed his lips hinting a kiss from his wife. Elaina gave Chandler a kiss.
“That’s right. Are you looking forward to seeing grandma?” Elaina questioned.
Ella nodded her head, “Yes.”
“I always am. I love New York city. More than Cali. It’s so diverse and just…” Ella sighed with a smile on her face.
“Well, get ready, your flight leaves in four hours,” Elaina said.
Ella walked up the stairs and into her room. She pulled out her suitcase and packed a few clothes because she already had a wardrobe at her grandmother’s house. She grabbed her laptop , few chapter to read books , and a couple of “People” magazine's. Now that she was done packing she needed to decide what she was going to wear.
“Milaaaaagroooooos,” Ella called from her room.
“Just wear your maxi dress,, the bright orange one with your white sandals,” Milagros yelled back. Ella put on the outfit that was suggested to her. She took her suitcase and hugged Milagros goodbye. She got in the car with her mother and father as they headed to the airport.
The drive felt endless. Who knew that there were so many designer stores in L.A? Ella laid back in her seat and dozed off. She woke up to the sound of cars honking, people cursing , the smell of starbucks coffee and luggage rolling.
“This is L.A.X. for you baby! Wake up, doll!” Chandler cheered. Elaina couldn’t help but burst out in laughter. Ella rolled her eyes playfully with a grin and awaited for her father to escort her out the car.
“After you my lady,” he chuckled.
“Why thank you, father love,” Ella mocked with a southern accent. The three headed into the airport. Many stopped and stared. The Fitzgerald’s were well known. Too well known, as if they were celebrities.
“Flight 21 will take flight in 20 minutes. Passengers if you have not done so, please board on Flight 21.”
Ella rushed to her plane. She kissed her parents goodbye and got on  her flight.
“First class,” Ella said to the flight attendant as she made her way to her seat.
Ella sat down and got comfortable. Before the plane left her parents were trying to FaceTime her. She picked up the call.
“Mom I haven’t even arrived!” Ella exclaimed.
“I know but your father-”
“Your mother,” Chandler said cutting his wife off.
“We’re just so-”
“Your mother is just so.”
“Dammit, Chandler, will you hush?! Anyway sweetie we love you and we’re worried about you love. Crazy world out here you know that,” Elaina said.
“Mommy I’m fine okay? I love you both . Bye you two,” Ella said as she hung up and put her phone on Airplane mode. Ella felt so sleepy. She pushed back her chair back and threw her sweater over her head. The plane ride was long and dreadful. When am I going to get off this plane? she thought to herself. After 6 “wonderful” hours Ella finally arrived to New York. She wasted no time retrieving her luggage and meeting the driver. The car ride was more interesting than the one in L.A.There was much more colorful graffiti on the old brick buildings. Different cars and different types of people. Cab drivers getting into it with other drivers. Reckless teens almost getting hit by busses or cars. Ella took a deep breath in, I love New York.
It wasn’t until around eight-thirty in the night that Ella got to her grandmothers. Her Grandmother Luciana, was well respected within’ the community. She took care of the poor, the old, the sick. She was a saint. She was loved and greatly appreciated by many. However, at a ripe age of 65 , she was still able to whip ass when needed. Luciana known as Mama Luz, was known for keeping the troubled teens of the Bronx in check. Ella walked into the the project building. The lights in the corridor were dim and had a weird smell. The elevator was a mint green color but the inside wasn’t clean. The driver helped Ella take her luggage inside her grandmother’s home. Mama Luz’s house was gorgeous. It was similar to Ella’s house with the exception of the big windows and marble stairs.
“Ella, my love you’re getting big!” her grandmother shrieked while she extended her arms to her granddaughter.
“No grandma I think you’re getting smaller!” Ella laughed as she embraced her grandmother with a hug.
“My dear I’m so sorry to bother you , I was planning on going but I had to clean the house and all, would you mind picking up a few things from the grocery store for me? Mama Luz asked.
“Grandma it’s not a problem just write  me the list and I’ll be on my way.” Ella said cheerfully.
Mama Luz smiled and wrote down what she needed and handed the list to her. Ella headed out to the grocery store. It was getting really dark and Ella was tired so she took a shortcut. There were at least three guys in corner staring at her. Each wore a different sweaters: grey, black, and red.
“Yo where you from? What you reppin’?” The guy from the red sweater called.
Ella walked quicker her heart was beating so fast and heart to the point where it felt as if her heart was going to come out of her chest. The guys started to follow her and then one had grabbed her and pinned her against a wall.
“Why you ignoring us?” The guy in the read sweater asked as he stared hard into Ella’s eyes.
Ella trembled with fear. She felt as if she couldn’t breathe. She tried to say something but nothing came out. Then the guy in the black sweater swung on her. The other two jumped in, punching and stomping Ella while she cried and screamed for them to stop. Out of nowhere came 7 guys and they took the other three guys off of Ella and they fought the three that had jumped her. The three guys with the sweaters ran while the other guys looked at Ella. A somewhat tall,  dark skinned guy held his hand to Ella. She held his hand as he pulled her up. She looked in his eyes. She was mesmerized. It didn’t matter that her hair was messed up, her nose was bleeding, her lips were busted, or that her dress was ripped. It’s like everything stopped then and there. The two staring at each other without saying a word. She was observing him. He had to be a teen, he couldn’t be much older than 17.  His skin didn’t seem so dark, it was like caramel. He had a nice build but was still pudgy in some areas. His lips were big and it looked like he was growing a beard, barely noticeable. Finally he spoke up and said:
“Stay out of here, these pussy n**gas got no heart. They be flexing on anybody.. aigh? My name is Tony by the way. This My squad, Eric, Loso, Kenny,Meechi, John, and Ty.”
Ella paused for a moment. She didn’t know what to say.
“Thank you for helping me… you guys are so kind, I was just going to the supermarket but I guess not.” She said as she broke down.
Tony pulled her close and hugged her. The rest of the guys formed a group hug. They felt bad for Ella. She was gorgeous in their eyes. Like an angel that would guard them.
  “By the way my name is Ella…” She sobbed.
“Ella baby! Ella Ella Ella. under my umbr Ella Ella Ella. Ya name is nice.” Loso joked.
Ella laughed,  she and the guys walked and talked all the way to her grandmothers.
“Yo, pull up on the block tomorrow so we could chill and you could meet with the rest of the squad.” John said.
“Yeah you should . I’ll pick you up beautiful.” Tony whispered to Ella.
She smiled and hugged them all and thanked them again. Before she knocked on her grandmother's door and she watched them as they all left. Tony was the last to leave. He walked up to Ella and looked her dead in the eyes. There was that feeling of being lost again. He rubbed one of her arms bit his lip and leaned in for a kiss. Ella gave in and kissed him. Not long before they began to make out. Tony moved his hands to her hips and then grabbed Ella’s behind and pulled her closer and closer. She pulled away and blushed.
“Let me get ya number sexy…” He whispered in her ear. He pulled out his phone and handed it to Ella and patiently waited while she gave him her number. She gave his phone back he grinned and walked away.  Ella walked in her house and called for her grandmother. Her grandma came out from the room folding some of Ella’s clothes . She dropped everything and ran to her granddaughter.
“What happened to you my love? Are you okay? Frankie get over here get me the first aid-kit.! Ay dios , first Frankie and now you? Frankie hurry the f*** up!” Mama Luz began to ramble.
Mama Luz jumped up. Frankie came into the room and threw the kit at Mama Luz who began working on Ella’s face. Frankie and Ella caught each other’s eyes. Frankie was the guy in the red sweater who jumped her.
“What happened to you?” Mama Luz yelled.
Ella’s mind went blank. She could hear her grandmother’s voice but not the words.
Who is this kid and why is he here? Is all that ran through Ella’s head.
“Grandma who is this?” She questioned through Mama Luz’s rambling.
Mama Luz shoved Frankie onto the couch where Ella was sitting. Her eyes showed pure fear.  She  took a deep breath out and sat in a chair across from them.
“You two are related.” Mama Luz sighs.
Ella rose her eyebrows. She looked at Frankie who was looking at her. She then turned to Mama Luz who was staring elsewhere.
“Grandma, how are-” Ella began to say.
“Why you keep calling her Grandma she’s my mom.” Frankie exclaimed while he cut Ella off.
“Just shut up the both of you. Frankie when you were born your mother was 15 when she had you. She ain’t wanna take care of you. Your father who is my son, he….” Mama Luz exclaimed but started to cry. Ella’s heart sank. She hated to see her grandmother cry. Ella got up from the couch and went to comfort her grandmother. 
“He was a in a gang like you. Died from drug overdose when he was 19 and you were 3…” Mama Luz finished saying. She got up and went to her room and closed the door behind her. Ella stood flabbergasted. At that point she didn’t know what to say or do.
That night Ella went to her room. Her room in her grandmothers house wasn’t too big. It was nice and snug. The light pink painted walls gave her a soothing feeling. Her bed wasn’t as big but she didn’t care, she loved it. It was like going into a 5 year old girl’s dream room. Stickers and posters of unicorns, flowers, butterflies, and rainbows covered the room. Ella saw that her luggage was put away. She took a look in the mirror and touched a scar that Frankie had left on her face. Ella began to sob as she touched and observed every mark on her body the boys had left.Hot tears streamed down her cheeks and she couldn’t help wheezing. She turned off her phone and her light and went to bed. Sleep was all she needed . Sleep actually calmed her down. Ella began to let her mind wander again. She thought about blue skies, and white clouds while drifting in a river .She thought about the city rain that calmed her down even more. Her body was filled with goosebumps as she thought about the wonderful landscapes. As Ella was dozing off Frankie walked in to her room. Ella was scared . She shifted sideways on her left side.  She felt Frankie’s shadow above her.
“Ella, you’re so beautiful. If I have a daughter I want her to look like and act like you . You a kind girl. I didn’t mean to hurt you. I just got caught in my feelings. I wanna protect you now. You look like you’re all I got. When Ma- Grandma… Thats kinna weird having to say, Grandma. I been calling ha ma all my life. Back to what I was tryna say, when Grandma said my dad was in a gang and how he died an allat, s*** hit close to home. I wanna change. This life ain’t for me you heard? I always gotta watch my back and s***. Meaningless sex. I wanna live like you. I wanna change. But I don’t know how and when. I say this s*** all the time. I don’t wanna end up like my pops… Forgive me shawty…” Frankie sobbed in Ella’s ear. Ella began to cry.  She tried to stay as quiet as possible. It was very rare that she felt like this, it kind of felt like anger. Frankie kissed her cheek and left the room.
The next day Ella woke up and it was at least 1:30 in the afternoon . She turned on her phone and saw that her mother had left a voicemail. She forgot to keep her mother posted about whether she arrived. Ella listened to the voicemail.
“Hey my love…” Ella’s mother sounded like she was depressed.
“Your grandmother told me you came. We’re glad you're safe. Listen, your father has an important business meeting in Japan. I will be accompanying him, we don’t know when we’ll be back. Lets see, it’s july… We should be back around November. We will try to fly you out as soon as possible but it may take about a month or so. We love you,” her mother said. There was a quick pause and then it was over. Ella sighed. She didn’t know how she would feel about with being with Frankie. Ella looked in the mirror again. Her face was swollen and red. Her face was all bruised up. Frankie walked up behind her.
“I know you heard me last night…” he said softly. Ella ignored him and went into the bathroom and shut the door. She took off her clothes and began to take a shower. The cool water played a soothing rhythm as it hit her. She started to wash her hair. Usually she sings but,  this time she began to think. She thought about Tony. Oh how Tony was appealing to her. Tony was a mix of Trey Songz and Chris Brown in her eyes. She craved his lips, his touch, and his scent. Everything drove her crazy for him. She got out of the shower and turned it off. She grabbed her robe put it on and went to  her room.
Frankie was there, propped up on her bed with her phone in his hand. He seemed to have been going through her phone.
“What..  are.. you doing?” Ella stuttered. Frankie looked up and smiled.
“That’s what you sound like shawty? So soft spoken,” he teased. Ella rolled her eyes and reached for her phone . Frankie moved away quickly and stood with her phone.
“That Tony n**ga…I don’t want you talking to him.They ain’t no good for you. He ain’t no good for you. My squad and his squad we don’t bang,” Frankie demanded.
“Frankie, who are you to tell me who I can talk to. You’re not good for me, you wouldn’t know,” Ella said softly. Frankie got up and pressed Ella against the wall.
“F*** you mean? Because of you we gonna have a brawl,” Frankie yelled.
“Me? Frankie, you attacked me for no reason! And I will not have you fight them!” Ella exclaimed. She never actually yelled at someone so her voice couldn’t go any higher, she didn’t sound convincingly angry. Frankie nodded his head, walked away, attempted to swing at Ella, but held back, only wanting to make her flinch. And he did. And so Ella’s blood was boiling.
Ella had gotten ready. She wore a knee length skin tight black skirt defining her curves, a neon crop top that wasn’t too exposing, and her infared 11s jordans. She left her hair curly. She took one last look in the mirror and looked away because it only made her more upset at Frankie. Ella took her purse and made sure she had her phone.
“Ella where are you going?” Her grandmother yelled from the kitchen.
“To see some friends, I’ll be back,” Ella responded. Ella walked out the door and activated her Gps, in search for Tony and his friends.
It felt like a long walk, come to find out Siri made her take the long way. Tony was hanging out by the corner store with a big group. They were all socializing and smoking blunts. Tony saw Ella and departed from the group for a moment.
“I didn’t think you was coming...saw you dubbed my messages,” Tony chuckled.
“Turns out the boys who beat me up, yeah one of them is my cousin, he was going through my phone. I wanted to see you,” Ella rambled  softly, gazing into Tony’s eyes.
Tony grinned , looked away , held Ella’s hands and pulled her close. She blushed and couldn’t help but smile.
“Come meet the fam,” he whispered.
Ella and Tony walked side by side towards the group. Everyone greeted Ella warmly. There were girls who looked mean, but were kind. Since that day, Ella had been hanging with Tony and his - as he called his group, “squad.” Ella got along with Tony’s group, she occasionally gave them huge amounts of cash to buy weed or whatever they wanted, she went to a few parties but still remained soft and kind; she didn’t drink or smoke with them nor change her appearance or habits.  That’s what made Tony and his squad adore her more.
Towards the end of July, Ella and Frankie still had tension between each other, it angered Frankie the fact that Ella was still hanging out with “YLGE” (The name of Tony’s squad.) Ella ignored Frankie and every time she went to the bathroom she would lock her room door.  Frankie had been trying to stress to Ella to stop hanging out with them. It was his way or no way because he was just that stubborn and selfish. There were few times where Frankie had followed Ella to her whereabouts , trying to jot down information about “YLGE.”
In the beginning of August, Tony invited Ella to the lake nearby. The lake was enormous, it had a greenish like color. There was an area for people to walk on next to the lake. It was a hot day. Ella wore a faded color booty-shorts with sleeveless shirt that exposed her sides and bra. Ella took along time deciding on her shoes, hair , and make up. She put on her golden colored sandals embedded with real diamonds , decided to leave her hair out. Ella left her grandmother’s house and took the train to the lake. She was surprised to see Tony waiting for her with a real rose and a square box.
“Who’s that for, your girlfriend?” Ella teased.
“She’s not my girlfriend yet, ima see if she interested, you know what I’m sayin’?” Tony said. Ella became disappointed , she had to be realistic. What would a guy like Tony be doing with her? It was probably that girl Jazmin in YLGE. Ella stood quiet for the entire walk to the lake. As soon as they got to the lake, Tony pulled Ella close to him and kissed her upon her lips. She wanted to resist but, this guy is too attractive she thought to herself. Ella gave in, and made out with Tony. She loved how his lips pressed against hers and how his warm tongue would taunt hers. He dropped the rose and box and pressed Ella closer to him. Tony kissed Ella down her neck making her moan and wanting more. He stopped and bent down to pick up the rose and box he had dropped.
Ella hadn’t felt this way before. She never been touched by a boy the way Tony touched her, never been kissed the way Tony kissed her, and never had been groped the way Tony groped her.
“Ella you real beautiful. You intelligent. I gotta make you mines before someone else do. Feel me?” Tony said in a hushed tone in Ella’s ear. Ella’s heart dropped for a moment.
“You’re talking about sex aren’t you?” Ella questioned sounding disappointed, as if she had been through it before. Tony looked insulted by Ella’s question.
“No, we ain’t ready foa that Ma. I mean like, will you be my girlfriend?” He murmured.
A smile instantly appeared on Ella’s face, her heart was racing, tears were beginning to run down her face.
“Yes, I will be your girlfriend,” She breathed. It was official, Tony and Ella were now a couple.
Two weeks passed and it had been great for Tony and Ella. Tony took Ella out to eat at wonderful restaurants every other day. They went to the park occasionally. Frankie knew about these dates. He was secretly plotting on Tony and his squad.
It was late august, Tony and Ella went out on a date to the movies. They watched a romantic movie and Tony payed for all expenses. Every night they went out, Ella began to notice a change in Tony. He was such a gentleman, he stopped getting into fights, and he obeyed his probation officer. That night, when the movie was over, Tony walked Ella home. The air was cool, the sky was a purple like color, and the trees were still. While on their way home, Ella felt as if someone was watching her. She looked over her shoulder multiple times which worried Tony a bit. They took the long way to Ella’s grandmother house. Tony fell down out of nowhere. Ella turned around to see that it was Frankie who hit Tony in the back of the head with a gun. Frankie was with his group.
“SQUAD.” Tony yelled while holding the back of his head.
In an instant all of Tony’s friends came running out buildings and from across the street. Frankie gave warning shots. They slowed their pace but still needed to have Tony’s back.
“Frankie, leave us alone! Put that gun away!” Ella demanded in a stern voice.
Frankie laughed and waved the gun around. He then got angry.
“You stupid b**** I told you not to hang with these n**gas!” He screamed
“Why should I listen to you? You’re a no good lying filthy bastard who’s bound to end up like your father! So tell me why should I obey a worthless son of a b**** like you? Tell me Frankie! Why?!” Ella blurted out not realizing what she said until Frankie started to cry.
“Frankie… I’m so sorry…” Ella whispered. Everyone stood dead silent, including Tony who was regrouped with his squad. It was like no one had existed in that moment but Frankie and Ella. Frankie tried to hold back his tears but they just kept pouring out. They weren’t sad tears, they were tears of frustration.
“You think you’re so perfect because your moms and pops is still together and y’all rich?” Frankie snickered.
“No Frankie I didn’t mean it like that…” Ella spoke softly.
“Shut the f*** up!” Frankie scolded.
“Aye, don’t talk to my girl like that,” Tony argued
“Say some s*** again and I’ll blow ya fucking brains out,” Frankie laughed pointing the gun to Tony.
“You insane n**ga, there ain’t no bullets in there,” Tony snorted.
“Oh really?” Frankie said sarcastically as he loaded the gun.
“Bro chill…” One of Frankie’s friends said sounding worried.
Everyone was scared at that point. They didn’t know what had gotten into Frankie.
“Just put the gun down Frankie…” Ella pleaded.
“F*** you,” Frankie scoffed he raised the gun to Ella and fired three shots. Ella hit the ground hard. Everyone gasped and ran to her except for Frankie who did not realize what he had done until he saw blood running out of Ella’s chest, leg and stomach.
“Somebody call 911,” Ty yelled. Ella groaned softly in pain. Her life was beginning to flash before her very eyes. She tried to speak but she couldn’t. Blood kept coming out of her mouth, she felt like she was choking on her own blood. Ella felt the bullets piercing from vein to vein to tissue and what not. She took deep breaths and cried begging for someone to help her. Tony kneeled down to Ella and leveled her on her back in his arms. He applied pressure to her chest.
“Come on princess, you gotta live foa me baby,” he whispered sobbing.
“Tony… I…”  Ella began to say, but she couldn’t finish because she passed out.
The EMT arrived and began to work on her as they rushed her to the hospital.  Both gangs were at the hospital all nervous. This was a strange time for all of them. It was like the possibility of Ella dying brought them together. They all cried and prayed together. It didn’t matter what kind of problems they had with one another - all that mattered was if Ella survived or not.
Frankie stood in a corner of the waiting room all by himself. The f*** did I do? he thought to himself. He paced back and forth in front of the receptionist desk. Finally after hours of waiting, the doctor came into the waiting room with a blank expression on his face. Everyone jumped up and started bombarding the doctor with questions.
“She good?” One person asked.
“She alive right?” Another person asked. The doctor waited until everyone hushed.
“She lost a lot of blood and is in critical condition. Who is related to her?” The doctor stated. Everyone looked at Frankie who was looking down at the ground.
"Me..." Frankie muttered
"Would you be willing to donate blood? It's always better from a relative." The doctor asked sounding desperate.
"Yeah." Frankie said reluctantly.
A nurse took Frankie to the back in one of the rooms, drew blood from Frankie, and told him to wait while she tested it. The lights in the emergency room were bright. It smelled of alcohol patches and rubber. Frankie looked at the time nervously and kept rolling over the hospital bed. The nurse came back in what felt like hours. She had a disappointed look on her face.
"She died?!" Frankie cried out.
"No... But you're going to if you don't take this seriously." The nurse said.
"F*** you mean?" Frankie questioned.
"Frankie, you have HIV... Stage 3." She spoke softly.
Frankie had lost his mind . He went on a rampage , tearing the room apart, throwing chairs around, breaking cabinets, flipping medical supplies over. Two security guards got ahold of Frankie while he screamed in agony and frustration . Frankie yelled as if his limbs were being torn apart .
"I don't wanna die!" He screamed repeatedly .
The nurse seduced Frankie.
Ella who was in the room across from Frankie heard it all. Tears rolled down the side of her face . She felt as if everything was her fault. That she shouldn't have came in the first place. Momentarily the doctor came into the room escorting Tony in.
"Don't be here long . She needs to rest ." The doctor stated as he quietly left the room.
Tony walked up to the bed where Ella was. She looked so weak, like the way she did at birth.
"T-t-Tony?" Ella asked in a daze.
"Yeah baby girl it's me." He answered sounding alarmed.
"Tony I love you... And I can't go on.. But promise me you'll leave . Leave the streets. Okay? Do better with your life Tony. Promise me!" Ella breathed  sounding out of breath.
"Nah you can't leave.!" Tony shouted.
"Baby boy. Don't fret. You love me ?" Ella questioned sounding faint.
"Of course. " Tony snapped.
"Tony it hurts being here... I don't wanna live another day if I have to suffer . I wanna be in peace . Be with The Lord . Let my soul rest Tony. Let me rest in peace . Tony I love you.. And my family .. And squad .. I have to go... God is calling.. Promise me you'll change for good?" Ella cried.
Tony was trembling with fear . He couldn't let Ella slip through his fingers . He did love her but he just couldn't abide to her words. After seeing Ella blink slower and slower he finally said; "Save me a spot I love you."
Ella smiled one last time closed her eyes sunk back into the bed and died.  The monitor went flatline. She looked so peaceful and glowing. Tony started to bawl. Few doctors came in who appeared to be disheartened.
“Don’t touch her, we’re ruling this as a homicide.” The doctor demanded in a stern cold voice. They covered her body and all left the room. Tony walked into the waiting room. Everyone from both squads stood up immediately looking eager. Tony’s face, tears, and runny nose said it all.
It was the end of August and yet it was the coldest depressing day. Not for the fact that summer was ending and that school was starting. It was the day when Ella’s Funeral was held, in the Bronx. It took awhile for Mr. and Mrs. Fitzgerald to agree to burying her in the Bronx but, everyone begged them for her to rest in the Bronx because they couldn’t afford flights to Los Angeles, California. The skies were grey, the air was cold, it seemed as if it was about to rain. Tony and his two “bros” Ty and Loso held one side of Ella’s gold casket embedded with crystals with pink roses on the top. Ella’s Father and Frankie’s two “bros” Charlie and Roman held the other side and they walked to Ella’s burial site. All of Ella’s family and both squads were at the funeral. Everyone watched as the crane lifted and then lowered the casket into the ground.
“We are all here today to remember the short life of Ella Fitzgerald who reminded us all that no good deed goes unpunished! Now for all you little gang members out here, you need to stop! A life lost over what? Is this worth it? The streets don’t love you. These streets they take you from your parents, they raise you , and the bring you back to your family in a casket. You have to change. All of you. Ella was a sweet innocent girl who loved everyone and she held no grudges. She apologized to people even if they were wrong. And now here she is, resting so soon. Thank god she lived life though, yes she lived indeed and that is what she would want. Does anyone have anything to say?” The pastor cried.
Those words struck everyone like a ton of bricks. Everyone was so depressed and mourning. Ella’s mother was distraught. The people at the cemetery began to bury Ella’s casket. Ella’s mother ran to the casket screaming at the workers. “Don’t take away my baby. My baby is alive. Please!” Chandler grabbed his wife and held her close to his chest and while she cried loudly in pain. A mother’s cry is the worse thing you can hear at a funeral and that is the sound that pierced through everyone’s soul. The rain began to pour and thunder was crackling. No one moved. They all looked at Ella’s grave and grieved. Life was too short and no one really knew how’d they end up.
From that day on YGLES stopped hanging in the streets and so did Frankie’s crew. They’ve all changed and were on the verge of becoming successful. Frankie was in prison and was sentenced to 25 years in prison. That was life for them and boy was it a b**** and yet they’ve pulled through.

This piece was for my "Inspiration To Write" class and the assignemnt was to create a cautionary tale. Everyone in my grade was either go to make their tale revolve around love or teen pregnancy. I was going to revolve mine around love but I needed to think about how will I take my story to the next level.  I hope that young people will realize that violence is never the key and that we can  make a change together to avoid wrongful deaths.