Stop! | Teen Ink

Stop! MAG

"Stop!" said the voice in the mind of every human being, simultaneously, all across the world. And stop they did. Noisy restaurants were now hushed in silence, as people ceased their talking. Busy highways filled with vehicles rushing from one place to another were now suddenly still as the traffic slowed, then halted in obedience to the voice. Babies quit crying. Factories, the very engines of industry, ground to a halt. Somewhere in the Middle East rioters were hurling curses and blunt objects at a band of police armed with semi-automatics and riot clubs. Both parties froze. One young man dropped a rock in mid-throw, as both the police and the rioters followed the dictates of that inner voice. Two country leaders stopped mid-signature on a peace treaty. Two political candidates hushed mid-sentence at a presidential debate. A mugger lowered the hand holding the switchblade, and his intended victim, a woman who, moments ago, had been screaming hysterically, was now silent, her fear forgotten. Somewhere in the deep jungle, two warring tribes dropped their spears. A doctor paused mid-surgery.

The world was engulfed in silence, broken only by the sounds made by oblivious animals. For one moment all of humanity held its breath, waiting for the inner voice to continue, to finish its statement. And, after a moment, it did.

"You're doing everything all wrong," the voice completed.

"Oh," said humanity, and continued what they had been doing. 1

i love this !

SilverLuna SILVER, _________, Washington

"Come fairies take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.".... W.B. Yeats.
"Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams

Wow, I love this message of this! It's fantasitc how you took us all over the world in such a short time and then revealed, that oh, whether we knew it or not, would we even listen? Great piece, keep writing!

amyscarlett BRONZE, Santa Monica, California

Exit smiling. - From Catch 22

I really love this. Funny, sad and kind of true, and the way you executed it was so perfect. This is definitely one of my favorite pieces on this site. 

Imaginedangerous PLATINUM, Riverton, Utah
How true... people in general can tend to be a little apathetic.

CLC93 said...
This is really great. I especially like your ending, it's creative. Very thought-provoking.