Spirit Forest | Teen Ink

Spirit Forest

January 5, 2009
By Anonymous

In the middle of the Spirit Forest there lived a family of four. There was a mom (Clair), Dad (Joe), a brother (Billy), and a sister (Lori). They never got bothered by any spirits or animals. When they ran out of food, Joe and Billy would go out and hunt for rabbits and squirrels.

Joe and Billy just got back from their hunting trip, and they got nine rabbits. Clair saw that they looked really sad, so she asked, “What is wrong?”
They said, “Something bad has happened”.
Clair asked, “What? Tell me.”

Joe and Billy made her promise not to tell Lori. She was fine with it, so they began to tell the story:

Well, the first day Billy and I went out we were looking around this tree, and I heard a noise in the bush. Billy ran over to it and caught what was moving in the bush with his net. He pulled it out and saw that it was this strange little person. It had razor sharp teeth, red angry eyes, and long sharp claws that would slit your throat like a knife cutting butter. After he had pulled it out, a whole army of them appeared. They started to surround us and were threatening to kill us. Then the one that looked like the chief shouted, “stop”. He asked, “What are you doing out here?”
Billy said, “Hunting rabbits for my sister, mother, father, and I”.
He asked, “How many rabbits do you have”. I told them we had four.
He said, “If you can get up to ten or more rabbits we won’t do anything to you and your family, but if you don’t by 9:30 a.m. the next morning, we will go and get your daughter and make her our slave for the rest of her life”. We agreed and started right away.

We started catching rabbits pretty fast like maybe a rabbit every couple of hours. We were on the last two, when we checked the time. It was 8:00 A.M. We figured it would take us an hour to get to the bush were the tiny creatures were so we started to head back but were still looking for rabbits. It was 9:00 A.M. and we were just about to go to just stop looking and call it quits. Just then we saw two rabbits sitting there. So we snuck up behind them very quietly. When we thought we were close enough I threw the net toward them. It caught one of the rabbits but the other one started running to escape from us. So I started to chase after it and Billy took care of the other one. I ran as fast as I could and I could see where it was going. So I took a shortcut and there it was right in front of me. I jumped and I landed on it, but I didn’t grab its mouth in time. It bit me right in the leg and it ran away. I walked back to Billy and he was surrounded by the little people. The chief looked at me and I knew he wanted me to say if I got that rabbit. So I said, “I didn’t get the rabbit. I got really close though, it was right in my hands.”
The chief said, “That doesn’t matter now, does it? So go home and we will come to get your daughter later.” So we went home and now we’re talking to you.

“Man, that’s horrible, what are we going to do?” asked Clair.
“Should we set a trap?” asked Billy.
“Yeah, that sounds like a good idea,” said Joe.

They started to think of ideas. The first one they thought of was to set a whole bunch of money over a hole, but they didn’t have the cash to do that so they decided not to do that. Then they decided to set nets over Lori’s window and the front door so if they opened either of them they would get caught. They got to work right away to find the materials. Joe went to get two good size nets in the shed and Billy went to get two long ropes to hold up the nets. They set them up and they tested them so they would work perfectly. Clair set up the fire pit so they could burn the evil little people and she put a gallon of gasoline and a torch next to the burn pile. When they finished it was around 7:00 P.M., so they sat and talked to each other in the living room. Lori wanted to know what they were doing to her room so she asked. “Mom, Dad what were you guys doing.”
“Well, Lori we were just making improvements to your room,” said Joe.
Lori didn’t believe it but she just agreed anyway because she knew she couldn’t get it out of them. Two hours went by and they went to bed in their rooms. At 10:00 Joe and Clair heard screeching noises. They waited until they heard the nets go down. For some reason Joe and Clair smelled smoke and just then they heard the nets go down. So they checked Lori’s room and she was gone and the net was down, but not one of the creatures where in it. They went down stairs and there was fire everywhere. They ran up to get Billy and he was gone too. The fire was too big to get out, so Joe and Clair were trapped. They ran around all throughout the house looking for a way out. Their time was running out and the smoke was getting to thick for them to do any more. So they just went into the bathroom that didn’t have much smoke in it. Within thirty minutes the whole house was burnt down into black ashes so they died. Lori and Billy were crying in a cage surrounded by the little people. No one lived happily ever after.