You Never Know What Might Happen | Teen Ink

You Never Know What Might Happen

By Tyshawn GOLD, New Jersey, New Jersey
Tyshawn GOLD, New Jersey, New Jersey

"No passion so effectually robs the mind of all its power of acting and reasoning as fear."
-Edmund Burke

High on top a mountain overlooking a majestic city, dwelled a multitude of gods. These gods watched over a world filled with light, and sunshine. Populating this world were interesting humans who work, played, and unfortunately sometimes acted unjustly. The gods were usually patient gods who were more than happy to keep the peace between those who dwelled in earth and those who resided above them. Unfortunately, a particular human, Cleon, offended the gods. In his desire to be well-known and famous he dared to be god-like. This angered the gods. It was so important that humans knew their place and role in society. Cleon forgot this important lesson.
  Odis, an extremely powerful god, saw this disrespectful behavior and blatant injustice. He was angered by the fact that nothing was being done to actually rectify the problem.  Odis was the god of envy and greed and didn't want to share his "delightful" attributes with anyone, especially a human. He contemplated for years on how to most appropriately punish Cleon and those who chose to follow him. Many a years had passed, and Odis continued to grow angry at what he considered to be total disrespect. Someone had to put an end to this human injustice. Odis was growing weary and confronted s superior god, Zeus. Odis explained the situation. Zeus ruefully rejected Odis. Many years continued to pass and Odis's anger and envy began to grow. He decide to take away the one thing the humans revered, there precious light. Odis thought if Cleon couldn't see the effects of his actions, the problem would be solved.  Odis used all the power afforded him and took away all the light in the entire land of the humans. The land was left in darkness.  From that day forward, chaos and panic raged among Cleon and the other humans. Their idyllic little world has seemingly vanished. Odis, although a very powerful god, was beginning to realize that his anger, greed and envy were dangerous characteristics. Above all they were now angering Zeus who was utterly confused and perturbed by the chaos surrounding his utopia. Odis, realizing the havoc he so disturbingly caused, knew he must flee. Zeus searched for Odis for some time with no results. Zeus’ world continued to perish in the bleak darkness. In the midst of the turbulence, Odis timidly went back to the hill top and met with Zeus. Zeus, angered and disgusted, quickly struck him with a violent blow nearly killing him. Zeus demanded he put the world back into its originally state of equanimity.     Odis of naturally refused. He exclaimed that Cleon should have been dealt with swiftly because he was ruining the balance of the world. The power of envy and greed belonged to Odis alone, but somehow Cleon had it as well. Odis continued to argue with Zeus concerning this matter. Zeus was not impressed. True, it was wrong for the humans who dwelt in the valley to try to be god-like; however, in Zeus’ opinion, Cleon was not full of hubris. Yes, he, at times, was a very angry and envious person, but he was able to keep those characteristics in check. Zeus had no other choice but to kill Odis for his blatant disobedience.      Zeus attempted for centuries to restore his world of glory and light. Sorrowfully, even Zeus, King of the Gods, was unable to bring light to his people. One day Odis's spirit returned and confronted. Odis bargained with Zeus explaining that he would rescind the curse if he were allowed to release anger, greed and all negative virtues into the world as he once had done. Zeus reluctantly agreed feeling pity upon humans. Odis, being the conniving god he was, did not live up to his part of the bargain completely. He only lifted the curse partially. A part of the day was filled with light, and sunshine. The other half of the day, however, was still subject to the darkness. Zeus, although furious, relented to this compromise.

It's a creation myth about how humanity has light and darkness.