The Lesson | Teen Ink

The Lesson

November 7, 2014
By Austin larkins BRONZE, Cincinnati, Ohio
Austin larkins BRONZE, Cincinnati, Ohio
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The Lesson

Once upon a time there was a heroic man named Mr. Cash Out. He flew threw the streets in search of the big pay back. What is the big pay back you ask? Well you’re going to have to find out and listen to the rest of the story. Invisibruh a villainous villain that could disappear before you in the blink of an eye and owes Mr. Cash out some money, but every time Mr. Cash out “finds him” he disappears yet again. Mr. Cash out is a janitor by day and a debt collector by nights. During the late hours he rushes through the streets to collect debts from people he’s loaned money to. “Aye, you got my $5 bruh?” says Cash Out. “Nah mane, Imma have it tomorrow. You know I get paid every OTHER Friday.” says the local bum. “Common mane don’t play with me. I’m serious about my money.” he says while getting flustered. “Chill mane, I said I’ll have it tomorrow!”.

Mr. Cash out is hero to the citizens but his greed is his own kryptonite. He returns home to a cave filled with treasures, golds, and jewelry farther than the eye can see, but alas he is at a dismay because his cave is empty, not in riches but in love and friendship. “Money is my friend. I don’t need anybody else.” His dramatic screams echo through the cave.

Milo is a 10 year old boy with short brown hair and a beat down bubble coat that owes Mr. Cash out some money as well, but unlike the other bums, Milo is actually Mr. Cash out’s acquaintance and distant side kick (The Coin Boy). Cash Out and Coin Boy are unstoppable in the streets but the more they continue to collect debts, Milo begins to worry that Mr. Cash out is getting greedy to the point where his life is consumed by Money and will not be able to find somebody to share his riches with, a lover, a wife. Milo sits down with Cash Out in the Cash Cave to discuss his dilemma. “I’m worried about you. Don’t you wanna get married and settle down and have Money Babies?” Milo says. “Of course, I do. I just want to catch Invisibruh. He owes me $100 and I need it back to buy that new bike I wanted so bad!” Cash Out exclaims. “Look at yourself man! You don’t even ride bikes! You’re just harassing him because you have nothing better to do!”. “Wrong, I need my money back. From him, and YOU.”.”Here’s the money I owe you.” Tossing two quarters in his hands.  Mr. Cash Out contemplates. “Ok, how about this. If you help me catch Invisibruh, I’ll retire from being a hero, get married and have kids and what not. Deal?” Milo in the deepest of sighs “Deal.” they shake hands

After leaving the Cash cave they begin a long search, high in the highest of mountains, and low in the lowest of valleys. Through the river banks of the Amazon forest and the sand dunes of the Sahara Desert, and after a harsh snow storm they finallyyyyyyyyyyy reach the south pole. “We made it.” Milo the Coin Boy says in a huff or relief. “So, is this where Invisibruh is?” Mr. Cash Out says. “I have something to show you.” Milo walking several paces forward,  he reaches down and picks up a remote with a single red button. He picks it up and without a hesitation he pushes the button. An igloo rises out of the ground and Milo motions for Mr. Cash Out to follow him into the igloo. They begin to walk in the door and Milo peers it open ever so carefully and it’s a large room scaled with broken up mirrors. It’s a beautiful sight, ice dripping off the ceiling and theirs a slight hint of frost bite radiating off the walls.

As they both walk foreword there’s a gentle breeze as the seemingly large igloo has a climate of it’s own. Milo and Mr. Cash out stand before a mirror and look at it aimlessly for 5 minutes. “Soooo where’s he at?” Mr. Cash Out says with a smile. “You’re looking at him.” Milo says with a straight face. A confused Cash Out looks around. “Me? I’m Invisibruh?”. “No, I am.” Milo says with a dramatic flair. “I don’t- understand”. “Look. Invisibruh isn’t real, well, actually he is, because he’s me. I made him up so I could keep you busy, but it started to turn into a sick hobby. Loaning people money so you could harass them to get it back. I was hoping you’d give up on invisibruh so you wouldn’t find out the truth, but you did. The money changed you into somebody that I don’t like. You used to be fun, happy… and sane.” A saddened Milo explains to his friend. “ Sane? Truth? What truth? I’m ok. I’m better than ok.” He says while laughing. “No you aren’t you’re name isn’t even Mr. Cash Out, it’s Mr. Cobbs but you insisted I call you Cash Out because it sounded cool. Then you started to take this super hero persona that’s not even real, or funny.” Said while getting flustered. Mr. Cash Out laughing hysterically “What? that doesn’t even make any sense! What a load of baloney! Who are you anyways kid? Do I know you?” He looks around the room. “It’s me Milo, don't you remember me? Or anything?” Milo saddened. “No? Who the hell are you? And why is it so cold?
The room begins to turn and Cash Out begins to open his eyes, physically and looks around the room and he is crowded by a crying woman, a man in a suit and a doctor standing with a clip board in hand. “So he’s not gonna make it?” the woman says. “Well, his insurance will cover it. But it’s a slim chance that he’ll survive.” the doctor says disheartened. The woman begins to break down sobbing and leaves the room. “Shall we pull the plug?” the doctor ask. “I think it’s time to put him our of his misery.” the man whispers. Doctor reaching for the plug on the wall “Are you sure?”. “Yes. Yes. Do it before I change my mind.” The man shouts. The doctor gives a final nod before pulling the plug out the socket and pulling the mans eye lids down. “Goodbye. Dad. ” He whispers to the empty body where a soul used to be, but the finny thing is… his soul was gone long before he died.

The END.


The author's comments:

A tale about a man and his uncontrollable addiction.