Who am I? | Teen Ink

Who am I?

By sri.r BRONZE, Edison, New Jersey
sri.r BRONZE, Edison, New Jersey

"Why can't I just be happy?" and "In the end, it doesn't even matter"

Who am I?
I wake up every day. I brush my teeth, take a shower, eat my breakfast, and go to school. Life is a routine which does not seem like it’ll be broken. I tell myself to wait for the day that it changes, because change will happen before I am dead. It must.
It’s hard to tell what I’m doing at any given time. I know that I’m alive, getting ready for becoming a grown up, to lead a life in reality. The facts come out; I’m 14, I’m smart, I love sports, and I am alive. I am a living, breathing, thinking human being.
It’s the thinking that makes me wonder. Who am I, but a jumble of cells in a bag of water? I may be sentient, but what if that’s an illusion. Then I shake my head. I am alive. I have never been more alive, simply because I think I am. After all, what else dictates the fact that we are indeed alive?
I wake up, brush my teeth, shower, eat my breakfast, and go to school. Yet something has changed today. Something is different. It isn’t physical, no. It’s something mental. I am still the same swirling bag of water and oxygen and atoms and cells. But I’m not the same. I am not alive. I have never been alive. I will never be alive.
I am dead.

What else can I say?

Preferences
§
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
0
-
=
Backspace

Tab
q
w
e
r
t
y
u
i
o
p
[
]

Return

capslock
a
s
d
f
g
h
j
k
l
;
'
\

shift
`
z
x
c
v
b
n
m
,
.
/
shift

English

alt
alt

Preferences