Simple Gesture, Big Effect | Teen Ink

Simple Gesture, Big Effect

By labell727 BRONZE, Sinking Spring, Pennsylvania
labell727 BRONZE, Sinking Spring, Pennsylvania

stand aside worthy adversary

Meryl is the new girl this year. She had a best friend named Calan in North Carolina. They've been great friends until Meryl's father switched jobs. Because of his work location she had to move to a small town in Pennsylvania called Levittown. Meryl doesn't have any friends in Levittown and she didn't for many weeks. It's about time she start making some. Meryl finished brushing her long brown hair and forced a smile on her face.
"Another day, another bother," she laughed to herself then picked up her back pack.
"I'm off to school!"
Her dad turned around and grinned.  "Have fun... and Meryl, why don't you talk to some people in your class. You should make some friends, alright?"
She turned around and mumbled "Alright, only because you're asking me to."
She skipped out the door in her yellow rain-boots and walked to school, being sure to splash in every puddle on the way. Meryl is tall and gorgeous although she doesn't think she is. She is thin and fit, from running cross country at her old school. With her left hand she pulled open the door to Levi High. When she was heading to her first period class the popular crew walked by. Meryl stared at the floor and saw them approaching closer. Amanda, the most popular of them all stuck out her foot. Down went Meryl and all of her books.
"Watch where you're going," Amanda snarled. She was used to this by now and she would never fit in. Meryl kneeled down and picked up her books and papers one by one when she saw a boy approaching. She didn't look at him; she continued to pick up her belongings. The boy kneeled besides her, picking up scattered books and papers. He then stood up and helped her up. He handed her the papers with a smile. \
"Hello," He said in a calm voice. Meryl wasn't too good with talking to people so she smiled and mumbled a hello. He then slowly turned around and walked away. She stood still for a second and thought about what just happened. The rest of the day was a blur.
That night Meryl put down her book and sat wondering about the boy. "Why would he want to talk to me," She thought. No one has been this nice to her since she moved to Levittown.
The next morning she picked up her back pack and stood by the door.
"See you later Dad."
"Alright be careful, make friends, have fun. Try to do at least one of those!"
And she did. Meryl smiled and waved to her dad as she walked out the door with a hop in her step. Today she felt a little more confident. When she got to school she opened the doors and headed to period one. She walked away from the heard of popular people and headed to a boy, "the boy". He was standing by himself brushing dirt off of his Pokémon shirt.
"Hello," Meryl bravely said to him.
"Hi," he grinned.
"I like your shirt."
"My shirt? Oh, really? Thanks."
"Well I just wanted to say "thank you" to you for helping me yesterday," she said shyly.
"No problem! Hey, what's your name?"
"Meryl. Yours?"
"Michael."
Meryl smiled at the name.
"Well, I'm gonna go to class now."
She began to turn when he spoke.
"C-Can I walk you to class?"
"Of course! I mean, yes"
Michael laughed and they headed to her class together. That night Meryl went home and told her dad all about her new friend Michael. As months went by they remained great friends and the populars faded away. Meryl realized how far a simple gesture can bring you, and she still lives by that.