Towards The Sea | Teen Ink

Towards The Sea

By Nicholas Giulianti BRONZE, Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Nicholas Giulianti BRONZE, Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Most afternoons seem to be the right time.  The time for Dennis to have another tea.  For Dennis, each day simply merged with the next in a perpetual cycle of everlasting life.  He’d seen many come and go in his time. Remembering the days of past was all that Dennis had left. A decent place to reminisce and ponder deeper thoughts with a small coffee was a tea shack named “Coffee On The Walk”.  The tiny shack was built with fine wood while the roof was probably similar to sheet metal.  The metal roof had rusted over the years with the passage of time.  Dennis walked along the rotted out boardwalk towards the shack.  As he entered, Dennis noticed small cuts and scratches along the side of the door with names and years carved into the wood.  He’d seen some which said things like “Maria ‘92” and “Joey ‘14”.  That had been such a long time ago.  Quickly, he sat at the seat which he always sat at, next to the table marked with even more names and years.  Dennis rose his bushy eyebrows to the waitress who knew exactly what he always ordered.  He’d noticed that his face felt incredibly wrinkled and his hands tired and dry almost as if Dennis kept trying to reach the fountain of youth but every time he almost touched its sweet and rejuvenating waters, it left this world for another. The waitress brought over the usual: a small, brewed tea that comes in a green cup next to a wrapped candy. Once the candy was open, a purple colored mint revealed itself.  He didn’t understand why he never tasted the mint and savored its flavor.  Dennis just stared at the mint unflinchingly.  He will stare at the mint, the rotted boardwalk, and the resting sea until he is older and grayer than today; until no Dennis stares out at the resting sea anymore.