Chakwaina Nightlights | Teen Ink

Chakwaina Nightlights

By Nacyvh21 BRONZE, Wilton, New Hampshire
Nacyvh21 BRONZE, Wilton, New Hampshire

As Kateri held her mother's hand, the two gazed up into the stars that lit up their Earth every night. They tried to find the brightest one up there. Kateri pointed one out, then her mother saw a new one twinkle just to the left of Kateri's. Kateri's mother, Maji, was the group's healer, care taker, and wise elder of the Kantook tribe. Sadly, Maji came down with a severe illness and was preparing her daughter to take her place after she passed on. Maji estimated that she only had a few more days left before she will become the next brightest star in the sky.

The next morning, a young child in the group woke up his mother and complained to her that the ground was wet again. His mother thought about how to explain to her son why the ground was always damp inthe morning. She knelt down and said, "You know the little bright dots in the sky at nightT' He nodded . "Well, they're sad. They're sad because they used to be like us, on land and they miss the ground and everything on it. So, they cry. Their tears dampen the ground when we sleep." The young boy didn't completely understand what his mother told him. "Don't worry...,, she said, "you'll understand when you get older."The Kantook tribe believed that once their people have passed on to their life up in the night sky, they cry because they missed their life on earth.

A few days passed and Maji was down to her last hour oflife with her people. Kateri was right by her mother's side holding her hand. Itwas getting close to dark and the stars were just beginning to shine. Maji told her daughter how great of a leader she'll be and to not fear anything because she will only be just a few light-years away watching over her. Kateri's eyes swelled up. She fought back the tears as she listened to her mother speak. "I'm ready." Maji whispered. "I will let the night take me." Maji closed her eyes. Kateri had tightly clenched her's
as the salty water poured from them. The tribe surrounded their beloved leader and let their
heads hang below their shoulders as Maji set off on her journey to the sky. They left by her side
a blanket, some water, and a slice of venison (her favorite meat), to ensure a safe trip to the dark purple sea of spirits above.

The Kantook people lifted their heads to the sky as Kateri led them in a prayer to help Maji get to her new home and to thank her for the light she will provide to them when the Sun goes down. After the prayer, they stood in silence waiting for the next brightest star. A few minutes later, one of the members of the tribe shot their arm up and pointed, shouting, "Look! Look! It's Maji!"Everyone's eyes lit up as they jumped and danced around expressing their relief and joy that Maji made it to the sky. Maji's star twinkled every night for her Kantook tribe from then on.

Sharkbait SILVER, Grant Park, Illinois

"Despite everything, I believe that people are really good at heart."
-Anne Frank

Aww, I love it! Congratulations on a story well worth reading!