chapter 9 | Teen Ink

chapter 9

December 18, 2014
By TaylorLee5555 SILVER, Ormond Beach, Florida
TaylorLee5555 SILVER, Ormond Beach, Florida
9 articles 0 photos 0 comments

            Going through my mother’s scrap book full of pictures of my brother and me when we were younger, one particular picture caught my attention. It was taken at about mid-day in the middle of the street in my neighborhood, and my brother, grinning like the 8 year old he was, was sitting in his brand new go-kart. Upset that I wasn’t the one driving it, I am leaning against the side of the kart in an old Maverick’s jersey that looked about two sizes too big, a pair of cargo shorts, and a hand me down pair of Jordan’s. The attire wasn’t out of necessity, I had plenty of pink tank tops, and white shorts that I am sure my mother would have loved for me to don. But like many other aspects of life, I did what my brother did. He worn Jordan’s, I wore Jordan’s. He liked the Mavs, I liked the Mavs. I’m still not really sure when or why I made the decision to emulate his every move, but that’s one decision that I do not regret. He set the bar very high, getting straight A’s in school and excelling as a catcher for his travel ball team. It wasn’t that I blindly followed him, as a sheep follows its herd, I knew what he did and I made the decision that I wanted to do it too. Most of the time, I was trying to do it better. Having an older brother is one of the things I am most thankful for, had I not had a constant competitor I would have never risen to my full potential nor would have even half of the passion and love that I do for sports and athletics in general.
 


The author's comments:

i like it