The Randomizer This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Jeff glanced at the piece of paper in his hand once more, as if to confirm that he had found the correct office. It was so confusing here – all the identical white halls made this branch of Heaven seem like a labyrinth. At last, Jeff decided that this was the right place, and he cautiously opened the door.

The room was not especially large, but it was impressive nonetheless. The walls were just as white as every other room in Heaven, but they seemed to have a subtle apricot tinge. Distributed evenly throughout the room were six identical white desks, each with two people (one on each side). On each desk was a large screen displaying various statistics. In the center was another workstation with multiple small screens. The spotless marble floor reflected everything perfectly, except where a perfect red circle had been painted, along with the words, “That which lives must die.”

A man seated at the center desk stood up as Jeff entered the room, while everyone else looked up to see what was happening. He grinned and said in a deep, loud voice: “This must be the new techie! Hello to you. I’m Aldric, the head of the Mortality Department.”

“Hello to you too,” Jeff responded hesitantly. “My name is …” he paused. “Jeff. That’s right.”

“Oh, you must still be disoriented from your arrival,” Aldric observed. “You don’t look like you could be older than, say, your teen years, so you must have had an unnatural death. That may have made the confusion worse – but it will pass after a while.”

“I guess that’s good. I don’t really know why I’m here. Someone just handed me this paper and told me to come to this office.”

“You’ve been assigned to the Mortality Department as a tech specialist. The note I received tells me that you were quite the computer aficionado in life. You must also enjoy it quite a bit, or you’d never have been assigned to this job. You’re going to be caring for one of the most important machines in existence!”

“Really?” Jeff’s face lit up.

“We call it the Randomizer, and it is the technological masterpiece that runs everything you see around you.” He raised his hand as if to indicate the strange screens, the endless streams of data, and the large monitors on the walls that displayed maps of the globe. “The Randomizer is the dealer of death. It ­determines when it is time for a living human to die.”

“You mean it just picks that at random?” Jeff asked, incredulous.

“Nonsense! It requires careful calibration almost constantly. We tweak the machine to favor certain demographic groups when it selects who dies. For instance, the elderly are more likely to be selected. Someone near a burning building ­instantly has a much higher chance of death by fire. A smoker has a higher chance of fatal lung cancer. And all of this ­data is carefully tweaked every minute of the day.”

Aldric led his new protégé around the room, showing off the technology. The screens on the desks each showed a continent, listing the names of the deceased in rapid fire. The sixth desk handled island nations and the few souls living at the poles. Larger displays on the walls showed the overall mortality rate for the world and various countries, as well as which causes of death were most common. In the center was that circular desk with the open interior, where a swivel chair rested. More screens were positioned on all sides of this desk.

“This is where you’ll be working,” Aldric explained, beaming. “I’ve been manning it since our last techie retired, but now it’s all yours. I’ll show you the ropes and then you can start working right away – adjusting the probabilities to accommodate the constant changes in the world and such. All the information you could ever need is here on the screen – the rest is left to your wit and skill.”

“Hang on a second – there’s a manual override or something, right?”

“Pardon me?”

“I mean, if God needs to take someone for some reason, whatever his reason is. I know you can’t question that – he can do that, right?”

“Whatever for?” Aldric asked. “That system was revised centuries ago, and even then it didn’t work. We had to discard it outright. It hasn’t been practical since medieval times. With so many people in the world, it’s all that the Randomizer can do to even keep track of them. How can you expect God to sift through all that each day? Besides, when he got bored … let’s just say we had to take that little toy away from him.”

“Well … then there’s some kind of probability rule that favors good people, right?” Jeff asked. “Aren’t bad people more likely to die?”

“What difference does it make when they’ll have an eternal afterlife anyway? No, it’s totally random. No one dies for reasons like that anymore. Not everything can have purpose like that – when humans are so numerous, you have to leave it to chance, you see?”

“To … chance? But … but what if ….”

“Hold on! I guess I wasn’t clear enough, was I? We sometimes target particular people, if it’s really necessary.”

“Oh,” Jeff sighed, some color returning to his face.

“Take your death, for instance. We needed a new techie!” Aldric laughed heartily. “So … does that about cover everything?” Aldric waited for an answer, but none came – his replacement had fled the room.

***

The blurriness in his mind had begun to clear, and Jeff had remembered the moment of his death. As it flashed through his head, he had turned and run from the room. Now, as he sprinted down the deceptively white hallways, the scene replayed over and over. He remembered the pain in his limbs, the scattered textbooks he had been taking to school, the shattered windshield … and his father kneeling beside him, ignoring his own wounds, as life faded from Jeff’s eyes.

“It’s okay, son,” his dad had said through his tears. “God had his reasons … God must have had his reasons ….”

lucygirl26 said...
Oct. 2, 2011 at 10:05 am:
Wow. GREAT work, GREAT ending. I loved this!

burgerman said...
Sept. 30, 2011 at 8:28 am:
OH, GOODNESS, this is truly fantastic. I'd pay $7 just to read this little story. I knew I'd love it when I saw the title. Please read "Lioness" and "The Moon Man" under my work!

swannie said...
Sept. 12, 2011 at 7:16 am:
Superb. This piece could easily have been written as a screen play for the Twilight Zone. I hate to break it to some of those who made previous comments about wanting more to this particular story, but I believe this piece IS finished! It does exactly what it's supposed to do. I'm really impressed – both as a former high school English teacher and as a writer with an MFA in Creative Writing. Congratulations on a horrifying, provocative, creative, ironic story! Wish I'd thought of that...

storm lily said...
This is my favorite piece ever! write the sequel soon!

Snake_Tounge said...
Jul. 30, 2011 at 10:29 pm:
To be perfectly honest, I was actually a wee bit bored in the beginning paragraph, but found the rest of the story AMAZING! Thankyou for sharing that :)

writerfreak21231This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 30, 2011 at 1:04 pm:
I LOVED THE STORY!!! Great job and keep on writing!!! one of my stories was just posted. if anyone could read it that would be great. Its called: Alien Invasion Series: Book One: The Caller. just click my user name and then that story and start reading, I enjoy the comments and feedback! :)(:

Dragonslayer5000 said...
Jul. 2, 2011 at 4:33 pm:
That was good. Great grmmar, and it was a good plot.

Nina.C said...
Jun. 27, 2011 at 2:23 pm:
This is INCREDIBLE!

Meko8195 said...
May 23, 2011 at 12:02 pm:
D:< I DEMAND THAT YOU FINISH THIS IMMEDIATELY!!!!.....plz?

OfPinsandNeedles said...
May 17, 2011 at 2:00 am:
Great work, you answered many questions subtly!!! Keep writing!

19385736478920371234 said...
May 12, 2011 at 1:32 pm:
it seems pretty interesting to me i like it. i hope i dont die in my mid-tens like that.

stargrl said...
May 1, 2011 at 12:23 pm:
this is interesting! i loved the irony of "God had his reasons" :)

mayo.girlie97 said...
Apr. 23, 2011 at 10:55 am:
wow! very creative idea! i loved it!

Nimthiriel said...
Apr. 13, 2011 at 9:32 am:
Wow, that was really good! I actually started a novel-like version of a similar story, with the heaven/premature death=confusion in the afterlife....great minds think alike! :)

RiverSong said...
Mar. 21, 2011 at 6:27 pm:
This totally blew my mind.  Very well-written.  The last paragraph is a bit confusing--well, at least it was confusing to me, maybe I should go re-read it.  Maybe work on clarifying that.  But regardless... five stars!

maxcohen123455 said...
Feb. 16, 2011 at 8:17 am:
just kidding it was good

maxcohen12345 said...
Feb. 16, 2011 at 8:16 am:
i was bored after the first paragraph

ElectroMagneticPulse said...
Feb. 12, 2011 at 11:54 am:

Whoa! When I saw the articles title I wasn't expecting this. You just blew my mind - introduced a whole other type of sci-fi I'd never given much thought to before. Wow - my mind just did a 180!

Incredible!

TechnicolorNightmare said...
Feb. 8, 2011 at 5:10 pm:
Incredible story. Very imaginative. I feel it's very well written.

RainyWriterThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 4, 2011 at 9:37 pm:
It was quirky, and yet it was that type of quirky that eases the reader in to a deeper subject. The end was perfect, makes you wonder if God really does have his reasons. Loved it!