Stronger Than Ever before | Teen Ink

Stronger Than Ever before

November 17, 2014
By kellBellz SILVER, Winona, Minnesota
kellBellz SILVER, Winona, Minnesota
7 articles 1 photo 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"The only person you hold try and be better than is the person you were yesterday"


It was common for Finleigh to miss the bus, so she usually would walk. Even if she didn’t want to go to school, she tried to make a change in the world. She dared to be different and she tried her best to find where her place was, no matter how her school treated her.
Finleigh entered school, halls were crowded and people stared at her. As she walked through the crowd of people, with her head down and ashamed to not blend in, to her locker. She came across three girls that were called the Popular Ones. They wore the best clothes, they would start the fashion trend of the school and everyone would acknowledge them. If people didn’t say anything, they would be made fun of. These girls were on the cheerleading squad, dated the football players and were rude.
Every day after school, Finleigh went home and cried. She didn’t tell anybody, she had no friends and her parents weren’t a big part of her life, they were always at work to keep a roof over all their heads. She struggled with a lot and tried her best to be independent, she had to be. She told herself that she needs to do her best and keep a smile on her face, even to fake a laugh when necessary. She kept pretending all was good and even though nothing was. Nobody noticed her breaking or that she was struggling. The only way her appearance was acknowledged was by people staring and laughing at her. Each time it happened, she broke a little bit more, but didn’t try to show it and said nothing. 
It was in the middle of the night, she couldn’t fall asleep. She kept her words to herself and poured them out on paper. She began to write a letter, starting off with how she felt invisible to the world. She wanted to be done. Done with the hurt, done with the pain. Sick of never being happy, she wanted to leave, to disappear, for good. She had nobody to talk to and nobody to reach out to. Finleigh always listened to music and that was her one way of coping; nobody was there to help her, and she only thought of one way out.
She walked to her room and played music just another time, an unusual song, one she never put on her playlist. She listened to it, and she began to get this feeling inside, she wasn’t sure what it was at first. Finleigh played the music a little louder, and then, she found something within herself. A feeling she couldn’t recognize, but she called it strength. God was there and wanted her to hear that song, it was not her time to leave this world. Her purpose on earth was yet to be done.
All her life, she never had a friendship, a relationship, or even a family member who talked with her. She really had nobody, she didn’t seek counseling either. Besides, she never even knew how she could, or how to, so it wasn’t an option to her!
The next morning, she wanted to try school one more time, if it was to fail, then she would give up, for good. She did her hair, and put a little make up on. She wore a new outfit that she got the day before, and wore her new boots that she never wore. She felt pretty for once. Before she left for school, she took a moment and prayed to God. On her way out, on the kitchen table was a note from her mom “Good morning, honey! Have a good day at school, there is a lunch in the fridge and $5 for a vending snack. I love you!” She went to the fridge and grabbed her lunch, and went on her way to the bus.
She had this happy feeling, she smiled for the first time in forever. When she arrived at her high school, she saw the “popular girls” She walked up the school stairs, over hearing the girls talk about her. She ignored them and made her way to her locker.
The halls were near empty, she went to the bathroom to check herself out before the day began. She touched up her make up and as she was putting it back in her bag, the girls walked in. Poor Finleigh froze. She didn’t know what to say and was too scared to say anything anyway. They laughed and made fun of her, they made comments about how ugly she is and how her makeup looked like a two year old drew all over her face. They mentioned how her hair looked like it hadn’t been brushed in years.
She ran out of the bathroom, into the hall again, where people packed to see what was going on, she froze and scanned, and saw people she couldn’t recognize. Someone pushed her out of their way comeing out from the bathroom, and went down the hall. Finleigh sighed, irritated from the disrespect. She walked toward her locker, but got distracted and read a quote from the bible that hung on the bulletin board.
When she got to her locker, she opened it and a note fell out. It read, Finleigh in big letters. She looked at it, confused. Opened it, read the note. It read, “You are beautiful, you are strong, you are courageous, you have faith” She looked around to see if anyone was watching her, nothing, she saw nobody. She made her way out of the door and questions running through her head. Who wrote that? Where did it come from? I didn’t know anyone knew me, or my name? How did anyone know where my locker was? Finleigh was confused, nobody knew but her. She made her way back home, when she was close she saw a police man’s car parked in front of her house. The Police Officer called her over, she walked up and he asked her, “Is this this the Khloe house?”
“Yeah”, Finleigh said.
“What is your name?”
“Finleigh...”
“Do you live here?”
“Yes, with my mom and Dad.”
She knew better than to question a man with  badge, but she really wanted to know why.
“ I am sorry to tell you this but, the woman by the name, Alexia Khloe had been in a car crash this morning… she didn’t make it, I am sorry for your loss”
Finleigh look at him with disbelief, she had a weak feeling in her body, she fell to her knees.
“That is my mom” Finleigh replied.
The officer apologized for her loss again and if she has any other questions to stop by the department and they will take her where she needs to go.
She spent the rest of the day in her room. After sitting there staring at the wall, she got up to get her book to write, opening the drawer where it was. She saw nothing. She didn’t know where it was or how it was gone. Then she remembered, it fell on the floor last night, but wasn’t there anymore. Her mom must have came in last night or early this morning and took it, and thats why she left the note?! She didn’t think her life could get worse.
She knew her mom loved her, and she would do anything for her. Finleigh was a wreck, and didn’t think she could make it herself, but something made her get a weird feeling again. She felt the need to keep going and push herself forward to do the best she can. No matter how many times she breaks, she was going to live her life to the fullest for her mom. To live life for her and do things that her mom would be proud of her for.


The author's comments:

I took the idea of a real problem, and turned it around into fictional story.