Domus Diuorum Creationis Ex Nihilo, et Portus Sex | Teen Ink

Domus Diuorum Creationis Ex Nihilo, et Portus Sex

September 23, 2014
By ANonamedFoe GOLD, Bear, Delaware
ANonamedFoe GOLD, Bear, Delaware
11 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, you'll be a mile away from them, and you'll have their shoes." - Jack Handy


There is a story that our ancestors used to tell about how our world came to be.  The story is not one told very often, and it is one most have forgotten.  But we cannot forget.  This is our history, and this tale has been passed down from generation to generation. 

 

In the beginning, there were six havens.  Each one of these havens was home to one of the five essential elements: Aquae (water), Ignis (fire), Aëra (air), Terrae (earth), Lux (light), and Nox (night); as well as the Domus de Divinus Res, the home of the Divinus Enstis (divine beings) lived.  These six havens were surrounded by Nihil (nothing).  Nihil was a life-giving element that all things were made of; it was also the dark substance that surrounded and was constantly trying to consume all the havens.  The Divinus Enstis protected the havens and their inhabitants from the Nihil.  Each haven had a brave Divinus Virri (divine hero).  On Aquae, the great Divinus Virri was the fiery Draconis Sigillum Phoca (dragon-seal) who protected his like-minded water creatures from the ruthless and ferocious Nithlings, Nihil’s children.  The fierce Draconis (dragon), Draconis Sigillum Phoca’s father, was the Divinus Virri for Ignus, the fire haven, and he protected both the other havens and the fire haven from the horrifying monsters and beasts that inhabited the Nihil.  Brave Aquila (eagle) and energetic Simius (monkey) kept watch over Aëra and Terrae.  Meanwhile, the Adversus siblings, the quick-footed Silvae Feles (jungle cat) and the loyal Canis (dog), worked as seamless team keeping the Nithlings away from Lux and Nox.  In charge of all of the Divinus Virri was the Probus Deus (good god).  He often took on the form of a bear, and he was said to use his massive weight and muscle to barrel into his enemies, his enormous paws to swipe at his enemies and to crush their bones. 


Nihil was said to have disappeared, leaving her daughter, Arenae (spider), to control the Nithlings.  Arenae was said to have the ability to weave or spin new havens with her life-giving yarn.  The Divinus Enstis feared what would happen should Arenae create a new haven, a haven with inhabitants who were ten times more powerful than they were.  Arenae did not wish to start a war, so she proposed a plan to the Probus Deus; each one of the havens could give the new haven a gift, and Arenae would trap the Nithlings in fiery little balls of light that she would then send so far away that you could barely see them.  So together the Divinus Virri, Probus Deus, and Arenae began to work on the new haven: the first haven, Aquae, gave the haven the gift of water; the second, Ignis, gave the gift of warmth, heat, and fire; the next haven, Aëra, gave the new haven the gift of fresh air and a cool breeze; Terrae, gave the haven a ground for the haven’s inhabitants to walk and live upon; Lux and Nox gave the haven the gift of night and day, with Nox as spherical light in the night, and Lux as a large fiery looking ball of light in the day.  Arenae gave the haven the final touch by creating a new kind of being called Hominis.  Hominis looked like a Divinus Enstis in their true form and creatures called Animalia (animals), who were modeled after the Divinus Virri and their children. 

 

This is our people’s creation story, may you pass it on to the generations after you.  Teach your young the way of creation, they deserve to know.


The author's comments:

I got this idea last year in my English class.  We were studying the Native American creation myths and folklore, when I got this fleeting idea.  I've fleshed it out and this is what I came up with.