A Wish For Her This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category.

“Is that her?”
“What? Who?”
“Shh … here she comes.”

“Oh … her.”

We avert our eyes as she walks by. We clutch our books tightly to our chests, stare down at our sneakers, and hold our breath as she passes. Whispers follow her like shadows as she scurries up the stone stairs, through the metal doors. Lisa and I exchange looks. The bell rings in our ears, and we head inside.

“Who’s she with today?” Lisa asks at lunch.

“Toby,” I scoff, biting into my ­sandwich.

“Figures. Apparently they had a great time at Jack’s apartment last weekend.” I make a face.

“Disgusting.” Lisa laughs.

“I bet she has all sorts of diseases.”

“I bet she’s wearing his sweatshirt. The one that smells as bad as he does.”

“I bet she’s gonna be one of those girls who never goes to college and ends up on the street.”

“I bet she’s gonna be a …” I look around to make sure no teachers are listening, “whore.”

That’s her new name. It spreads like a foul disease around the school, through the hallways, passed from one lip-gloss-smeared mouth to the next. Some kids just call her “The W,” or “The H” for the stupid ones who can’t spell. It’s what she is. It’s who she is. And none of us like her. None except Toby and Mitchell and all those guys who are too dumb to see her for who she really is. We see her kissing guys in the alley after school each day, like she doesn’t even care, like she doesn’t even know.

Don’t worry, we’re gonna make her realize who she really is. We’re gonna make her feel so bad she’ll shrink like a little mouse and learn her lesson and stay away from all of them, especially Devin, who liked me all of sixth grade ’til she stole him last summer.

We isolate her. We don’t speak to her, not even when she asks what the homework for last night was. Find it out yourself, stupid. We leave notes in her locker, and we snicker as she walks by.

Have you learned your lesson yet, princess? Are you ever gonna stop wearing so much lipstick and eyeliner and skirts that are way too short? Are you ever gonna put out that cigarette or throw out those bottles? You’re 13 – what’s wrong with you? Didn’t your parents ever teach you what’s right and wrong? Half the grade hates you. Sticks and stones, you say, but soon it’ll be real. I will smash up your pretty face if I have to. I’ll break your bones. I could snap your neck over my knee.

***

I walk home from Lisa’s house, and I take the long way because I want to look at the moon and the stars. I want to cross the cornfield, because once I saw a shooting star. I have to walk through the sketchy neighborhood to get there, though, but I should be okay if I hurry.

Suddenly, I hear a man’s voice ­coming from one of the houses, the one with the shingles falling off and the rusty car in the driveway. He is yelling. I rush behind a tree, heart ­racing so loud I’m sure he can hear. Suddenly I see a familiar figure. It’s her. She and the man are yelling at each other. He lashes out at her, and I wince. I can hear the slap.

And then the door closes. She is alone, and she sits on her porch steps. And she cries. I’ve never seen her cry before. Alone, with no boys, out in the cold night, crying, crying, crying so hard she can’t breathe. Her tears make ugly black lines down her face. And suddenly, she looks up, and our eyes lock. I run.

I run past the houses and the deli and the gas station with the creepy owner, and the ice cream store where we get really great slushies. I cross the street, my heart racing, out of breath and into the lush grass of the cornfield. I collapse on the ground, my arms and legs spread apart, trying to catch my breath and hold back the tears, though I can’t understand why they’re coming.

She was so alone. So sad. She is loved by no one but those boys. And I’m not sure they even really love her.

Suddenly I look up and see something sparkle across the indigo sky, a little explosion of white like a firecracker on the Fourth. I close my eyes.

And I wish for her.

This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category. This piece won the January 2009 Teen Ink Fiction Contest.

Emily123 said...
Jan. 18, 2009 at 5:57 am:
This is really good! :-) If I were going to change it at all, I would add some expanded vocabulary and maybe some more adjectives, but I'm a fan of really descriptive stuff. This is a great story for a teen writer! Keep working!

R.A.R said...
You should publish, you have a gift. You are a REAL writer. No one can say other wise, for you know the truth.

Stardust said...
Jan. 16, 2009 at 4:41 am:
Beautiful story. You have very nice description...it all feels very realistic and true. Good job!

sharpeigirl said...
Your story is so relatable to many girls; the loneliness, the pain... You have a future in writing, you do an awesome job.

Jbyrd44 said...
Jan. 7, 2009 at 2:38 am:
This was a really good piece. You pulled in my attention from the first couple lines and made me want to keep reading. Keep up the writing.

Steph109 said...
I really enjoyed reading this. Very well done work. Excellent.

farmgirl55 said...
Jan. 4, 2009 at 1:16 am:
This was a wonderful story!

CABhahahaHPhahaTL said...
Jan. 3, 2009 at 5:36 am:
You are a great writer, I almost want you to write a book on that. Keep up the writing and the spirit.

thesmartchic said...
Jan. 3, 2009 at 12:54 am:
This was an excellent short story. Well-written, good description, not telling but showing. Keep up the good work!

forgettingmyfaults said...
Jan. 2, 2009 at 4:29 am:
this was beautiful. even tho it was bad how the "w" girl was treated, it's good that you showed how horrible it was and how even YOU participated in it... and how you understood and felt guilty and... everything. your story puts me in my place. thank you.

Xx Cherry Appl xX said...
Dec. 31, 2008 at 9:55 am:
THIS IS REALLY GOOD HAVE YOU THOUGHT OF BEING A WRiter wen you are older i love it??

Black Deathxxxiv said...
Feb. 25, 2009 at 8:05 pm:
excellent hands down i loved it. The intro was... needless to say i have no words for this spectacular peice of writing.

black_angel replied...
Feb. 8, 2011 at 5:14 pm :
so good!! keep up the good work! this was amazing :D