Time in a Life | Teen Ink

Time in a Life

By Poppy11 SILVER, Granville, Ohio
Poppy11 SILVER, Granville, Ohio

"I love failing because it gives me and idea of how far I need to go" -Mark Fischbach

I was aging agains the clear, sapphire, blue sky. I tried to fight the burn, the green, but I couldn't. The green spots covered me like flies over a dead carcass.

I have lived a good life. When I was much, much younger, a young dwarfling, human children used to climb between my many branches enjoying the summer sun as they sat. Summer became autumn, and autumn became winter. I lost all of my beautiful green fingers for only brown arms. Winter became spring and with it came new leaves. Summer came once again. I have lived a beautiful life.

I grew next to my friend, old sap, and I grew above my greeny friends beneath me. Summers went by again and again until i lost count, but only a few years back, I lost everything to my disease.

Green spread from my big toe to my left ear. Great, big, moldy spots plagued me as children ran away from fear of the green monster. I was alone for so many years. I had decided then that it was my time. I said good-bye to everything I loved, and started to wait. I waited for something to chop me down, to trim me, to eat me. Nothing ever did come to harm me. Instead, a child came towards me with a watering can in hand. She whispered sweet words to me as she nurtured me back into health. She raised me back into my new, yet old beauty that I was known for. Now children were able to climb between my fingers, and up, onto my head. They no longer needed to fear me. Summers came and went, and cmae back again. I am living a beautiful life.

When I looked at a moss covered tree one day in class, I came up with a story about how that tree would feel like.