A Wish For Her This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category.

“Is that her?”
“What? Who?”
“Shh … here she comes.”

“Oh … her.”

We avert our eyes as she walks by. We clutch our books tightly to our chests, stare down at our sneakers, and hold our breath as she passes. Whispers follow her like shadows as she scurries up the stone stairs, through the metal doors. Lisa and I exchange looks. The bell rings in our ears, and we head inside.

“Who’s she with today?” Lisa asks at lunch.

“Toby,” I scoff, biting into my ­sandwich.

“Figures. Apparently they had a great time at Jack’s apartment last weekend.” I make a face.

“Disgusting.” Lisa laughs.

“I bet she has all sorts of diseases.”

“I bet she’s wearing his sweatshirt. The one that smells as bad as he does.”

“I bet she’s gonna be one of those girls who never goes to college and ends up on the street.”

“I bet she’s gonna be a …” I look around to make sure no teachers are listening, “whore.”

That’s her new name. It spreads like a foul disease around the school, through the hallways, passed from one lip-gloss-smeared mouth to the next. Some kids just call her “The W,” or “The H” for the stupid ones who can’t spell. It’s what she is. It’s who she is. And none of us like her. None except Toby and Mitchell and all those guys who are too dumb to see her for who she really is. We see her kissing guys in the alley after school each day, like she doesn’t even care, like she doesn’t even know.

Don’t worry, we’re gonna make her realize who she really is. We’re gonna make her feel so bad she’ll shrink like a little mouse and learn her lesson and stay away from all of them, especially Devin, who liked me all of sixth grade ’til she stole him last summer.

We isolate her. We don’t speak to her, not even when she asks what the homework for last night was. Find it out yourself, stupid. We leave notes in her locker, and we snicker as she walks by.

Have you learned your lesson yet, princess? Are you ever gonna stop wearing so much lipstick and eyeliner and skirts that are way too short? Are you ever gonna put out that cigarette or throw out those bottles? You’re 13 – what’s wrong with you? Didn’t your parents ever teach you what’s right and wrong? Half the grade hates you. Sticks and stones, you say, but soon it’ll be real. I will smash up your pretty face if I have to. I’ll break your bones. I could snap your neck over my knee.

***

I walk home from Lisa’s house, and I take the long way because I want to look at the moon and the stars. I want to cross the cornfield, because once I saw a shooting star. I have to walk through the sketchy neighborhood to get there, though, but I should be okay if I hurry.

Suddenly, I hear a man’s voice ­coming from one of the houses, the one with the shingles falling off and the rusty car in the driveway. He is yelling. I rush behind a tree, heart ­racing so loud I’m sure he can hear. Suddenly I see a familiar figure. It’s her. She and the man are yelling at each other. He lashes out at her, and I wince. I can hear the slap.

And then the door closes. She is alone, and she sits on her porch steps. And she cries. I’ve never seen her cry before. Alone, with no boys, out in the cold night, crying, crying, crying so hard she can’t breathe. Her tears make ugly black lines down her face. And suddenly, she looks up, and our eyes lock. I run.

I run past the houses and the deli and the gas station with the creepy owner, and the ice cream store where we get really great slushies. I cross the street, my heart racing, out of breath and into the lush grass of the cornfield. I collapse on the ground, my arms and legs spread apart, trying to catch my breath and hold back the tears, though I can’t understand why they’re coming.

She was so alone. So sad. She is loved by no one but those boys. And I’m not sure they even really love her.

Suddenly I look up and see something sparkle across the indigo sky, a little explosion of white like a firecracker on the Fourth. I close my eyes.

And I wish for her.

This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category. This piece won the January 2009 Teen Ink Fiction Contest.

writer011 said...
Mar. 15, 2009 at 1:52 am:
I love this very much. Keep up the great work!

hana104 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 14, 2009 at 4:59 pm:
its a nice story.i do wish it were longer though...i'd like to read more of it..

alexk said...
Mar. 14, 2009 at 3:32 am:
that was a good story...i liked it a lot.
if anyone wants to read another story you can check mine out if you go to advanced search and type in

the reason i am telling people on here is because it doesnt seem to be popular and so no1 reads it but i like to get complements/contructive criticism cuz it makes me feal better about myself =P

first name:alex
last initial:k
story title: One Long Note

Kathleen B. said...
Mar. 13, 2009 at 5:57 pm:
At first, I thought the girl who was narrating was a b****. And maybe she still is. But I was glad that she realized that people are the way they are for all kinds of reasons. Some people never learn that lesson. This is very well written, great job.

Terd_Ferguson said...
Mar. 13, 2009 at 5:53 pm:
That was very entertaining. It was good enough my teacher had our whole class read it.

.Shakespeare. said...
Mar. 9, 2009 at 3:14 am:
This is really good!!! I enjoyed it a lot!! Keep it up!!!

LaLaLindsy said...
Mar. 9, 2009 at 1:15 am:
this was absolutely wonderful. i loved it. it could have actually happened the way you wrote it so well!

Tessa B. said...
Mar. 9, 2009 at 12:55 am:
wow that was powerful and extremely well written! i love it

MickBeth4ever said...
Mar. 6, 2009 at 3:42 am:
loved this story as much as your other one! Fabulous

Marcus A. said...
Mar. 6, 2009 at 2:49 am:
This is really good, I really like the perspective. Keep it up.

LovinLife-LivinLove said...
Mar. 5, 2009 at 11:59 pm:
Oh my gosh, it's fabulous! You really know how to end a story!

Banglagirl101 said...
Mar. 5, 2009 at 4:45 am:
This piece is great! I really loved how the character acts and thinks like shes 13.
It was very descriptive. Keep up the awesome work!! I'd love to read more of your pieces!!

Kennedy W. said...
Mar. 5, 2009 at 12:39 am:
amazing really intresting keep writing id love to read more

chrissy V. said...
Mar. 4, 2009 at 11:24 pm:
oh man. i loved this. it's amazing. it really brings a tear to the eye. i love the suprise twist in it. you'd never expect that. this is so realistic.i can picture it in my head. you have some serious skill.

hailey said...
Mar. 4, 2009 at 3:28 pm:
i love it! you are a amazing writer!

Decker said...
Mar. 2, 2009 at 9:26 pm:
Your story was strong and compelling with a grain of truth in it.

white chocolate said...
Mar. 2, 2009 at 2:14 pm:
its an alrite article keep the good work up

AnAuthenticAuthor2B said...
Mar. 2, 2009 at 12:45 am:
One of the things most people have trouble with in writing is making the characters feel real. You did a great job of bringing the characters to life and humanizing them. Great job on instead of just making one of the characters evil, as most people do in this modern age, giving them depth to why they made their decisions! I really enjoyed your story. I salute you!

lucy said...
Mar. 2, 2009 at 12:00 am:
your story caught my eye,definitaly worth reading!young teenage girls/boys often find things such as ; boys/girls,drugs,alchol,and things of this sort as something they feel will love them back.this article was very well written there is no other way to say it better.articles like this are what help our hurting teens.keep at it!

courtney B. said...
Feb. 28, 2009 at 4:51 pm:
that was really good.. the first line gripped me in to keep reading i love this... you are a really good writter