Unconventonally Beautiful | Teen Ink

Unconventonally Beautiful

By SimplyKate GOLD, Keller, Tx, Texas
SimplyKate GOLD, Keller, Tx, Texas

"What a treacherous thing, to believe a person is more than a person."

She remembered it. The day her pain almost seemed to disappear. The day his importance to her began to waver, the day she knew she'd be alright. She saw a new face, and he was beautiful. Well, he had his flaws. His hair was on the long side, he had this humor that didn't care if it hurt anyone, and he wore the same ratty red hoodie everyday. But that was okay to her. He wasn't beautiful like the models in the magazines, he was unconventionally beautiful. Like Peter Quill or Sherlock Holmes. He wasn't perfect, but he was. That was the day that they began to talk and 'That Guy' began to disappear.

Each time she thought of him, thought he was beautiful, she would smile. She laughed once as she thought of his reaction if she told him that. He'd probably laugh, stating that boys weren't supposed to be beautiful. He'd make a joke, but he knew deep down that he'd appreciate it.

She remembered how he practically saved her from talking to a demon. The girl had tried talking to her for a while now, trying to make up for lost time. Having a hard time cutting people out of her life, she didn't say anything, but let the girl talk. He walked up and cut into the conversation, having heard the horrors that the girl could cause, not wanting it to harm her. She laughed at what he said, but the other girl left. She thanked him and he said 'you're welcome'. It was little, but it let her know someone cared. A feeling that she long ago accepted to be gone for good.

This was inspired by a boy and the book Perks of Being a Wallflower that brought up the term of being 'unconventionally beautiful'.